What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett and the Bulldogs

Chimp

Bench
My two penneth on the situation (snipped from my comment on the Sharks forum)…

Binning Barrett off is absolutely the best thing for the Dogs future. Binning off dead wood like Naden is also the right thing to do. The problems at the Bulldogs are not of Gus’s making, and what he’s doing are the right things - personally, I just think he’d have been better coming out with that as the reason and owning the decision - his issue is he’s got a relationship with Trent and doesn’t want to ruin their relationship, publicly blame him or ruin his chances of future employment, and that’s what all the smoke and daggers have been about, but that makes him look devious and untruthful.
He said when Barrett took the job, it was the wrong job at the wrong time for him - he was correct then, and he’s correct now.
Trent was supposed to be the saviour, poor Dean Pay was royally shafted by the Dogs, made to coach with a goosed cap, and when Trent arrived, he had a ‘warchest’…. And he spuffed it on nuffies generally. But even then, this years squad, on paper, is better than they’re performing.
Gus has made the right call to get a Barrett out and let a more capable coach do something with the current squad (plus Mahoney and Kikau next year), and more importantly, build something with the amount of spare cap they have coming available in the next couple of years. Gus will also get the focus on development and pathways, which have been a shambles for a club the size of the Dogs.
I genuinely think if he just did what he needs to do and didn’t try protect people or his relationships, the grief wouldn’t come. 3 weeks ago, the media were calling for Barrett’s head, then as soon as it’s done, they’re giving Gus grief for the way he’s got rid of Barrett…. It’s the right call…

SBD82

Coach
It goes to show coaches can't do much if they don't have the side.
That’s the thing though. At club level, Bellamy ensures that he has the side - by recruiting on more than just hype and ability and by moving on blokes who aren’t willing to get on board with his methods.

I’ve never seen another coach who had his ability to turn a plodder into an NRL quality player. His development is second to none.

Which is basically useless in Origin. And the holy grail of club coaching in a comp with a salary cap.

That’s the thing though. At club level, Bellamy ensures that he has the side - by recruiting on more than just hype and ability and by moving on blokes who aren’t willing to get on board with his methods.

I’ve never seen another coach who had his ability to turn a plodder into an NRL quality player. His development is second to none.

Which is basically useless in Origin. And the holy grail of club coaching in a comp with a salary cap.

the thing with Bellamy is, from his cap rotting sides, the only real megastar he recruited from outside the club during those years was Croc. Everyone else he either inherited or brought through the ranks. The rorts were more brought on by retaining anyone and everyone where other clubs would have to shed a few players. Whilst there is no doubting the cheating involved, it was hardly chequebook rugby league, and closer to exceptional player development.

forby

Juniors
Learn the business for a couple of years, if Gus let's him stay that long, and then comes back to Penrith.

Colk

First Grade
Five years is too long. I wonder if all those people who had a go at the Tigers for offering Ciraldo five years will now do the same regarding the Bulldogs

I wonder if Potter will stay around. If he wanted a coaching gig, seeing how the Bulldogs have played since he took over, he would be in with a shout.

Does this mean the Eels will have Bea, Mary and Derek Zoolander all in the coaching box together next season?

dis gon b gud GIF