What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tri-Nations final set for Manchester

DIEHARD

----
The Rugby Football League is close to taking its first big Rugby League game to the new City of Manchester Stadium.

The 48,000 all-seater stadium - built for the 2002 Commonwealth Games, and now the home of Manchester City football club - has been visited by RFL officials, who are thought to be ready to take the final of this autumn’s Tri-Nations series, between New Zealand, Australia and Great Britain, to the ground.

The only major issue is thought to rest on whether a new playing surface is installed at the stadium this summer.

The RFL are also thought to be considering using Fulham’s Craven Cottage ground for the Australia v New Zealand Tri-Nations game.

News from : http://www.TotalRL.com - Top site!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Seems to me to be the ideal venue for the tri nations final. It will sell out, I'm sure of it, esspecially if the final features the British and Irish Lions. It will be interesting to see if London gets any matches.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
I can't see a sell out unless GB have a pretty solid chance of winning the game.

If it is another NZ V Australia match it would be a grave yard.

Craven Cottage seems a fair choice, but perhaps the crowd might be slightly down than if it was played in NZ, where it shoud be played.

DIEHARD

----
Why wouldn't the brits treat it like a RSL GF or Challenge Cup and sell it out? I guess it is a tall order to think they'd sell it out when they mightn't be involved.

Anyway Im going to try and get over to the Tri Nations this year, so at least one seat will be sold. Go the almighty Kangaroos!

yakstorm

First Grade
Well over 40,000 turned up to the Rugby League World Cup Final, and lets face it there was even less chance then of a British side making the final in that tournament than in the Tri-Series.

I think City of Manchester Stadium is a safe choice, I mean if GB made the final I'm sure the RFL could sell out a 80,000 seater stadium, but this should mean a respectable crowd, no matter who is there.

Big Bunny

Juniors
If they sell all the tickets before the game tey won't have to worry. It's up to the RFL to make the public aware of the Tri-Series. Which is omething they did poorly in regard to the Ashes but that still had sellouts.

Jeffles

Bench
Good venue choice with City of Manchester

Fulham is not bad (if you have to play it in UK). But I'd have rewarded Brentford for being so hospitable to the Broncos. Plus the ground would look better if it was a packed Griffin Park rather than a half empty Craven Cottage.

dimitri

First Grade
they sound like sound decisions

hopefully the series is marketed real well and we see sell out or near sellout games

griff

Bench
Good idea to take the game to that ground. Being the first time it is being used for RL it should have a "build it and they will come" sort of effect like Telstra Stadium had when it first opened.

I thought it may even have been a good idea on the last Kangaroo Tour to have the opening test there.

This is a risk in that GB may not make it to the final, but after years of safety first administration I like the idea.

Also, good to see Rugby League return to the Cottage. Hopefully the renovations can modernise it while keeping its charm.

ali

Bench
Fulham would be a good choice for the other Aus vs NZ game. Not too far from where most of the Aussies and Kiwis hang out in London. And a bit bigger and better than Brentford.

I think unfortunately the Broncos have shown they can't get good enough crowds for tour games.

I applaud taking the gmae back to Manchester, this should attract more casual fans.

Jeffles

Bench
Ali

Why blame the Broncos for the "poor" crowds at Brentford (which I thought were OK considering they were midweek games).

Marketing those tour games (which are England A and not London Broncos) is the responsibility of the RFL.

Brentford FC have been very supportive of the Broncos. They've let the Broncos play when they could easily have told them where to go. I'm not denying that there is some self interest in Brentford getting more ground use but it is still a very generous act for them to open up their ground and allow London to play there for 7 years.

Fulham is closer to the Aussies and Kiwis, that is a plus. We'll just have to see how the game goes.

ali

Bench
I was under the impression that the RFL gave full marketing responsibility to the Broncos, to promote the England A games?

Jeffles

Bench
Don't know about that but either way the buck would stop wth the RFL.

Besides, to get at least double the London Broncos average crowd to a midweek match is a good achievement.

Alan Shore

First Grade
Great choice of venue. We need to use grounds like that for credibility - quite frankly, 25,000 "sell-outs" still don't look overly good.

MEE

Juniors
Fullham don't play at Craven Cottage anymore. Fullham are yet to decide if the ground will be redeveloped or if they move to another ground. They're currently playing out of Loftus Road.

griff

Bench
Dinamo said:
Fullham don't play at Craven Cottage anymore. Fullham are yet to decide if the ground will be redeveloped or if they move to another ground. They're currently playing out of Loftus Road.

Apparently they are moving back for the start of next season.

They failed to get planning approval for a major rebuilding of the stadium so are just refurbishing the old one.

Fanny Batter

Juniors
the city of manchester stadium is a great choice for the final. it'll be a sell out for sure even if GB don't make the final.

Anonymous

Juniors
griff said:
Dinamo said:

Apparently they are moving back for the start of next season.

They failed to get planning approval for a major rebuilding of the stadium so are just refurbishing the old one.

Planning approval was granted. Unfortunately, costs escalated due to unforseen circumstances. We're going home for next season officially, with new undercover seating being added. From then a decision will be reached about our ground...

Hightown Tiger

Juniors
The final will sell out if the RFL get their act together.
They need to sell tickets through individual clubs, ask clubs to organise coach trips, and have plenty of cheap tickets (e.g. £20 max) available.

Also, they need to sort out purchasing over the phone, because in past years it has been terrible.