What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tom Johnstone

Frank Facer

First Grade
At first I was not very interested in signing a Pommy winger, but after watching the highlights video, I am now very keen that we sign Johnstone. He is quick, he knows how to score a try, he can beat a man on his own, he has good instincts. He looks like a great winger. If we sign him, I would put him straight onto one wing.

Crush

Coach
So he has been approached by an nrl club. 1/16 chance! Actually probably closer to 1/8 chance. Half the clubs already have way better wingers than this guy....

Wildie

Juniors
Johnstone has started well this year, hat trick in his first game away against Hull KR (highlights below)

Didn't score in the 2nd game of the year, but was at fault with his positioning for Salford's last minute try

hazzbeen

Bench
So he has been approached by an nrl club. 1/16 chance! Actually probably closer to 1/8 chance. Half the clubs already have way better wingers than this guy....
Come on Crush your normally more positive than most on here . You wouldn't be happy if we signed him ? Or your happy with our wingers now ?

Crush

Coach
Come on Crush your normally more positive than most on here . You wouldn't be happy if we signed him ? Or your happy with our wingers now ?
Id be happy if we signed him I was just making the comment that there is nothing to suggest that he has been linked with dragons other than "an nrl club" is looking to sign him so why are we even talking about him?

RufusRex

Post Whore
Have been told that we have approached him .. but also that we have approached in some way about 95% of all players coming off contract .. so whether or not that means anything I don't know.

This is no 28 year old SL player .. he is young and has the attributes ie speed, size.

Doesn't mean he is a walk up start in an NRL team but he may be worth looking at. Problem will be the transfer fee .. As he shines in SL they will expect a chunk of cash for him despite being unproven at NRL level. Makes it a risky deal.

Who was the last outside back to show any ability in NRL - Carney?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Johnstone has started well this year, hat trick in his first game away against Hull KR (highlights below)

Didn't score in the 2nd game of the year, but was at fault with his positioning for Salford's last minute try

Can finish even from 20m out (now whete have i heard that before?) But like a lot of Pommy wingers his defense is almost non-existant.
Attack = 9/10
Defense = 2/10
Paying up a transfer fee + salary just doesnt get me excited about him.
Yes we need to look at wingers who are fast and can finish but they should also be able to defend. I'm not an advocate for scoring 1length of the field try (cheering vocally) whilst allowing 2 soft c*^# try's (WTF! vocally).
We need a good balance of speed and defense, not someone who oposition coaches will work out quickly where to focus their attack.
I'm not against signing him but he needs to show a lot more before I will jump on the bandwagon.

Redhoopz

Juniors
Oh no, not the Youtube highlights again..... never heard of him and now hearing we should sign him! if only this forum was in charge of recruitment!!

He looks good, but it's the Super League....not saying he can't do it in the NRL but I think it's time we invested into our youth....We have some great prospects, they just need to be given a chance!

hazzbeen

Bench
Id be happy if we signed him I was just making the comment that there is nothing to suggest that he has been linked with dragons other than "an nrl club" is looking to sign him so why are we even talking about him?
Mate lets hope that we are in the mix for him ....

Gareth67

First Grade
Not too sure about this chap , more so after his knee injury ( I still have nightmares about Mose Masoe ) . He certainly looks the goods however there are a few juniors that have outstanding potential if only given the opportunity. I believe that we would be mad to sign him until we know for a fact that he knee has indeed returned to 100% capacity.

Carlton

Juniors
Prima facie he looks the goods but, I would still like to know what he will cost, whether there is a transfer fee, when he will be available and what his defence is like. If all these things are OK, grab him.

hazzbeen

Bench
Oh no, not the Youtube highlights again..... never heard of him and now hearing we should sign him! if only this forum was in charge of recruitment!!

He looks good, but it's the Super League....not saying he can't do it in the NRL but I think it's time we invested into our youth....We have some great prospects, they just need to be given a chance!
Exactly this if we were giving our young blokes a good go we wouldn't even be thinking we need to sign him .

Redhoopz

Juniors
Exactly this if we were giving our young blokes a good go we wouldn't even be thinking we need to sign him .

I would only be looking elsewhere if our youngsters aren't good enough after they've had a fair crack at FG. They've got to be given a chance first.

The same people that want this guy now, will be the same people whinging about one of our juniors leaving and carving up at a new club because this guy took their spot.

The Clan

Juniors

Exactly the way I feel about the SL, we should limit the overseas contingent to 2 per club and give young U.K. born players a chance.

Latest posts