What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tony Zappia on 1269 Talkin Sport today at 4.30pm

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I thought he was pretty good actually. I get what he is saying.

He was asked would he see this crisis through. He said he would look at any opportunity that came his way. He said the Parra opportunity may not arise unless they split the roles of CEO's as he knows nothing of Leagues club managment.

He was asked if the club did not move immediately would they be broke. He said yes.

Is anyone listening to this shyt?!

we're f*cked

Only if we stand on our hands and do nothing.

At least we are trying something to shore up the Club's future until the development comes off.

He mentioned that the development would be a 3 to 5 year project.

It would be a shame if we went under after this had been approved.

The Bears had a saviour in relocating to the Central Coast but failed to reach the finish line. Why? Because they had no Plan B. We are trying to get Plan B locked in so we don't end up like the Bears.

I thought he was pretty good actually. I get what he is saying.

He was asked would he see this crisis through. He said he would look at any opportunity that came his way. He said the Parra opportunity may not arise unless they split the roles of CEO's as he knows nothing of Leagues club managment.

He was asked if the club did not move immediately would they be broke. He said yes.

It wasn't an outright yes Reefy.

spider

Coach
they wouldnt go broke because they are broke

and compound that with their multi million dollar loss last year

they are f**ked royally

PHaTMaN

Juniors
Did anyone listen to his interview on big sports breakfast about 7 oclock this morning?

Sounds like he said similar things, we need money to get us through till the development (which he said he was hopeful would be approved within a few months). They need the income in the meantime.

He also talked about our poor scheduling and how we have struggled with crowd numbers due to the 5:30 games.

He said he was mindful of alienating both the shire and central coast by having his finger in both pies but believes the passionate supporters will realise this as a neccessity and still support the team, better to have half a team than none.

Also talked about the poker takes and smoking bans having a negative influence on the leagues clubs taking and bagged out former administration for only trying to grow the sharks brand within the shire. Thinks it isnt a large enough population to survie soley with fans living there.

spider

Coach
Also talked about the poker takes and smoking bans having a negative influence on the leagues clubs taking
as per the annual report the leagues club net profit was only down $120k on the previous year

he needs to focus on his club, not the one that feeds him - look where they are atm

and bagged out former administration
i would stop there

Thinks it isnt a large enough population to survie soley with fans living there.
if the shire population is 250,000 for arguments sake, i dont think 5 to 8% is asking all that much

but its HOW they go about attracting the crowd - its one thing to roll up, its another to market and attract people

how many of us remember sitting on the grassy hill in our teen years and our now tragics on here

i suggest we brainwash all primary schools and when they enter tertiary level, aside from maths 101 on line - they spend a half hour a day studying LU 101

Weaponhead

Coach
but its HOW they go about attracting the crowd - its one thing to roll up, its another to market and attract people

This is the key issue. The club has been absolutely incompetent at building the Sharks brand in the past 15 years. When a business starts blaming its customers for its lack of commercial success you know that they have lost the plot.

It is not good enough to blame Shire apathy for the state of the clubs finances. As an entertainment organsiation the Sharks need to learn to compete. They can't guilt trip people into turning up to games. Where is the strategy for targeting the next generation of fans? Where are the new ideas? New revenue streams? It has been said on here that the football club revenue is driven purely by 12 home games per year. The rest of the time the stadium sits idle. That is disgraceful business. The Sharks own the ground but do nothing with it.

The suggestion that the Shire population is not big enough to sustain the team are rubbish. Look at the Green Bay Packers in the US. It is a tiny population compared to the rest of the teams but they have a model that engages with fans and makes the organisation viable. Where is that thinking at Cronulla. In the Gow days we had TV ads that promoted the brand as something to aspire to. These days there is a quarter page in the Leader.........

redback

Bench
When will everyone realise that there will be no development. They keep raising it to keep the fluffies happy.

samshark

Juniors
Thats bullsh*t that there isnt a large enough population to survive here.
Whats the population for the Roosters, Bulldogs, Eels, Sea Eagles etc?
Fans have walked away because the last 8 years have been a debacle.
Anderson, Raper, treatment of Peachy, poor recruitment, poor results. And again here we are in 2009 set for another poor year with necessary rebuilding. Thats always been the problem with our club. We are always rebuilding before the house is finished.

If the club gets things rights the fans will be there but I think a lot of people have just had enough.

Last edited:

spider

Coach
the debacle got worse once chairman junior became CEO

no other candidate was considered at all

longmuir didnt even get a coffee to discuss the role, it was passed onto junior

and the results speak for themself under his tenure as well

its been an ongoing circus

it would not surprise me in the slightest if parra (pending on the fitzy outcome) develop the CEO roles into dual positions respective of football and leagues, then zappia leaves

lol - imagine the mess he had to clean up when he walked in after the golden child

The Popper

Bench
I appreciate what he said and what he's done. But I've still got my doubts about the development. The thing's a decade old and still dirt hasn't been turned. Is it a white elephant? Perhaps the AGM will reveal more?

samshark

Juniors
Yes and I think Greg Pierce knew what was ahead so he jumped ship.
The Pierce name has a lot to answer for. They may love the sharks but they havent got the skills to be in the positions they hold/held.

If we want to keep Zappia lets tell him. Start writing him.

samshark

Juniors
I appreciate what he said and what he's done. But I've still got my doubts about the development. The thing's a decade old and still dirt hasn't been turned. Is it a white elephant? Perhaps the AGM will reveal more?

Mate, we've all got doubts. Its got me buggered how they are going to raise $110 million. Can you really see it happening?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Thats bullsh*t that there isnt a large enough population to survive here.
Whats the population for the Roosters, Bulldogs, Eels, Sea Eagles etc?
Fans have walked away because the last 8 years have been a debacle.
Anderson, Raper, treatment of Peachy, poor recruitment, poor results. And again here we are in 2009 set for another poor year with necessary rebuilding. Thats always been the problem with our club. We are always rebuilding before the house is finished.

If the club gets things rights the fans will be there but I think a lot of people have just had enough.

Dead right. The central coast has a smaller population than the shire.
Wont be f**king embarrassing if they get anywhere near our current crowd figures, let alone surpass them.