What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett linked to Canberra for 2009

FYI guys - on 666 ABC Radio this morning there was a report that Canberra have approached Trent Barrett for the 2009 season. Apparently Barrett’s management have rejected the proposal at this stage as Trent is contracted to Wigan until 2010. But the rumor is out there - an we all know how much weight a contract holds these days.

Chachi

Bench
Raiders in failed bid for Barrett - Bulldogs emerge in race for Carney's prized signature
David Jean

The Canberra Raiders confirmed yesterday they attempted to lure former Test five-eighth Trent Barrett to Canberra for the 2009 season as speculation grows their key playmaker Todd Carney will sign with a rival NRL club.

The Canberra Times can reveal the Raiders approached Barrett's manager Wayne Beavis about a possible move from English Super League club Wigan.

Beavis told The Canberra Times he had responded to the Raiders in writing two weeks ago, saying Barrett was contracted to Leeds until 2010 and that the former St George-Illawarra star was not interested in a move to Canberra.

"The Raiders floated an idea but he's under contract," Beavis said.

"I had an approach from them to see what his contractual position was and I told them he was under contract and that was it. I confirmed that in writing to them."

The Bulldogs surfaced yesterday as yet another club keen for Carney's signature.

It is not known whether the approach to Barrett was made as a direct result of the uncertainty over Carney's future.

Barrett's mother lives in Canberra and the Raiders offered him the use of their Bruce facilities while he was visiting her over Christmas.

He played seven State of Origin games for NSW during an NRL career that spanned 11 years before joining Wigan at the end of the 2006 season on a three-year deal.

Raiders chief executive Don Furner confirmed he had expressed interest in the 11-Test veteran, who is still just 30.

"His mum lives in Canberra so I just tossed it up," Furner said.

"It was a long shot.

"He was looking at training somewhere when he came back to visit her at Christmas and I said 'if he needs to train somewhere he can train at our gym'.

"He never took it up."

Meanwhile, it was revealed yesterday that the Bulldogs had tabled an offer to Carney, who is yet to decide on his future beyond 2008.

Carney has been tipped to link with his former Raiders coach Matthew Elliott on a long-term deal with Penrith.

Carney's mentor and former Raiders five-eighth Jason Smith confirmed the 21-year-old had called him seeking advice after both Penrith and the Bulldogs made him offers.

"He was in a quandary," Smith said.

"I just told him it is a career. It is not going to last forever. I just said make sure you do it for the right reasons."

The Raiders want Carney to make a decision on his playing future before the start of the season, but he has indicated he may wait until as late as round five before signing a new contract.

Smith said Carney should not be bagged if he left the Raiders, who have stayed loyal to him during a string of off-field indiscretions.

"You could look at it both ways," he said. "It might be good to leave [Canberra] after he has had a bit of trouble down there and start afresh.

"But also Todd could be the face of Canberra for the next 10 years.

"Whether Todd leaves is totally up to him. I just hope it is for the reason that it is going to make him a better footballer."

Smith said Carney had to make a decision in the best interests of his career.

"Everybody understands now that clubs aren't loyal to players and players aren't loyal to clubs," Smith said. "This is a career and these blokes have got to do the best for themselves while they can. Everyone starts somewhere.

"You don't see many players like Allan Langer or Andrew Johns who play their career at one club."

After Carney received recent praise from former Test halfback Andrew Johns, Smith said he would "love" to see the youngster make his Origin debut in 2008.

"I reckon Todd will be the Australian halfback sooner or later," Smith said, who drew the curtain on his 17-year first-grade career last season.

"He's probably the best young talent I have seen going around in the game for a long time. He's just a bit unfortunate that JT [North Queensland's Johnathan Thurston] is there."

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/ne...ace-for-carneys-prized-signature/1191188.html
It aint gonna happen.

I cant see Carney in anything but a raiders jersey in the NRL, if he does move, england will poach him for a small fortune, but imo he will re-sign with the raiders for sure.

dubby

Bench
Thats just mind games from Don Furner guys, trust me.

Sad thing is, it backfired.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
: Yeah. Lot of hot air there I think, can come back next year without having to gain permission from teh Dragons.

Anything is possible I suppose. Think he'd go to the dogs first though. Who knows, maybe youse will get Finchy back:shock:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
You seem sharp with predictions Gorilla. I'd like to see the second happen for sure.

Hope the Raiders can hold Carney, but it doesn't sound good.

Wouldn't be too worried though. Campese is developing into a consistent game breaker.

Todd is good as gone IMO . after reading the story above and in this weeks league week,

quote matty elliot was fantastic for me when he was at canberra and the chance to play under him at penrith is very tempting. quote

f*ck him off now if he doesnt sign for us.

Bay56

First Grade
dubby said:
Thats just mind games from Don Furner guys, trust me.

Sad thing is, it backfired.

you dont say dubby !!

how about this for "mind games" ... Todd we'll offer you $400K a season, how about it.

Timbo

Staff member
Anyone who thinks its just mind games is kidding themselves.

We wouldn't even be approaching Barret if we didn't think we needed him.

Ronnie Dobbs said:
You seem sharp with predictions Gorilla. I'd like to see the second happen for sure.

Hope the Raiders can hold Carney, but it doesn't sound good.

Wouldn't be too worried though. Campese is developing into a consistent game breaker.

even if the eels finish 16th and the dragons 15th? ;-)
Campese goes alright but is nowhere near the player Carney will develop into. On the bright side ive heard stories(which i believe) that Carney is not very popular with his team mates and it might be good for the team that he leaves.

Macko8

Juniors
I think management know carney is likely to leave.
why else would they approach trent barrett.

julian87

Juniors
Because they are playing hardball. Showing Carney he can't hold the club to ransom. It did backfire, but they're just showing the kid he isn't the be all and end all some make him out to be.

dubby

Bench
Bay56 said:
you dont say dubby !!

how about this for "mind games" ... Todd we'll offer you $400K a season, how about it.

For once Bay, I agree with you. But I think we should only match the Panthers offer first.

Bay56

First Grade
dubby said:
For once Bay, I agree with you. But I think we should only match the Panthers offer first.

Dude get used to agreeing me ... if TC leaves this club my bet is that a few will follow (players and supporters).

Bay56

First Grade
dubby said:

Imo we can afford to offer him $400K if that is what is needed (or at least a contract that is structured around that figure). The club should offer the kid every assistance in developing his potential with the likes of Daley, Johns or others that will place the final touches on his game.

When we achieve those ends this club is heading to the top by the quick elevator and wont be fart arsing around with under-done, injury-prone, temporary-has-beens which we have all had to endure in the past 6 years.

gph

Juniors
Bay56 said:
Dude get used to agreeing me ... if TC leaves this club my bet is that a few will follow (players and supporters).

Here's a tip for you, if TC stays, my bet is that a few will still go