What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tonga, Rogers centres for QLD....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Rogers back in line for Origin

June 26, 2007
FORMER Australia rugby star Mat Rogers has been cleared by his club and Queensland officials for a return to State of Origin after seven years.
But it appears he is behind Bulldogs centre Willie Tonga in the queue.
Rogers is being considered for a spot in the Maroons after hitting top form for the Titans, with Broncos centre Brent Tate in doubt with a knee injury.

Gold Coast coach John Cartwright gave his blessing for Rogers - who played five Origins in 1999 and 2000 - to play in the third and final match of the series, although Maroons selector Des Morris revealed he wasn't first in line.

"He's always a chance I suppose but the bottom line is that a younger player like Willie Tonga is more likely to get the nod especially as he has been part of Origin in recent times," Morris said.

"Willie had a good game for the Bulldogs against Manly the other night and he's getting back to where he should be after that knee injury sidelined him for so long.

"I wouldn't say we wouldn't go to Mat but if a player like Willie is available there is no need to. It would be a bit out of left field for Mat to be selected."

Cartwright said: "I'd be happy for him to play if he was selected, it would be a great way for him to finish off his rep career."

Injured Queensland lock Dallas Johnson (ankle/knee) will be selected on the basis of an encouraging medical report from Melbourne.

"We've heard the injury is not as bad as first thought and maybe he is a chance of playing so we'll bring him into camp and see how things go."

Morris said Roosters forward Nate Myles would retain his spot despite again coming into camp underdone after being stood down by his club last weekend for disciplinary reasons.

Myles was suspended before Origins I and II for foul play and has played little football this year.

"It's a bit disappointing Nate hasn't got another game under his belt but I think he's done his penance with the Roosters and chances are he will be there again for Origin III," Morris said.

"He did well in the first two games on minimum preparation and there's no reason to believe he won't do the job again."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,,21967498-23214,00.html

Captian_Klutz

Juniors
Seriously if Johnson will be right so will Tate.

QLD to be unchanged. ( I'll put it as a prediction in my sig if I could) :lol:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
You didn't answer the question.

Case in point - you've got no idea how Tate's injury is.

icewind

Juniors
Rogers is playing as well as he ever has, he has great one on one defence, needed for nsw much vaunted right centre in Jamie Lyo....

oh, i see now why he's not needed.

Brutus

Referee
They said Tate was in doubt for Origin with a knee injury on the weekend.

He played on Monday night FFS.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Mr. Fahrenheit said:
what's bell still doing there?

Um... he happened to play well in SOO2..so that would be the main reason. Most people do not realise what Bell gives the qld side. He is a fine player and he has combinations with the rest of the backline. No need to change!

emil1989

Juniors
his fine, he pulled up fine, looked good last night so yeh nuthin rong with him..he'll have another blinder in origin as usual

Latest posts