What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trans-Tasman tug-of-war starts again

RLIF

Juniors
THE 18-year-old dubbed the next Israel Folau has found himself at the centre of a trans-Tasman tug-of-war.

Australia and New Zealand both want Joseph Tomane to declare allegiance to them, just three games into his NRL career with Melbourne.

The teenager, who was born in Wellington but moved to Brisbane as an infant, is eligible for both countries and considered a certain starter for either under-19s team.

It's understood Tomane was set to pledge his allegiance to New Zealand before a chat with his parents a fortnight ago. He is now believed to be favouring Australia.

"He has to do it at some stage this year because I'd imagine he's going to be in contention for a Junior Kiwis or a Junior Kangaroos position," Storm football manager Frank Ponissi said.

"At this stage he hasn't made a decision."

Tomane made his NRL debut against the Gold Coast and scored a blistering 90m runaway try against Parramatta.

Despite being born in New Zealand, Tomane, who played rugby union most of his life, is eligible for Australia as he played his first senior football there.

Australian Rugby League chief executive Geoff Carr said the current eligibility system was under review with discussions between the ARL and NZRL under way.

"Currently, you're not locked in until you play a full international with one country or the other," said Carr, also the NSWRL boss.

"We've been in discussion with the NZRL in particular about tightening that up because last year, when we picked the Junior Kiwis and Junior Kangaroos, there were three both initially that were picked in both teams."

Tomane's manager Jim Banaghan said: "This is going to be an ever-increasing problem with the migration of Polynesian people to Australia.

"This is not a one-off. Karmichael Hunt was put in the same position at 18."

I thought the ARL wanted to strengthen International Rugby League by telling Kiwis to play for NZ...whats going on here?!?! He will never make the Australian side with the centres and wingers they have, he has more chance playing for NZ or Samoan or Tonga:crazy:

Calixte

First Grade
I thought the ARL wanted to strengthen International Rugby League by telling Kiwis to play for NZ...whats going on here?!?! He will never make the Australian side with the centres and wingers they have, he has more chance playing for NZ or Samoan or Tonga:crazy:

Australian RL mouths that.

And then every decision they make flies in the face of it. It is another example of the lack of a level playing field, slanted in Australia's favour, when it comes to the international program for the last 15 years or so.

roughyedspud

Coach
Despite being born in New Zealand, Tomane, who played rugby union most of his life, is eligible for Australia as he played his first senior football there.

that is'nt even part of the RLIF eligibility laws.......:roll:

if he's been in australia for longer than 3 years he's eligible via residency.

seriously....f*ckwit carr is getting in way over his head,he has f**k all to do with the RLIF so he should zip it

deluded pom?

Coach
that is'nt even part of the RLIF eligibility laws.......:roll:

if he's been in australia for longer than 3 years he's eligible via residency.

seriously....f*ckwit carr is getting in way over his head,he has f**k all to do with the RLIF so he should zip it

You beat me to it spud. It doesn't say who made that statement though spud. It reads like it's the journalist making it.

screeny

Bench
Why should Australia be attacked for wanting the best players?

They should be attacked for muddying the eligibility waters.

the kirwan kid

Juniors
He came here as an infant so I'm pretty sure he's a bonafide Aussie. There's heaps of people (particualry from the UK) that came here as babies and are 100% Aussie with no interest in the country of their birth. That said I agree he should be forced to make the call right now as he's eligible for both ...

roughyedspud

Coach
i don't have a problem with australia wanting him, the lad as a choice of 2 nations...lucky boy...

as long as he sticks with who ever he picks then i have'nt got a problem with this situation whatsoever..

Latest posts