What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Payten released - Now a Tiger

Mighty Tiger

Bench
skeepe said:
Sure, the young guy won't count, but how do you explain them signing Gavin Lester from the Bulldogs the same time Payten was told he would have to leave? That would seem more worrying and hypocritical to me

I am sure that Lester would be alot cheaper to have at the club than what Payten would of been even with the 30% costs paid for by the raiders.

Kiwi

First Grade
Mighty Tiger said:
Kiwi said:
I thought the NSWRL had a salary cap restriction also?

They do I think its a cap of around $250,000 to spend just for PL.

I remember reading an article or post by bumber dwyer I think it was on the cap for premier league, and it isn't much that they can spend on players who are contracted for premier league.

Also I just found out that Chris Walker was willing to take a pay cut to stay at the Roosters. Who here honestly believes that if he was willing to take a pay cut to stay his contract is the 45 grand for this year we have been told it is? Who would take a pay cut when earning 45 grand?

skeepe

Immortal
Mighty Tiger said:
skeepe said:
Sure, the young guy won't count, but how do you explain them signing Gavin Lester from the Bulldogs the same time Payten was told he would have to leave? That would seem more worrying and hypocritical to me

I am sure that Lester would be alot cheaper to have at the club than what Payten would of been even with the 30% costs paid for by the raiders.

Of course, but how can the Roosters lose Grothe, Walker, Payten, Lomu and Williams, pick up only Lester and still have no room to move under the salary cap? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Kiwi

First Grade
skeepe said:
Mighty Tiger said:
skeepe said:

Of course, but how can the Roosters lose Grothe, Walker, Payten, Lomu and Williams, pick up only Lester and still have no room to move under the salary cap? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Of the players you listed only Grothe was offered a new contract. All the others weren't, Walker, Payten and Lomu let go with the salary cap being very publically blamed. If you have to release players because they put you over the cap then that doesn't free up very much spending money if any at all. Or did they use the cap as an excuse to cut loose a few players they didn't want anymore? Also Grothe was on an incentive based contract, something Rooster fans have made very clear, so him going wouldn't have freed up much money either.

Mighty Tiger

Bench
skeepe said:
Mighty Tiger said:
skeepe said:

Just goes to show that they are over the cap!

Also note that they would have upgraded alot of the juniors from PL who made there debut this season as well.

Latest posts