What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toyota Cup

PJ

First Grade
Went down and watched it, but was mainly interested in a few players so I don't know all the names.

They won the game but they shouldn't have. Penrith had all the ball and most of it in our 1/4 or 1/3rd. Our handling was atrocious.

Stapleton was our best by far. Cleverly called for Orcher to pass him the ball on a kick return and then ran most of the length, was bombed 3 or 4 times and safe as each time then lept over them to score his second try. Also was looking for work in attack and beat the first man most times. I'd be tempted to step him up, future first grader imo.

McGrady was dissapointing to say the least. No penetration, looked to have little idea, bad kicking game (on one last tackle he put up 2 bombs, both of which lost ground) and dropped the ball often.

Orcher was pretty good, set up a good try for wright by showing patience and awareness. Pretty safe at the back.

Mannah is pretty big and took some stopping. 1 or 2 big hits but I worry about his mobility and speed for firsts.

Leha again took stopping but also seemed to run out of puff pretty easily. Handling let him down as well.

The second rowers and particularly the lock were very good and the second string hooker showed a lot more initiative.

PJ

First Grade
Yeah he did. Big lad and did some OK things, couple of stuff ups. Didn't stand out.

For mine Stapleton was a class above all others.

Leha wasn't in the team. He's too old. I think PJ got him mixed up with John Viiga. Viiga dropped the ball all to often.

I agree with PJ's comments on McGrady he had a sh*t kicking game and had no creativity. Waaaaaay off First Grade for those who have been pumping up his tyres.

John Mannah took heaps of stopping and looks the goods for a bench spot in First Grade this year if required. He's a great buy!

Stapleton has really filled out in the off season and would not look out of place in First Grade this year. Very safe under the high ball and even scored a try from a cross field kick. He has really improved his goal kicking. The ball was hit sweet every time. He kicked 4/4 and a ready made back up for Covell in the near future.

Matt Wright
is a big lad and played 5/8. He had a better kicking game than McGrady. I think he's better served as a centre. He doesn't have the work rate of a half or many tricks with the ball. Definately has a presence on the field when he takes the ball up. He will prove to be a good buy for us in the future.

Orcher was ok. He needs to inject himself into the game more and trail ball runners alot more. But apart from those above mentioned the rest of the backline was just average.

Luke Latham the backrower we bought from Parra NYC this year is also a tough handy player. Definately has potential to go onto First Grade in the future. Forwards Blake Williamson, Jake Anlezark and Ahmad Ellaz all look pretty handy at various stages of the game but John Mannah is the jewel in the crown.

We beat the Panthers 20-16 which was a great win as the Panthers are about 4th or 5th favourite to win the Toyota Cup.

Stapleton scored 2 tries and Matt Wright scored 1 and Stapleton kicked 4 from 4.

Inferno

Coach
I was just glad to see them hang onto their lead. Became story of their season last year racing to a nice lead and getting chased down in the last 20.

When Stapleton and Mannah get called up to First Grade this year. They'll slide for sure. Just not enough depth of outstanding talent in the team. Alot of honest toilers. McGrady was a huge disappointment after reading the wraps on him. He really doesn't have many tricks with the ball and a shiiiit kicking game.

onya pj...thanks for the heads up!

i like what i hear about stapleton...i think his time has come

He's the real deal this year Snoop.
Out of the guys we had last season in the NYC he's made the most progress during the off season with his build, goal kicking, attack and defence.

PJ

First Grade
I got Leha wrong, as mentioned I didn't have a program. Number 14 whoever he was.

S.R.

Juniors
The 20s seemed to be a lot better team than last year. They appeared to have a good game plan, and stuck to it fairly well.

Yeah they dropped the ball a bit, but they did look like a good football team.
Much better than last year.

The 20s seemed to be a lot better team than last year. They appeared to have a good game plan, and stuck to it fairly well.

Yeah they dropped the ball a bit, but they did look like a good football team.
Much better than last year.

They were one of the youngest teams last year.
One year on can make a heap of difference.
Also we've recruited better this year for this grade.
But take a couple of guns out of the side like Mannah and Stapleton and I'm sure they'll start sliding.

S.R.

Juniors
They were one of the youngest teams last year.
One year on can make a heap of difference.
Also we've recruited better this year for this grade.
But take a couple of guns out of the side like Mannah and Stapleton and I'm sure they'll start sliding.

Yeah you are probably right.
The did look alright today though.

Mat Wright will be a superstar.

Vossy

Bench
vzj2md.jpg

30vyn8x.jpg

2z7kfu8.jpg

15rjln6.jpg