What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top 6 Finals Series

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Same number of games is the real issue not achievable.

Really I would be happy less games have 3v6 4v5 1&2 get a week off.

Otherwise 1v8 2v7 3v6 4v5 every game an elimination. Never been a fan of the second chance but can see the idea under the current system is that the eventual gf winner has likely played every other team in the top 4 during the finals
If you read the full content of my post, the simple fact remains that the NRL and its broadcasters will not do anything which REDUCES finals content. It's lucrative and rates it's pants off, attracts higher than average crowds compared to the regular season and is a gold mine for advertisers.

Taking the number of games from 9 to 7 would reduce that opportunity and it simply won't happen.

In principle I agree with you, but the whole argument is moot because the NRL will simply not entertain the idea.

Springs09

Juniors
Same number of games is the real issue not achievable.

Really I would be happy less games have 3v6 4v5 1&2 get a week off.

Otherwise 1v8 2v7 3v6 4v5 every game an elimination. Never been a fan of the second chance but can see the idea under the current system is that the eventual gf winner has likely played every other team in the top 4 during the finals

Makes positions pointless. Might as well do 1v16, 2v15 etc. There's a reason 1&2 get the most benefits.

Someguy

First Grade
If you read the full content of my post, the simple fact remains that the NRL and its broadcasters will not do anything which REDUCES finals content. It's lucrative and rates it's pants off, attracts higher than average crowds compared to the regular season and is a gold mine for advertisers.

Taking the number of games from 9 to 7 would reduce that opportunity and it simply won't happen.

In principle I agree with you, but the whole argument is moot because the NRL will simply not entertain the idea.

I should have expanded on my first paragraph less games is not achievable as the the nrl would not take a hit financially.

Here's an oddball Top 4.

Top 4.

Week 1
1 vs 2 - winner week off
3 vs 4 - winner plays loser of 1 vs 2

Week 2
1 week off
2 vs 3

Week 3, 4 and 5 (week 5 only if required).
Best of 3 Grand Final series.

Get cities to bid on hosting GF week 1 and 2 (and if 3 is needed have a back up 3rd venue).

And get to 20 teams. Play 20 rounds - 19 Home and Away against all teams (reversed the following season) with a 20th "Rivalry Round".

And there's a cash prize pool from 1-10 that is allocated by NRL to clubs to pay to equal shares to all players in the team.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Here's an oddball Top 4.

Top 4.

Week 1
1 vs 2 - winner week off
3 vs 4 - winner plays loser of 1 vs 2

Week 2
1 week off
2 vs 3

Week 3, 4 and 5 (week 5 only if required).
Best of 3 Grand Final series.

Get cities to bid on hosting GF week 1 and 2 (and if 3 is needed have a back up 3rd venue).

And get to 20 teams. Play 20 rounds - 19 Home and Away against all teams (reversed the following season) with a 20th "Rivalry Round".

And there's a cash prize pool from 1-10 that is allocated by NRL to clubs to pay to equal shares to all players in the team.
upload_2019-9-17_8-56-59.png

upload_2019-9-17_8-57-39.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-17_8-57-10.png
    upload_2019-9-17_8-57-10.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 2

T-Boon

Coach

Have a top 6 but have 2 wild card games (3v6 & 4v5) the winner of those goes into the top 4 semi finals.
From there have a 2x3 game semi final series the winner of each series goes into the 3 game grand final series.
Same amount of finals (I think). I would argue that that's more better rating/attended finals.

T-Boon

Coach
In a 3 game grand final series they could sell game 1 to the highest bidding city and play games 2 and 3(if needed) at ANZ. That would be some good money coming in.

SBD82

Coach
Try explaining this opinion/conclusion you have reached.
Good luck.
It has many games which generates income. It generates interest in the end of the season for middling clubs fighting for the 8. There is the capacity for a fairy tale, but they have to really earn it. The top 4 are all rewarded for their efforts throughout the season. The two clubs from the bottom 8 who win in the first week can gather momentum against the top 4 losers.

T-Boon

Coach
It has many games which generates income. It generates interest in the end of the season for middling clubs fighting for the 8. There is the capacity for a fairy tale, but they have to really earn it. The top 4 are all rewarded for their efforts throughout the season. The two clubs from the bottom 8 who win in the first week can gather momentum against the top 4 losers.

Having a 3 game grand final series and a 3 game semi final series achieves all these things except a lot better. It is not even close.
Less regular season games.
Top 4 with 2 wild card games between 3&6 and 4&5.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
It generates interest in the end of the season for middling clubs fighting for the 8.

I think this point is more to do with the regular season being too long. The last 4 weeks everybody is just thinking about the finals and cricket season. What you win in teams 6-10 being still in the hunt you lose in teams 1-5 just wanting it to be finals already.

Latest posts