What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tomahawks

Fighter

Juniors
Only ones I know of:
Casey Clark
Jared Frymoyer
Mike Garvey
Craig Priestly

Curtis Cunz??
Apple Pope??

Last edited:

Fatwing15

Juniors
Nice to see some local boys being rewarded with a free trip to Hawaii. I wonder if they are only taking players that are playing this year? Anyone know who is selecting the team?

Rugbyflorida

Juniors
Ive been watching the Axemen for several years now, anyone know if Apple Pope or Taylor Alley were considered in selections?

Would love to see some guys from down south represent.

Fighter

Juniors
Here is the squad:
Casey Clark
Jared Frymoyer
Mike Garvey
Shane Begin
Craig Priestly
Tui Samoa
The Howard brothers
Dave Marando
Mark Cantoni
Kristian Freed
Matt Shipway
Jason Reygo
Taylor Welch
Judah Lovulo
Ofa the Giant
No Curtis or Apple pope this time

Last edited:

deal.with.it

Juniors
Does anyone know where some of these guys currently play?

Taylor Welch supposedly signed with Oxford but I don't think that eventuated.
Craig Priestly's Southampton Dragons don't exist anymore.

Casey Clark (Phily?)
Jared Frymoyer (Phily)
Mike Garvey (Phily)
Shane Begin
Craig Priestly
Tui Samoa (Redcliffe)
The Howard brothers (Wenty & Tuggeranong?)
Dave Marando (Manly A Grade comp?)
Mark Cantoni
Kristian Freed
Matt Shipway (Boston)
Jason Reygo
Taylor Welch
Judah Lovulo
Ofa the Giant (Hawaii?)

expansionist

Juniors
thats a good question, i was wondering too.

I asked Taylor Welch that on twitter in response to some news he posted about the squad and he didnt answer.

Fighter

Juniors
Casey was with the Fight last year we couldn't pay for his travel this year. Begin is on the 13s. Priestly plays for the Brooklyn Kings. Frymoyer and Garvey both on the Fight. No idea where the rest are from.

spinnerhowland

Juniors
There are a number of players in the USA, and some who got a call in Australia, who do not recognize the current process as being a true representation of Rugby League in the USA, and want nothing to do with the current national team. The sad part is they do not see any real value in playing for their nation at the moment.
Kind of odd there are players on this team who are not registered to play Rugby League in any competition at all.

Rugger

Juniors
There are a number of players in the USA, and some who got a call in Australia, who do not recognize the current process as being a true representation of Rugby League in the USA, and want nothing to do with the current national team.

It is 100% NOT a representation of Rugby League in the USA. No question about it.

Kind of odd there are players on this team who are not registered to play Rugby League in any competition at all.

Exactly...The national team should ONLY consist of CURRENT players in the USARL (and AMNRL, if they continue to exist), that are US citizens, and there should be representation from each/most of the teams.

There are GOOD players (better than some of the existing Tomahawks players I've seen in action) that should at least have a chance at the squad, but never will because of a dodgy selection process.

Last edited:

Choo Choo

Juniors
There are GOOD players (better than some of the existing Tomahawks players I've seen in action) that should at least have a chance at the squad, but never will because of a dodgy selection process.

Right now, the USARL has no say in the national team selection process. Until the USARL is the recognized governing body in the USA, the dodgy selection process will continue.

I completely agree that there are equal, if not better, players in the USARL than the ones selected for the match on Sat.

Rugbyflorida

Juniors
There are a number of players in the USA, and some who got a call in Australia, who do not recognize the current process as being a true representation of Rugby League in the USA, and want nothing to do with the current national team. The sad part is they do not see any real value in playing for their nation at the moment.

Who makes the squad?

Steve Davy

Juniors
Shane Begin certainly looked promising a few years ago, he is a good player. I am rather happy that he is getting a game.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Right now, the USARL has no say in the national team selection process. Until the USARL is the recognized governing body in the USA, the dodgy selection process will continue.

I completely agree that there are equal, if not better, players in the USARL than the ones selected for the match on Sat.

So why are there some USARL players being picked for the US team but obviously not all are being considered? Has this been to reward the players who were previously aligned with the AMNRL?

I question why the game has been labelled as Rugby rather than Rugby League in a place where we want to try and differentiate the different codes?

Craigo

Juniors
David Niu @davidniu7 · 15h
Go hard #Crossover stud 'Big Ofa' from #hawaii playing @USATomahawks on Sat. He played in @ArenaFLChina Allstar game pic.twitter.com/O2WNMTov8a
Embedded image permalink

Here's one bloke.... ArenaFLChina? The sooner the USARL are running things the better. How is that going by the way?

league13

Juniors
Niu certainly knows how too hang in there, just wish he would disappear.Don't know what the game will be like,seeing that the majority won't be match fit.

MattyCLark

Juniors
For years Apple Pope played for the Tomahawks and wasn't playing for a current team.

You want my 2 cents. 5+ years ago when the split happened I was a top pick for the squad. As were many other Axemen players. When I asked Spinner if the split was gonna effect my selection. I was told "mate this is bigger then your career". So I humbly took a back seat. As did other players.
Over the years and after the dust settled. I learned it's not. Now I'm the only player in the WORLD with 2 USARL GF's from 2 different teams . And after the treatment that Nui and his crew of AMNRL MINIONS treated me and my fellow USA team mates. I was glad that I stayed and played with my little brother. Many of us natural AMERICAN players have sacrificed and payed ALOT. For the game of RL to be here. So if my little brother gets a free trip to Hawaii to play RL for the Steve Johnson Tomahawks. F#&K YEAH. I'm fine with that. And I don't play Rugby anymore. Political BS ruined it for me.

Last edited: