What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Touch Rugby League

deal.with.it

Juniors
I made a post in a previous thread about touch rugby league being the way forward, rather than oztag or league tag, so we can increase player numbers like the AFL has done through AusKick.
Well on the new South Africa Website (which has been set up through the RFL) there was on advert at the top for this exact idea.

http://www.playtouchrugbyleague.com/

Check it out. Not sure if it is run through the RFL, but it is a great idea and would definitely increase player numbers for all rugby league nations, which would lead to more sponsorship $, more gov't $, and more chance of attracting media and broadcasting.

My original post stated the benefit of touch rugby league, because no kids bring tags to school, or they dont play with tags on when they go down to the local park after school. It is always touch footy, played under rugby league rules (i.e. ball can hit the ground, can kick the ball etc).

ByRd

First Grade
I played in a Touch Rugby League comp for about 2-3 seasons in Enfield, Sydney. It's stopped running now but it was a great game to play and was pretty popular, it was just the people running it had no clue which turned people away. It is much better than touch football that's for sure!!

clarency

Juniors
Nice little website they have there.

ARL should consider promoting this exact same thing heavily Australia wide.

Personally I would approach all oztag owners and offer them a management role of touch RL in the area and effectively replace oztag with touchRL.

Benefits are huge.

Um, what is the difference between touch and touch rugby league? According to that site, nothing. Oztag and LeagueTag are different, but this touch rugby league just looks like touch branded as rugby league by the RFL.

clarency

Juniors
If I remember correctly in touch, you can not drop the ball, period. There is no kicking, and on the last (to replace the kick) you are allowed one forward pass.

I heard Union tried to align themselves closely with touch football in the past. I think establishing a "Touch RL" will indirectly overwhelm the touch purists and become the official "touch" game.

deal.with.it

Juniors
Um, what is the difference between touch and touch rugby league? According to that site, nothing. Oztag and LeagueTag are different, but this touch rugby league just looks like touch branded as rugby league by the RFL.

Like I said in the OP. Touch footy you can't drop the ball, can't kick the ball, you don't play the ball with your foot, and it must be played on specific touch dimensions.

***MH***

Bench

http://www.playtouchrugbyleague.com/_downloads/rules.pdf

Handover if the ball hits the ground & no kicking. Seems like normal touch football rules to me.

Are RFL the governing body for Touch Football in the UK or are they running their own?

TommyGun

Juniors
The video on that site shows people playing touch footy. It seems like its the same thing, they are just calling it touch rugby league

Like I said in the OP. Touch footy you can't drop the ball, can't kick the ball, you don't play the ball with your foot, and it must be played on specific touch dimensions.
I know what touch is. What's the difference between it and touch rugby league? That site seems to suggest that touch rugby league is a separate game to touch, but the rules seem to be identical.

ByRd

First Grade
I played touch rugby league for a few years and it was basically rugby league but just touch, very different to touch footy. We could kick on any play, had to play the ball with our foot, there were line drop outs, you could drop the ball backwards etc. it was a good game to play and its a shame that the comp in my area no longer runs it as it was pretty popular, however now myself and many others have moved on to OzTag.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I know what touch is. What's the difference between it and touch rugby league? That site seems to suggest that touch rugby league is a separate game to touch, but the rules seem to be identical.

Sorry mate misunderstood what you were asking.
Yes it is strange that the rules on the website are pretty much identical to touch.
There is definitely an opportunity though, that all RL bodies should jump on.
Like the LP said, it's a fun game.

Latest posts