What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top ten speedsters in the NRL.

L

legend

1. Darren Albert
2. Brett Howland
3. Robert Miles
4. Scott Donald
5. Shannon Hegarty
6. Chris Walker
7. Lote Tuqiri
8. Stuart Kelly(as you saw yesterday)
9. Brad Watts
10.Luke Burt

legend,
What is the distance you have based these ratings on?
50metres..75mtres...?
Miles would be pretty close to being the quickest at present. Alberthas started to become abit of a has-been in the last season or two.
Tuquri has much more pace over the lenght of the field than many might believe.
Walker is the quickest off the markup to30metres than just about all of them.
Interesting list.

L

legend

Mate, I know Miles is quick but I havent seen enough of him to put him any higher. As fart as distance goes, I am thinking over the longer distances i.e 80-100 metres. Mclinden from Canberra is actually lightning quick over 30 metres buts falls away after that. I always knew Kelly was quick and yesterday no Saints player got within a bulls roar of him.

Albert is still pretty quick though.

K

KFC

Miles is quick but Minichello is quicker. Craig Wing is no slouch either.

L

legend

Hey KFC, long time no argue. I put Wing in the same class as McLinden. They are both very quick off the mark but they are far from the top ten in the league over longer distances. I know Minichello is quick but I really havent seen a lot of him this year.

Ickis

Juniors
McLinden from the Raiders is extremely quick over 50m, his acceleration is blinding.

The rookie Michael Robertson looks to be good stuff speedwise.

I think Darren Albert is probably the quickest of the lot, at one stage he commented he would like to come to Canberra to give him a chance to train at the AIS. Of course, the Raiders didn't sign him. Surprise? not really.

Albert is only 25 and sprinters usually reach their peak in their late 20s. His best time for 100 metres is 11.1 sec, which is within a second of the Australian record (10.13) held by Matt Shirvington. He has a better time than most entrants in the Stawell gift.
If Albert were to give away League and concentrate on sprinting he could easily become one of the top sprinters in Australia in the five years or so he would have left in him as a sprinter.

Albert is easily the fastest man in League. The best race I have seen him in this year was it took him 70 metres to make up about 10 metres on Mark Gasnier in Country/city origin game. Apart from that he has easily run down every opponent this year. In the Brisbane game he picked up Walker easily on two or three occassions.

Roopy,
Do you know if he has signed with a team yet?I am surprised your mob doesn't want him,but I would dig to see him in the red vee.Would suit the style of game very well.Thanks.

Albert has signed with St Helens.

We let him go because we have lots of young talent in the backs and all our money tied up in the best set of backs in the game, but very few forwards coming through and a need to buy a few.
No one wants to see players like Albert go, but we have up to five young guys with a brighter future in the lower grades and we need the 200,000 odd that he wants to play to buy a prop with.
We have let Albert, Matt Petersen and Paul Franze go. They will all be first grade wingers next year for different clubs.

P

pepe

roopy

i think you are being a bit kind to albert saying he could be one of the top sprinters in australia,one second over 100 metres is a big distance ,11.1 would probably rank him around 200 in australia in athletic rankings,schoolboys are running 10.5 at national level.

there is no doubt he is quick but you have to remember that he is being chased by other footballers on the footy field.

i think wendell and albert would be the two quickest over 100metres and as roughy to fill the minor placing i'll throw inowen craigie!!!!

cheers pepe

K

KFC

G'day Legend. I'm happy to be here. I take your point about Wing but trust me Mini has got plenty of toe, quicker than Hegarty and just behind Cross (Pre broken leg.) I look forward to once again debating the finer points of our great game.

B

Bomber

Adam Connelly would have to figure somewhere. He does the 100 metres in something like 10.5 seconds........bloody quick!

Ramit54

Juniors
I agree with Bomber Adam Connelly is one of the fastest in the NRL along with Scott Donald, over 100 metres there is nothing between them.
Cheers Retread

Um you may be suprised but Jamie Ainscough is lightning quick and so is Matt Cooper and Cooper definately and Ainscough possibly would have to be up there!

L

legend

Ainscough used to be very quick but I think his pace has fallen away quite badly. He is still fast but if you saw Kelly score that try on Sunday, he was actually pulling away from Barrett and Ainsy. BTW, who is the fastest in the club?

legend
Ainscough was the fastest over 60 m earlier in the year in pre season training
But Cooper was recovering from shoulder surgery at time and i would say Cooper is fastest in club!