What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Puletua Released for 2009

mxlegend99

Referee
Apr 23 – Panthers General Manager Michael Leary has announced today the club is releasing Tony Puletua to the UK Super League team, St Helens from 2009 onwards.
Tony has played over 190 games since making his debut for the Panthers in 1997. He has represented his country of origin New Zealand on numerous occasions and was a part of the Panthers successful grand final team in 2003.
Tony asked the club for a release to extend his career by playing in the UK Super League.
“Tony has been a great ambassador for the Panthers,” Michael Leary said. “It will be sad to see him leave and we wish him and his family all the best.
“I know Tony will play out the rest of the season by producing some of his best football for the Panthers”.
http://penrith.panthers.com.au/default.aspx?id=3&ArticleID=744

Hopefully he continues his form in the front row for the remainder of the season.

mightypanther

Juniors
It will be very sad to see him go, but I hope that he can enjoy the remainder of his career in England.

And I'm sure that he will be doing his utmost to leave Penrith with a bang rather than a fizz, for himself and his team mates.

Good luck to him for the rest of the season.

Dave Q

Coach
T was too inconsistent over the long haul.

Should have been released a lot earlier.

But good luck to him.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Will be sad to see him go. My all time favourite Panther.

With Petero and Woolnough here next year. They will be able to help the likes of Grant,McKendry and Tia Tia(been very impressed with him this year) into First Grade.

griffo346

First Grade
IMO i reckon we wont get anyone of top quality knowing our management history we properly going to rely on the 20s squad.

But it would be good to go after Shillo or Ryles as long as either stay injury free

*Sandy*

First Grade
It will be sad to see him go.
I just want him to be happy, he plays best when he's happy within himself.

mxlegend99

Referee
IMO i reckon we wont get anyone of top quality knowing our management history we properly going to rely on the 20s squad.

But it would be good to go after Shillo or Ryles as long as either stay injury free
Shillington... yes.
Ryles... no thanks.

I would love to see us solve our issues next year with our young blokes. Sam McKendry and Tim Grant off the bench to replace Woolnough and Petero would be just fine IMO.

The Rhino

Juniors
Grant, I think will get first shot at the spot, along with Woolnough. McKendry is sure to get a start soon enough.

Will be sad to see him go. My all time favourite Panther.

With Petero and Woolnough here next year. They will be able to help the likes of Grant,McKendry and Tia Tia(been very impressed with him this year) into First Grade.

I agree Tia Tia was playing top quality football in the first few rounds, but has been a little down on form lately and seems to be out of favour with the selectors, and with Blackett, Cahalane and Orton back from injury i heard he may be looking at moving elsewhere?

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Against the Roosters Tia Tia made 19 runs for 177m.

Against the Sharks 11 for 112m.

So i dont know about being down on form lately.

murraymob

Coach
While its sad to see tony leave .The reality is he is at the back end of his career .That money can now be used to sign some of the young players who are coming through

Fibroman

First Grade
T= Probably one of the most naturally gifted forwards ever to play the game.

But alas.........I believe it is time for Tony to move on and free up some dollars to retain the likes of Grant, McKendry and Blackett who are the future of the front row at Penrith.

I hope he finds a Polenesian Church to attend over there?

ashton

Juniors
I read on the brothers web site, that Mitch Cahalane is playing A Grade in the Penrith Junior League.

choc_soldier

Coach
Sad to see him go. Worthy of being named in the Team of Legends, considering of what he's achieved at Penrith.

I wish him all the best at St. Helens.

murraymob

Coach
like all champions there comes a time when there performance is not up to what they are being paid.Tony has reached that point.He will always be remembered as a great of our club.But lets get guys like Josepth Paulo signed up with updated contracts

Fibroman

First Grade
The contribution of Puletua and Galuvao in 2003 was comparable to MG and Carty in 91, in terms of getting us to the finishing post. T's future is in the front row now, and we have young blokes with higher work rates to wear the number 8.