What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tri-Nations Squads

In-goal

Bench
I was just thinking today about the prospects of New Zealand for the tournament and although they are generaly very strong they realy lack a class Fullback, so here we go.

1.???
2. Vainikolo
3. Vangana
4. Sonny Bill Williams, Willie Talua
5. Matt Utai
6. Robbie Paul
7. Stacey Jones, Lance Hohia or Lelui (spelling)
8. Cayless, Rauhihi, Chan
9. Swain
10.Cayless, Smith (Wigan)
11.Pulatua
12.Gnalavo (spelling)
13.Wiki

Now with the emergence of Frank Pritchard he would be a certain bench player along with a utility back ??? i don't know who. A couple of extra forwards and that is outstanding with the exception of fullback.

If only Hunt wanted to play for his nation of birth, and maybe stacey was in form.

SP

Bench
if i was NZ id pick Hunt anyway, no matter what he says, and if he dont like it, the NZRL should make the ARL and QRL not to pick him for SOO/Australia

DIEHARD

----
I wish he would play for New Zealand. He is an awesome player, Im a Bronco fan but I don't respect people not representing their country. It undermines our international game, imagine if New Zealand had access to the players they should...

Matt M

Juniors
Hunt had equal say about who he should play for, he has lived in Australia since he was 10 or something and has played all of his football here.

Anyway here's my Aus team
1 Minichiello
2 Rooney
3 Tate
4 Lewis
5 Slater
6 Lockyer
7 Gower
8 Webcke
9 Buderus
10 Ryles
11 Fitzgibbon
12 Kennedy
13 Timmins

14 Civoniceva
15 Crocker
16 Flannery
17 Wing

griff

Bench
Tamazoid said:
Hunt at the back for NZ would be awesome. Shame he's rather play for some lowly state side.

It is, and this will become more and more of an issue in future years as clubs sign young Kiwi players at younger and younger ages. It greatly damages the status of international RL when people turn their back on their country and want to play Origin instead.

I think they need to change the eligibility criteria to rule that people like Hunt and Benji Marshall are not eligible to play Origin.

Matthew Ridge was eligible to play Origin for NSW, so it is clear the rules need to be fixed up.

kiwi_man

Juniors
my kiwi team:
1. M. Tony
2. L. Vainakolo
3. N. Vagana
4. S. Williams
5. J. Lolesi
6. L. Hohaia
7. S. Jones
8. P. Rauhihi
9. R. Paul
10. A. Chan
11. A. Lauiti'iti
12. T. Puletua
13. R. Wiki(C)
14. D. Kidwell
15. J. Cayless
16. ??
17. ??

DIEHARD

----
It is obvious that the Kiwis need a 2nd NRL club. This sort of crap with Kiwis wanting Blue and Maroon jerseys will just increase in the future. :roll:

Alan Shore

First Grade
griff said:
Tamazoid said:
Hunt at the back for NZ would be awesome. Shame he's rather play for some lowly state side.

It is, and this will become more and more of an issue in future years as clubs sign young Kiwi players at younger and younger ages. It greatly damages the status of international RL when people turn their back on their country and want to play Origin instead.

I think they need to change the eligibility criteria to rule that people like Hunt and Benji Marshall are not eligible to play Origin.

Matthew Ridge was eligible to play Origin for NSW, so it is clear the rules need to be fixed up.

Exactly, as a New South Welshman I couldn't support Ridge in the sky blue because he isn't truly one of us. I'm sure Queenslanders feel the same about people like Hunt and Benji Marshall should they be selected. Luckily however, Marshall has pledged his allegiance to NZ. Perhaps he is an option at fullback?

DIEHARD

----
Having Kiwis in over kids born and bred in Queensland delutes the passion of the Maroon jersey. I'd rather lose with Queenslanders than win with Kiwi ring ins.

They need a 2nd NZ team and maybe a test series v GB or PNG or Pacific Isles when we play Origin.

Benji has my respect he is going to play for his nation and I really rate him for making that call. I hope he is better in time for the Tri Nations. :D

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Here's what I reckon the squads would be:

Wiki (captain)
N Cayless
J Cayless
Paul
Puletua
Galuvao
Jones
Hohaia
Whaturia
Rauhihi
Swain
Vainikolo
Vagana
Meli
Chan
Pritchard
Tony
Sonny Bill-Williams
Marshall
Kidwell
Afamasaga
Fa'afili

Australia:

Lockyer (capt.)
Minichello
Tate
Slater
Lewis
Gower
Webcke
Buderus
O'Meley
Fitzgibbon
Hindmarsh
Timmins
Wing
Clinton
Crocker
Flannery
Civinoceva
Ryles
De Vere
Hill
Kennedy
Price
Gasnier

Jack Afamasaga, the new Kiwi rising star, he's been impressive for Parramatta lately. As for Sonny Bill, he was impressive in the Newcastle test, not sure if he'll be fit for the tri-series.

Matt M

Juniors
Based on the little ESL I've watched, and based on last years series, this is my GB side

1 Radlinski
2 Carney
3 Senior
4 Ellis
5 Pryce
6 Harris (if he gets back to his best)
7 Deacon
8 Fielden
9 Cunningham
10 Morley
11 Peacock
12 Farrell
13 Sculthorpe

Not sure about the bench.

I'm not basing this team off much, so some others would have a far better opinion.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Andy Farrell is GB's biggest problem, he's become more of an easy target now, players seem to run at him cause of his poor defence. Dont understand what the Poms see in him.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Hunt might end up changing his mind in the end, since the likes of Wesser, Bowen, Schifcoske and even Slater are more of a chance at fullback than Hunt for QLD.

Matt M

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
Andy Farrell is GB's biggest problem, he's become more of an easy target now, players seem to run at him cause of his poor defence. Dont understand what the Poms see in him.

In my opinion Farrell is a pretty average lock just because he tries to play like a 5/8. When they put him as a wide-running 2nd rower he is great. Don't know much about his defense but his attack is good.

GB Lion

Juniors
Recently at wigan we have been using him as a wide running second rower and he has been playing superb.

Matt M - What about Sean Long......he is much better an attacking Scrum Half than Paul Deacon.

My GB side:

1 Radlinski
2. Carney
3. Ellis
4. Senior
6. McGuire
7. Long
8. Fielden
9. Cunningham ( If fully fit, if not Then Newton)
10. Morley
11. Farrell
12. Peacock
13. Sculthorpe

14. Horne
15. Wellens
16. McDermott
17. Anderson/???????

As for Paul Deacon.................. :lol:

Matt M

Juniors
From last years series, Deacon was far better, Long was alright but didn't bother Australia as much. Isn't he suspended for betting anyway, or will he be back by the series.

Latest posts