What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 4?

Vicious

Bench
What`s everyone`s opinion. Can the Wests Tigers make the top 4 in `2010 ???

I`m very confident they can and will, have noticed plenty of supporters don`t appear real confident, what`s your honest opinions ???

I haven`t always agreed with Tim Sheens` decisions and selections, but I think he now has a real strong squad with plenty of depth.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
Glass half empty - this squad is barely an upgrade on the last couple of years. Cayless coming back from England and injury will prove to be a marginal improvement on Skando. Tuqiri will bolster the backs, but we've already lost Tuiaki, seemingly for the season. Same issues as previous years remain (no genuine halfback, no depth in front row, players out of position). A fringe playoff team at best.

Glass half full - Cayless recaptures 2002 - 2004 form, we remain injury free in the forwards and Marshall, Lawrence and Farah both take big steps in their games, as well as some of the younger players developing into legitimate first grade footballers (Lui, Ayshford et al). A bounce of the ball or two favours us and we make the top 4.

For mine, we've had the talent, by and large, for the past couple of years to make the top 4. Nobody can tell me that our sides in that time were any worse - talent-wise - than the likes of Canterbury or Dragons. They've simply been better prepared, better disciplined and more stable (through injuries). We're capable of making the top 4 again, but short of a huge turn-around in attitude I can't see it happening. We are what we are - a critically flawed, entertaining at times team that will flounder in the big games as a result of our well known weaknesses.

We have been like a racehorse held under double wraps for too long.

We need to be given free rein so we can show thr league world what we can do.

We showed in those six games last year when playeres were playing in their correct positions and we were playing a positvie style of footy just what an unstoppable machine we can be.

Perhaps Tupou can cure our Tuiaki issue.

Personally I think Daniela will have a good year for us......

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I would suggest top 4 should be the only pass mark that Teflon can be 'passed' on. What with all the hype and marketing WT has put on in terms of their recruitment and off season preparation anything less is not good enough.

Position 8 thru 5 finish great!!! (but is that really good enough seeing all the hype etc referred to above before the seaosn starts?)

Recruitment for 2010?- has been patchy- mostly a lot of fringe first graders looking for opportunities. They can either be a success and step up that extra level or remain just that- fringe players.

Recruitment of name / known players?- Tuqiri- great marketing but his actual playing worth is unknown. Cayless & Tupou- resurrecting career after injury in ESL forced early retirement. Fitzhenry & Fulton- both can be useful, hardly set the world on fire when went to ESL but solid enough. Taumata- can be anything but under a load of supicion for bad discipline he will have to carry a while before he can hopefully shed himself of that monkey on his back.

2010 team problems? WT still have to show they can win tight games, have a functioning halfback, have a real goal kicker and the interchange bench is used wisely.

2010 Coaching staff? Same old suspicions remain- Teflon picking players out of position, not acting early in removing underperforming players, plays favourites and hurts morale of thse trying to get ahead. Folkes though has been a good addition in adding condition to the team.

After all of that then the football gods, injuries and suspensions etc have their input into the teams chances. Luck has already given us a kick with Tuiaki probably being out for the season before the whistle even has blown.

Last edited:

Bricey

Juniors
2010 team problems? WT still have to show they can win tight games, have a functioning halfback, have a real goal kicker and the interchange bench is used wisely.

+1 on this point. We had 4 games last year where we lost by 4 points or less and goal kicking let us down. The game against Parra, they kicked 5/5 where we kicked 1/4. Goalkicking is a MUST improve area.

Do we have a kicking coach for benji and whoever else can step up should he be unavailable? Or is it just going to be the old "Hit and hope" that we have had to endure the last 4 years?

Remembering we missed the finals by 1 point last year, if we had have turned those close losses into close wins, with our for/against last year we would have made the top 4 by pipping the titans.

from the thread "time to step up"
Last season the tigers kicked at round 65% with a ratio of 63/96.

Marshall only kicked at 100% in 1 game, being the round 15 loss to melbourne. He kicked 2/2 that day and we lost by 2 points (the game where laurie dropped the ball with the line wide open)

In the close matches of 2009
Rd 8 V Bulldogs - Lost 22-20 Gallant 2/5, El Masri 3/4
Rd 10 V Souths - Lost 23-22 Marshall 3/4, Luke 2/2 Sandow 1/2
Rd 11 v Brisbane - Lost 20-18 Marshall 1/4, Parker 2/4
Rd 24 v Parramatta - Lost 26-18 Marshall 1/4, Innu 5/5

Magpies Forever

Juniors
+1 on this point. We had 4 games last year where we lost by 4 points or less and goal kicking let us down. The game against Parra, they kicked 5/5 where we kicked 1/4. Goalkicking is a MUST improve area.

Do we have a kicking coach for benji and whoever else can step up should he be unavailable? Or is it just going to be the old "Hit and hope" that we have had to endure the last 4 years?

Remembering we missed the finals by 1 point last year, if we had have turned those close losses into close wins, with our for/against last year we would have made the top 4 by pipping the titans.

from the thread "time to step up"

Bricey- I dont think Benji is the answer for 2010- like the halfback move- trialled for a time and not a real success. But then again Teflon thinks the sun shines out of Benji's ****. I just dont think Benji is a natural goal kicker- no amount of coaching can make up for that- either you can or you cant.

Alternates? Maybe Flanagan if he can get in the main squad, apart from him dunno much about anyone else. I'd love to see if anyone else has been given the opportunity at training and compare thei results vs Benji's.

Bricey

Juniors
Please dont get me wrong, Im not advocating benji to be the answer to our goal kicking prayers. But as you say, I can't really see any other options at the moment.

65% for a season is simply not good enough. My concern is that again this year it will be something that will be overlooked by the coaching staff and we will be left floundering AGAIN, fighting for a top 8 spot. If we are talking about a top 4 spot, this is the area most in need of work.

If we had have won the 5 games above.....even 3 from 5, we would have made the finals easily. We only missed out by 1 measly point!

Is there someone to analise the kicking routine of whoever gets the job for 2010? where is there supporting foot pointing? Are they kicking with the instep or the laces? are they striking the outside portion of the ball causing it to hook back in, or the centre of the ball meaning it travels dead straight?

I think it can be coached, should be coached and MUST be coached for us to have any decent tilt at a 2nd premiership. Hell, i'll do it for free if it means the tigers go from a 65% kicking side to 75%-80%

i'll get down off my soapbox now.....

simmo1

First Grade
I don't think we will make the top four. It wouldn't be a huge shock to me if we did get in there - because we are definitely capable of knocking over any team in this competition - but consistency has always been a big issue for us. I reckon we'll end up somewhere around 5th-8th.

Borat.

Juniors
Please dont get me wrong, Im not advocating benji to be the answer to our goal kicking prayers. But as you say, I can't really see any other options at the moment.

65% for a season is simply not good enough. My concern is that again this year it will be something that will be overlooked by the coaching staff and we will be left floundering AGAIN, fighting for a top 8 spot. If we are talking about a top 4 spot, this is the area most in need of work.

If we had have won the 5 games above.....even 3 from 5, we would have made the finals easily. We only missed out by 1 measly point!

Is there someone to analise the kicking routine of whoever gets the job for 2010? where is there supporting foot pointing? Are they kicking with the instep or the laces? are they striking the outside portion of the ball causing it to hook back in, or the centre of the ball meaning it travels dead straight?

I think it can be coached, should be coached and MUST be coached for us to have any decent tilt at a 2nd premiership. Hell, i'll do it for free if it means the tigers go from a 65% kicking side to 75%-80%

i'll get down off my soapbox now.....

Was compareable to luke covells goal kicking so it only needs a slight improvement...

In 2010 , One word ladies.

DEPTH.

Yeah we finally have some.....we are a decent shot at top 4...hardly a good thing though

Martinplace

Juniors
I have always thought we have had sides (certainly the last few years) that were capable of making the 8, we should except nothing else than top 6 with a good chance to top 3, but the X factor as always, is what the coach does when we need him to be smart?

At this time of the season, we should be planning our victory parties.

DanOz

Juniors
I would be happy to make the 8, but Sheens will f**k our chances for the 5th year in a row I fear.

TimmyB

Juniors
If we do make the top 4 and are eliminated in say, a preliminary final, has Sheens' earned a contract extension?

typicalfan

Coach
I say yes as long as you get the most out of Tuqiri and Cayless. If Cayless gets back to his form he had at the Roosters along side Galloway you will have a very strong front row.

Cayless is the key, on form he is as good as any prop going around.

DanOz

Juniors
If we do make the top 4 and are eliminated in say, a preliminary final, has Sheens' earned a contract extension?

For me it comes down to who he is selecting and in what positions. We have the talent to make the finals despite Sheens, but I doubt we will win another comp unless he gets it right.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I say yes as long as you get the most out of Tuqiri and Cayless. If Cayless gets back to his form he had at the Roosters along side Galloway you will have a very strong front row.

Cayless is the key, on form he is as good as any prop going around.

i agree 100% re cayless. if he gets back to anywhere near his roosters form then we'll be VERY hard to beat.

its no secret our front row stocks have been lacking over the last few years. when galloway was injured we had gibbs and payten starting with payne and galea playing front row from the bench. opposition packs must have been licking their lips lining up against that.

a starting front row of cayless/farah/galloway all fit and firing is close to the best in the league, a department we've never been close to the leaders in.

Latest posts