What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Merrin

getsmarty

Immortal
dsc_0019.jpg

DRAGONS

Grateful Merrin says he'll give Dragons value for money
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 7 Dec 2019, 08:26 AM

Trent Merrin insists he has nothing to prove in his return for the Dragons but the veteran forward believes he can recapture his best form.

Merrin, who left his junior club to join Penrith in 2016, is grateful to be back after a tough personal period.

Having played for Super League strugglers Leeds Rhinos last season, some have questioned the value of signing the 30-year-old on a two-year deal.

But the premiership-winning former NSW and Australian lock, who has played 205 NRL games, isn't bothered by any negative opinions as he sets about repaying St George Illawarra's faith.

"I've done everything in the game, I know what it takes to be the best and to work really hard to put myself in good positions," Merrin said.

"The main objective was to test myself now, bring my family back home, be happy.

"My partner and I are starting a family now and I think that's the chapter we're looking forward to.

"When you're in a happy place and you're very professional as an athlete - you put those two together and you can make some pretty special things happen."

Older and wiser, and boasting more leadership experience after captaining Leeds, Merrin is keen to mentor some emerging players.

It's a selfless mindset the skilful Shellharbour product admits he didn't always have.

"It's team-first now. Back in the day it was always trying to make a name for myself and put myself forward," Merrin said.

"But the circle of life now, coming back here at a decent age, it's about putting the team first and putting the club back where it deserves to be [after finishing 15th in 2019].

"You'll probably get the best out of me the next few years. The Dragons have taken a big punt on me, taking me back home and doing the right thing by me.

"I'll definitely be doing everything I can to produce some of my best footy."

Merrin says his passion for St George Illawarra never waned and he always hoped to return to the joint-venture outfit.

While he has no regrets, Merrin only departed the club in the first place because he thought it was necessary to develop as a footballer and a person.

"When you're at that age, you're surrounded by people. Everyone wants to put their input in and say their two pieces," Merrin said.

"It's hard to just look within yourself and make a decision based on your own feelings.

"A lot came into it. I was still a young pup. I was still being coached by [former teammates] Dean Young and Benny Hornby. At that time I felt like I needed to break away and grow for myself.

merrint-180713_gt_99.jpg

Trent Merrin during his stint at Penrith in 2018. :copyright:Grant Trouville/NRL Photos
"I think I was always looked upon as the junior around those blokes. I really needed to go away and spread my own wings and learn a lot about myself.

"It wasn't about going to a different club, it was a growth period. I've done that the last few years, I've gone away and learned a lot."

Having begun pre-season training three weeks late, Merrin's main focus is on working hard and enjoying the little things.

"I've been on a rollercoaster for the past few years but I feel like I've finally found my feet back home," he said.

"It gives me some goosebumps. It feels like I'm debuting again."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/07/grateful-merrin-says-hell-give-dragons-value-for-money/

getsmarty

Immortal
campaigns.json

Trent Merrin’s Dragons return is a dream come true. Now he wants to return them to glory
Pamela Whaley AAP, AAP
December 7, 2019 10:44am
A St George Illawarra homecoming gave Trent Merrin “goosebumps” when he walked into the training sheds, with the former representative star vowing to help return the club to NRL glory.

The 30-year-old forward returns to the Dragons from Leeds, older and wiser, four years after he left his junior club for Penrith.

Calling it a “dream come true” to return, the former NSW and Australian player said his role was to be selfless to help restore success at the Dragons.

'Goosebumps' upon STG return
15b7fca2a43871b20d3a411335fd693f

“I’ve always loved the Dragons and, to see such a youthful group come through, I know they did it a bit tough last year but they’re making up for it now; they’re putting their best foot forward,” he said.

“What I add is a bit of experience and I’ll do everything I possibly can to put myself in the best position in the best shape and the best mental condition to give this team everything I’ve got.

“I’ll leave it up to the coaches to make those decisions but my thing now is putting the team first and doing everything I possibly can to get this club back to where they deserve to be.

“It’s not about making positions - it’s more of a selfless job, mine now. It’s about putting the team first.”

Merrin returns to the NRL after one year with Leeds in the Super League that he labels “challenging”.

The club captain was released by the Rhinos from his four-year marquee contract after they secured Cronulla prop Matt Prior as a replacement on a two-year deal. From the cold weather to the free-flowing style of play, Merrin said he found Super League difficult to get used to but appreciated the life lessons it taught him.

7516e1472f0200e4fab4f8433e119ad6

Trent Merrin has returned from Leeds for a second coming with the Dragons.
“I learned a lot about leading a team and I took a lot out of it,” he said. “It was a massive growth period for me personally, as well as the rugby league side of things.

“It was a massive growth period going over there, stepping outside of our comfort zone, being in the cold weather every day.

“I’m grateful for it.

“It’s made me appreciate everything that we do have here.

“To be back here on the coast and put that Red V on again, it gave me goosebumps walking into the sheds.

“That speaks 1000 words itself.”

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...s/news-story/3f62f30a98a48ca0024b852e1d2340af

getsmarty

Immortal
Merrin older, wiser, but far from done ahead of Dragons second coming
Dragons Den
r0_0_4496_2997_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

HOME SWEET HOME: Returning Dragons forward Trent Merrin. Picture: Dragons Media

RETURNING Dragons forward Trent Merrin admits he has unfinished business in the NRL, but he's not interested in proving doubters wrong.

If there's major shift in mindset in his second coming with his junior club it's that. That desire is what drove him to win a premiership and play for his state before his 22nd birthday.

It also played at least some part in his decision to depart the Dragons at the end of 2015 to take up a rich three-year deal with Penrith.

It was the start of a roller coaster ride he admits has given him cause to question some decisions, but he wouldn't change anything either.

"When you're at that age your surrounded by people who want to put their two cents in and it's hard to just look within yourself and make a decision based on your own feelings," he says of his initial departure.

"A lot came into it, I was still a young pup, I was still being coached by [former teammates] Dean Young and Benny Hornby and, at that time, I felt I needed to break away and grow for myself.

"I think I was always looked upon as a junior around those blokes and at that time I really needed to go away and spread my own wings and learn a bit about myself.

"It wasn't about [wanting to go] to a different club it was about a growth period for myself. Rugby league-wise, as an athlete, I've ticked every box I can. It's been more of a personal growth period.

"I think I've learned more about myself than anyone probably could in the last few years. It's been good, I don't regret anything."

He reached the finals in all three of his seasons with the Panthers, while he also added a notch to his now seven-Test tally.

Still, when he was deemed surplus to requirements at the foot of the mountains it was a reality check of sorts when only Super League giants Leeds came knocking.

It was a mammoth four-year deal but Merrin said he felt the lure of the NRL just a year into what was a trying campaign with the Rhinos.

It leaves him grateful for the chance to return to Wollongong, but he insists he's not returning with a chip on his shoulder.

"I don't think I have too much to prove to be honest, I've done everything in the game," Merrin said.

"It was a bit of a bitter pill to swallow when I did leave [Australia] but my love and passion was always with the NRL. I didn't think I was ready to go [to England] but obviously circumstances led me to make that decision to go over there.

"It's been a roller coaster last few years but I feel like I've finally found my feet back home. I'm not here to prove anyone wrong or anything like that, my main objective to is be happy, be home with my family and be really proud and passionate back in the red v.

"Back in the day it was about trying to make a name for myself and putting myself forward but now coming back here at a decent age it's about putting the team first and getting the club back to where it needs to be."

The 'decent' age is still only 30 and, while some of those knockers suggest his best football's behind him, Merrin is confident it's still to come.

"It's been a big growth period, I'm probably speaking like I'm 40 but the last few years have taught me a lot," he said.

"It's about being humble and appreciating what we have here. The Dragons have taken a big punt bringing me back home and doing the right thing by me so I'll be doing everything I possibly can to play my best footy."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...-done-ahead-of-dragons-second-coming/?cs=3713

This Year?

Immortal
When things go south like they did a few seasons ago, the game day threads will be a fun read. One could even say they will get goosebumps.

kit66

Bench
He will be value for money only if he plays prop.
If he plays 13 it will be a huge mistake as it was last time we tried it.

Did none of you watch any Super League last year ?
Merrin played Lock and Left Edge Backrow all last year and played really well. He had a very good year in those positions and in captaining the team. He's wasted and I believe unsuitable at prop. As it says in the articles he's down to 98kgs which is barely enough for a lock let alone for prop. Leave prop to the big, not so smart guys and leave lock and backrow to others who can help more in attack with some smarts and agility.
We need big metres from our props this year ( from our starters and from those coming off the bench ) an area we were very poor in last year.

BLM01

First Grade
Merrin played Lock and Left Edge Backrow all last year and played really well. He had a very good year in those positions and in captaining the team. He's wasted and I believe unsuitable at prop. As it says in the articles he's down to 98kgs which is barely enough for a lock let alone for prop. Leave prop to the big, not so smart guys and leave lock and backrow to others who can help more in attack with some smarts and agility.
We need big metres from our props this year ( from our starters and from those coming off the bench ) an area we were very poor in last year.
form in SL not much to go by and A lot of the supporters were glad to see the back of him for some reason. Didn't he come home for part of the year for family reasons
He must b a short arse if a man of his build etc is only 98kgs and they say muscle weighs heavier than fat unless has little muscle and if he is that light and fit throw him at centre.
Are we talking about the same Trent Merrin Who was marked to be the New South Wales big future busting the line prop many years ago and groomed that way under Benny until Steve price got his hands on him, got into his head and made him believe he was a fleetfooted stepping forward who started propping before the line and could offload anywhere in any position.even when it wasn't warranted. Penrith used him as a battering ram

Old Timer

Coach
ESL is full of “has been” forwards from Australia & NZ
Any decent pommie forwards are all over here under contract so IMO not too hard for a reasonable player to stand out even when out of position.
If as you say he is down to 98 kgs then why the f**k did we buy him as most of the centres and wingers in the good sides are as big if not bigger than him?
Seen a photo of James Graham the other day he also looked light on for size so maybe we are going for all out mobility this year heaven knows the “power game” didn’t do anything for us.

Latest posts