What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tri-Nations Squads

Earl

Coach
David Kidwell and Alex Chan would have to be certanties for NZ going on form.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
The way Kidwell played in the Newcastle test match, you would have to say he's a certainty.

Sonny Bill-Williams also looked good in that test for New Zealand, I wonder if he'll be fit before the tri-series.

Nook

Bench
I'll have a crack at a Pommy side

1. Radlinski
2. Carney, if fit
3. Senior
4. Would have been Gleeson ... I'd give Gareth Ellis a crack
5. Anyones guess.... Pryce possibly
6. Maguire
7. Horne/Deacon/Long - honestly can't split em
8. Fielden - needs to fire up if hes gonna make any impact
9. Cunninghan - surely not Newton again, his ill discipline lost them games last year
10. Morley
11. Peacock
12. Farrel - fifity-fifty but I love the bloke lol
13. Schulthorpe

The halves are the biggest dilemna. Despite the fact that all the Poms don't rate him, Deacon would be valuable - they will need a good organiser and a good kicking game to be consistenly competitive, and Deacon for mine is the only one who can provide this. If Long wasn't suspended, I'd go with him.

Bench will depend on whos picked in the XIII - have to look at D. Schulthorpe, Fozzard, Gilmour, Crabtree, Wellens etc, as well as whoever misses out in the halves.
Personally I think they will go OK provided they pick the right team, and provided we have a ESL-style interpretation of the 10 and the play the ball, with more time to get in the oppositions faces and some big defence. Can't wait!

Art Vanderlay

Juniors
a real Kiwi team for the Tri Nations!!!

1, R Paul
2, L Vainikolo
3, N Vagana
4, C Toopi
5, P Whaturia
6, ??????????
7, S Jones
8, J Cayless
9, R Swain (out of retirement)
10, P Rauhihi
11, R Wiki capt
12, T Puletua
13, D Kidwell
14, S Kearney
15, Joe G
16, N Cayless
17, S Bill-Williams

No class kiwi 5/8th big problem and also lacking a fullback (re anzac test)
Wet paddocks in England so i went with a mobile forward pack (i think)
also Need the hard men for any drama!!! so Rauhihi had to be there...

Gaz_the_bull

Juniors
Matt M said:
From last years series, Deacon was far better, Long was alright but didn't bother Australia as much. Isn't he suspended for betting anyway, or will he be back by the series.

Deacon gets a lot of stick from RL fans in the UK because he's not the flashiest of players but he's a good organiser, and has a superb kicking game Long can be brilliant on his day but as anyone who saw the 1st ashes test will know he can be awful. But Long is suspended untill spetember so I personally wouldn't pick hm anyway, and Deacon hasn't been playing well this season. FWIW my GB team would be.

1 Wellens
2 Carney
3 Ellis
4 Senior
5 Pryce
6 McGuire
7 Horne
8 Fielden
9 Cunnigham
10 Morley
11 Farrell
12 Peacock
13 Sculthorpe

14 Fozzard
15 Bailey
16 + 17 two from Deacon/Harris/Johnson/Gilmour/ Walker

other possible players in squad

Sinfield, Raynor, Mathers, Reardon, D Sculthorpe, Mason, Parker, Hock, Diskin, Wood, Bennett

dazza

Staff member
Diehard said:
I don't respect people not representing their country. It undermines our international game, imagine if New Zealand had access to the players they should...

i couldn`t agree more.

karmichael hunt has lived in aussie for 4 years, he moved there when he was 13.

i wouldn`t have him in my kiwi team. traitor :twisted:

griff, you are dead right. i`m a big queensland fan, well as big as you can get here in nz, but the rules have to change.

we are planning to move to brisbane, & if my son is good enuff to play at that level, he will be playing for nz. not queensland, not australia.

we are kiwis, born & bred, thats who we support & thats it.

I know a few of you will say" why not stay in nz then", but hey, we came for a holiday & loved the place so much, we decided to move there.

whoever gets selected to play for the kiwis, should be selected because they want to play for their country. not because they don`t think they will get selected for aussie because some other players are better than them & thay won`t get a start.

tonie carroll is a classic example. went to the uk, so made himself available for the kiwis, goes back to the broncos, not available for the kiwis.

the rules must change.

anyway, thats just my opinion. crucify me if you will.

cheers dazza

screeny

Bench
It should be simple, but this is RL.

National eligibility in my view should mirror that of soccer, and I'm sure a lot of other major sports. A player can choose nations up until he reaches adulthood and then his choice is a final one.

However, in RL our int'l programme is so sparse can our administrators seriously look a player in the eye and tell him if he chooses Fiji in the WC then that's it for life? Very difficult to do.

Of course this changes dramatically if we ever get a regular Pac Cup going (is it still on this year? Oz or NZ? How many sides? ANy one got any answers?) then players have an int'l outlet.

The Tonie Carroll thing was an embarrassment to the game as a whole. You've got to blame the AUssies with their origin attitudes.

GB :

1. R Mathers ( Leeds )
2. B Carney ( Wigan )
3. G Ellis ( Wakefield )
4. K Senior ( Leeds )
5. S Reardon ( Bradford )
6. D McGuire ( Leeds )
7. R Horne ( Hull )
8. S Fieldon ( Bradford )
9. K Cunningham ( St Helens )
10. A Morley ( Sydney R )
11. A Farrell ( Wigan )