What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transformers - Fall of Cybertron

boxhead

First Grade
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=/&gl=AU#/watch?v=tnazs2t5Brg

Great trailer, I am looking well forward to this game, especially considering how good the first one was.
Did anyone here play War for Cybertron? It was definitely the best Transformers game I have ever played by far.
Only trailer I'd rate higher than this one at yesterday's VGAs would be The Last of Us'.
Its even better than the equivalent cinematic trailer for War for Cybertron.
Grimlock looks bloody awesome! DINOBOTS!
Can't wait to see the in-game trailers, sucks that we have to wait until Spring for this game though.
Me Grimlock, king!

boxhead

First Grade
Sorry about the link, it works for me on my iPhone but it might not work for PCs.
If you can't view it, go on gametrailers.com and search "Fall of Cybertron", click on the game and it will be the trailer with a December 10th date.

cr2k2, War for Cybertron was a great game, with an endearing single player game - especially for G1 fanatics - and a fantastic multiplayer system.
Only problem with the game was that it didn't sustain a good online population due to an over-saturation of shooters in 2010 and comparatively poor server structure.
It's the only recent game I regularly played online, it was highly addictive and fun, much like a third-person CoD.
Don't worry, this new one has a solid base to build on :)
And Shockwave will actually feature in the single-player this time around, and Grimlock will be playable!

Kiwimation

Juniors
You can see now why michael bay went for his look of the robots in the movies. Altho that was a good trailer. The robots looked to child like if you know what i mean.

boxhead

First Grade
You can see now why michael bay went for his look of the robots in the movies. Altho that was a good trailer. The robots looked to child like if you know what i mean.

The funny thing I found was that the coolest looking transformer in the movies, Shockwave, was basically a Bay-ified (gritty, drab colors, bestial) G1 model.
Aside from that, I prefer the Prime/War for Cybertron versions, although that comes down to personal preference.
The Bay Transformers were mostly pretty cool in their own way, obviously a highly different visual style.
I didn't like Ratchet, Starscream, Bumblebee, Jetfire, Brawl and Soundwave (TF3 version), but the others were well designed I thought.
Just don't mention "wrecking ball" Devastator.

boxhead

First Grade
Here's a link to an interview with Matt Tieger, the director of both 'Cybertron' games.

http://www.metro.co.uk/tech/games/8...ybertron-exclusive-interview-planetary-reboot

Great interview, some key points for people who don't want to read it all;

Grimlock is playable, has a sword and shield in robot mode, is playable in Dinobot mode, and unlike War for Cybertron (abbreviated to WfC) he can't transform whenever you want, he has a rage system much like in God of War. The other big nasty shown in the trailer, Bruticus, the combiner formed by the Combaticons, is playable in a level, as are some Combaticons themselves. The Bruticus level virtually gives you godlike warfare abilities.

Shockwave is a major character in the game, and is responsible for the creation of the Insecticons and Dinobots. Matt talked about Megatron's lieutenants and their loyalty; Starscream is loyal to himself, Soundwave is loyal to Megatron, and Shockwave is loyal to Cybertron and only sides with the Deceptivons because it is "logical", it is implied he may betray the Decepticons.

Unlike WfC, levels will be much larger to properly allow gamers to choose whether they want to transform or not, even in flyer levels. The special abilities of each Transforner are going to be more pronounced; Jazx has a grapple hook, Grimlock doesn't use guns, etc.

Sounds amazing. They are also making a single campaign, not two separate ones.

Last edited:

boxhead

First Grade
That intervew also points out that Grimlock won't be "stupid" as he is in some adaptions, but rather the much better form that can't articulate his thoughts properly due to the experimentation by Shockwave; he is intelligent and cunning.

That'd be pretty awesome if Metroplex is playable.
I hope the bosses are every bit as awesome as they were in War for Cybertron; they were all grounded fairly in the ethos and abilities of each character and filled with fan service.
The Soundwave boss battle in WfC is one of the best bosses from 2010 I reckon, Trypticon and Omega Supreme were awesome and difficult final bosses. Shame that neither Megatron nor Optimus appeared as a boss, but I guess that ties into the linear plot of the game.

I can only hope we get a fitting boss battle against Shockwave.....that will be epic.

boxhead

First Grade
He's not playable, but you get to control him - to an extent.
Each character gets a unique ability, and Optimus Prime's is using Metroplex to call in artillery strikes on targets you designate.
It has a 10-20 second cooldown, but aside from that, you can use it against anything you want.
On the Metroplex levels.....I've never seen a game do crap like that in the early stages. From a Transformers fans' point of view, this is one of the best single-player campaigns I have ever played. It's thrilling, humorous, gratifying and chock full of nostalgic goodies.

Hell, you don't even get to play as Grimlock until right near the end of the game, but you don't really care because the rest of the game is awesome as hell.
Oh, and the final boss battle is fantastic. I won't give any spoilers, but it is what people were hoping War for Cybertron would have.
This game is just incredible, the music is fantastic, the pacing is good, the characters are interesting and well-acted, and - of course - the action is superb. The visuals are very good too, it is a much more vibrant game than War for Cybertron.
If I had to rate this game, I'd give it a 9/10.
As a Transformers fan.....don't get me started!

Oh.......there's a big surprise in the credits for long-serving Transformers fans too :)
You won't want to miss this game guys, I can't recommend it enough!

Frederick

Staff member
Do I need to have played war for cybertron before this or can i just pick this game straight up?

Zoidberg

First Grade
Haven't played any of the previous TF games, but this one sounds like its worth picking up.

And the end credits surprise of having "The touch" played is a bit lame.