What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Townsend waiting for coach call before deciding contract option

Don Tweddle

Juniors
From NRL.com

How in demand does Chad think he is??

Townsend waiting for coach call before deciding contract option
Author
Troy WhittakerNRL.com Reporter
Cronulla's unclear coaching situation is partially why long-time halfback Chad Townsend is waiting to decide if he will trigger a contract option to stay at the club.

The premiership-winning playmaker emphasised to NRL.com that his immediate focus is performing well.

But within a few months, the 30-year-old will have to make a call on whether he extends a successful second stint with his junior club.

Townsend, who made his Telstra Premiership debut for Cronulla in 2011 but played for the Warriors from 2014-15, has favourable clauses in his deal that allow him to remain at the Sutherland Shire team for the next two years.

The Sharks are yet to announce if they will stick with coach John Morris in 2022.

"I've got until round 13 to see what's going on," Townsend said.

"A few things are ticking through my mind at the moment about how we're going [as a team], where I want to be, and obviously with the coaching decision moving forward, but that'll come.

"For me, at the moment I'm just worried about playing good football. That happens and everything else takes care of itself."

The Sharks have won one from three matches heading into Saturday's clash with the Cowboys, which has been moved to Kogarah from the Sunshine Coast due to Queensland's COVID-19 outbreak, but Townsend was optimistic after a gutsy display against the Eels.

Having played 45 minutes with no one on the bench after losing Sione Katoa (knee) and Wade Graham, Will Kennedy and Briton Nikora (head knocks) in the first half, Cronulla took heart from the game despite the 28-4 scoreline.

"The team spirit and the camaraderie we got from that was excellent," said Townsend, one of nine Sharks to play 80 minutes last week.

"We watched the video the other day and our coaches gave us a rap. We really showed what we're made of early in the season.

"The stuff we've been working on in the summer was evident on the field, especially some of those defensive efforts on the try line where we were outstanding ... That's why I'm so upbeat even though we lost.

"There was stuff in the weekend's game that you literally can't buy. It's desire and attitude, and I thought we had that in spades."

Front-rower Aiden Tolman said the forwards hadn't done anything differently at training despite their increased workloads.

"[The game was] a really big lesson for us and a really big confidence boost that our systems and our processes really work," Tolman said.

"Coming up against a side that hasn't lost yet in Parra who throw plenty at you, really it was 10-4 for the majority of the game ... Our defensive systems held up. That's got to be our benchmark."

Meanwhile, Townsend is relishing the prospect of facing off against his "great mate" Valentine Holmes for the first time after missing both games against North Queensland last season.

Townsend joked that Holmes may get some "extra attention" from his ex-teammates.

"At his best, he's probably one of the best in the competition, so we're going to have our hands full containing him," he said.

Ads

First Grade
Wondered if he would pop his head up in the press knowing the cowboys are on the hunt for a halfback.

Frenzy.

Immortal
OK. So I did my reactionary replies then went and had a proper read of the article

You guys are just plain flogs. There is nothing egotistical or arrogant in any of those quotes.

You're all just setting up your excuses and feeding your disappointment in advance of a possible loss tomorrow.

Weirdos

OK. So I did my reactionary replies then went and had a proper read of the article

You guys are just plain flogs. There is nothing egotistical or arrogant in any of those quotes.

You're all just setting up your excuses and feeding your disappointment in advance of a possible loss tomorrow.

Weirdos
Hahaha
I love it

Sharkorff

Juniors
Seems to be AWOL from The Chad Gamesend Podcast. Pretty sure here’s been practicing. “Lesssgooo!” - it’s not something that can be just blurted out. Ya have to work on it, hone the skill, enunciate the vowel.

Doesn’t come easy. It’s a skill. A raw talent. Thanks to you pricks that are saying he doesn’t spend enough time practicing.

sandshark

Bench
Let's be honest, he'd be very silly not to take the 2 years extension in his favour.
I think he'd have 1 or 2 clubs interested but probably not in Sydney or the surrounding area.
At age 30 I don't think he'd see more than a 2 year offer elsewhere.
If I was in his shoes I'd stay put. The club loves him and would most likely extend beyond that 2 years down the line.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Let's be honest, he'd be very silly not to take the 2 years extension in his favour.
I think he'd have 1 or 2 clubs interested but probably not in Sydney or the surrounding area.
At age 30 I don't think he'd see more than a 2 year offer elsewhere.
If I was in his shoes I'd stay put. The club loves him and would most likely extend beyond that 2 years down the line.

There are some here that want to know where you live now. HAHAHAHA

sandshark

Bench
There are some here that want to know where you live now. HAHAHAHA
Hahaha but seriously he is in a great position at the moment. The coach loves him, the club loves him and I'm pretty sure the player group and community like him enough to be one of their leaders on and off the field.

If he doesn't take those 2 years well then he is a bit silly.

Latest posts