What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett - new assistant coach

Panfas

Juniors
http://www.westernweekender.com.au/index.php/sport/1096-barrett-joins-panthers-staff
Barrett joins Panthers staff
Published on Wednesday, 24 October 2012 23:27
Written by Troy Dodds

Penrith will boost its coaching staff next season with Trent Barrett appointed as an assistant to Ivan Cleary.

The Daily Telegraph reports that Barrett, who is an assistant coach with the NSW Blues, will not take on a permanent role as Assistant Coach until 2014.

But he will spend the next 12 months working with the club's halves, and helping to develop playmaker academies at Penrith.

It is known that the Panthers want to constantly develop halfbacks from its junior base, but for the next few years will persist with Luke Walsh at halfback and most likely Lachlan Coote at five-eighth.

There's also a chance the Panthers will aim to secure a halfback from outside the club in an attempt to ensure short-term success whilst young potential stars are being developed.

It will be a major coup for Walsh and Coote to work with Barrett, one of the best halves of his era.

Cleary's job as head coach is in no way under threat.

Barrett told The Daily Telegraph that he was looking forward to joining Penrith.

"I would like to coach eventually, but I'm under no illusions that I still have a lot to learn," he said.

"That's one of the main reasons of going out there. To have Gus there, and also after what Ivan did with the Warriors and the hard calls he's made at Penrith - I can learn from that."

Fantastic signing IMO

YoungPanther

Juniors
Majik - I understand he is recently single so you better keep her locked up.

Any help with our halves is appreciated. If he can teach some of them to tackle that would also be of benefit.

Crazy Hazy

Juniors
Communication, as always, will be the key for Barrett. I'm sure he'll have the player's respect; he's obviously shown he was a skilful player, but imparting that knowledge in such a way that the halves improve, will be the real test for him.
Working with the most skilful of halves at Origin level is not necessarily a true reflection of a coach's ability to adress issues of change. Getting players to comprehend reasons as to why they need to adjust their game, choosing which aspects of a player's game to modify, and changing overall mindset to fit a game plan can be an enormous task for any coach.
I like the move and really hope Trent does well here at the Panthers but he has a tough task ahead of him.

...and the Panthers continue to build...

drago brelli

Bench
Someone mentioned earlier that Barrett is single...that's tragic if true, he's got four little kids and he was living on the water front at Barrack Point south of the 'gong.

murraymob

Coach
a great signing specially for coote who is learning the position and will improve with a half teaching him

TeamSatan

Juniors
Where is the "like" button.

Good for everyone involved.... TB has the looks of a penrith boy maybe just not as handsome.

maple_69

Bench
Good move, Barrett had a pretty great running game so hopefully he can help Walsh especially in this department.

I think he could be fantastic for Austin also, similar style of player so I think Blake could get a lot out of the association.