What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too many fullbacks?

Eels Dude

Coach
Just a thought... Everyone keeps saying we have a "star studded" backline but do we really? Luke Burt's best position is fullback, as is Hayne's, and arguably Inu's also, he debuted for the Kiwis there. Reddy also debuted in first grade there and has previously mentioned it's his preferred position. It seems to me we've got a stack of fullbacks playing out of position. I know the backs are the least of our problems, but our outside backs just seem to be a bunch of outside backs instead of being tailor made for a specific position. Thoughts?

bartman

Immortal
Luke Burt's the only one that can confidently organise and talk at the defensive line and the wingers positioning for kicks at a first grade level.

But yes, we have some well paid "star" backs who can't really handle the range of positions that other well paid star backs seem to handle with ease. "Real stars" stand out no matter what position they are picked in, and their efforts speak for themselves regardless of how well or badly the team combinations are gelling. We have some overpaid guys looking for any excuse in our backs, we shouldn't pay overs for them next contract renewal.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I good outside back should be able to fit into 1 to 5 in a pinch...

the blokes that we've got there now are so overated it's not funny...

Parra Guru

Coach
Luke Burt is doing the best with what he's been given. He isn't big in stature and doesn't have much flair, but he is a hard working no nonsense footballer with a decent enough kicking game.

The only time you hear Hayne harp on about playing fullback is when he isn't playing well somewhere else.

Inu and Reddy could also play there but are obviously trying to improve their games in the positions they're in. Something Hayne should do from time to time.

Although, when's the next rep selection? Hayne will probably fire up for his mandatory 2 games beforehand.

lingard

Coach
Our 'star-studded backline' was created by the media. They are all reasonable first-graders, but not one of them is a 'star'. If we had one or two genuine stars in the side, then players like Hayne and Inu might 'ignite'. But neither of them is a genuine 'star' by himself. Remember: Parramatta doesn`t buy star players anymore; they just promote juniors, so we end up with a very good reserve-grade side every year.

Last edited:

johnkolc

Juniors
another thread pointing fingers at the backs when all eyes should be looking at the forwards :roll:

Good point, especially think there's something wrong when we need to weaken our right centre spot to move Ben Smith into the backrow.

However, I still think this thread is spot on. Okay there were a couple of soft tries up the middle. But from watching the game live I was struck by how poorly both our centres communicated with their outside men and executed themselves in defence. No accountability for their patch of turf.

Now maybe that is because they are inexperienced, but to my mind that shouldn't mean we have to try a new half and essentially two new wingers-turned-centres just because we have a less than strong pack.

Burt to fullback, Hayne to right wing, Reddy and Ben in the centres. If Inu makes the cut by selection time this afternoon chuck him on the left wing. Otherwise promote Etu or some other junior that will bust a gut rather than be listless, uninvolved and cranky all game.

Latest posts