What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tri-Series Doomed to Fail?

ucantseeme

Juniors
I have heard that the TRI-Series between AU,GB & NZ is to be an annual event with this years to be held in England and next years to be held here.

Does anyone else think this is asking a bit much. I'm sure this years series will be well supported, but we all know with absolute certainty who will win this year, and next year, and the year after. The idea of AU thrashing GB and NZ doesn't wanna make me go buy a ticket.

I believe we must be international RL alive and try to improve the standard but have this series every year is a bad idea. Perhaps once every 4 years. In the in between years there could be a one off game between AU & NZ with a match against PNG or PNG thrown in, in one year.

Selling tickets to this will not be easy when it comes down under next year, so i sense most of the games will be played in regional areas.

Too much too soon. We are just to dominant to make it worthwhile.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Hopefully NZ and GB will improve with more games against the Aussies.

You would think that in a couple of years, the Kiwis will have an excellent side....

BuffaloRules said:
Hopefully NZ and GB will improve with more games against the Aussies.

You would think that in a couple of years, the Kiwis will have an excellent side....

I think that day is closer than what you think.

Whilst we SHOULD win the tri-nations, don't be surprised if we finish 3rd.

Look at the rugby...who would have thought the kiwis would have finished 3rd after all sides won their home and aways.

The Poms will be itching for another crack at us after last years disappointment, the kiwis whilst light on in the halves have a bloody good side.

We do look to have too much class for them though but it will be very interesting to see how this pans out.

simostorm

Bench
WHo cares if Australia win it every year, at least we get to see more League, and makes the off season go quicker.
I think the Arl have said that the tri series will be every 2 years.
It will be a good series to watch, GB and NZ are closing the gap on AUs.

simostorm said:
WHo cares if Australia win it every year, at least we get to see more League, and makes the off season go quicker.

Praise the lord!!!

Geez I hate the month of October...the gap between footy and cricket.

JK

I willl go to every game in NSW and would try to travel to Brissie and/or Melbourne if they have games there too!

How good are internationals?? The battle for selection, the passion of playing for your nation, the new faces in the opposing teams!

It will be brilliant! The GB-NZ tour two years ago was simply the best and last year we only just won the games - Lockyer was the difference.

BRING IT ON! :D

Broncodroid

Juniors
If this concept is to be an "annual event" the NRL needs to look at the number of games they are asking the elite players to play in the NRL competition.

I expect someone to come at me with the "they are professional sportsment, they play when they are told"...I won't wear that. The NRL is arguably the toughest professional sporting code world wide when it comes to body contact and we only need to look at season 2004 in relation to season ending injuries to some of the elite in the game. I am certain the current load will see off Brisbane's own Shane Webcke before his time should be up and a guy like Craig Fitzgibbon could be in the same boat.

A couple of examples which highlight my concern:

1. Danny Buderus: Is asked to play 26 rounds with Newcastle, 3 for NSW, 1 ANZAC Day Test plus whatever comes up with the Tri-Series. Danny is playing at least 30+ games and that is not including the finals. This brings me to...

2. Willie Mason / Mark O'Meley: The new 'Tallis and Webcke' the pair have been billed is a fair call. Both are young rep players destined to don the rep jersey when fit for at least 6-8 years in perhaps a team that could be finals contenders for all of those years such is the age and talent at the club. This year Mason played 26 rounds with Canterbury, 3 for NSW and 3 finals series games ! 32 games thus far not including the upcoming Tri-Series.

Oh wait a minute, the 'Origin Trial' City vs Country...that is another game for some of the elite. Where Gould was happy to talk it up as a trial for the sky blue jersey, their is now an onus on selectors to put the best 34 players contending for 17 positions in the NSW Blues team. If they "rest" star players giving them a free pass so to speak in to the NSW team then why the need for this "Origin Trial" ? Another topic perhaps in which I won't comment further for now.

I'm sorry, the load we are putting on the elite is going to cut short careers and we as a Rugby League community will be the lesser not to mention the game.

By all means, make the concept a annual event, I see it as bettering the game internationally as NZ & GB will be asked to improve or face the embarassment of a slaughtering by the Roo's...but look after the players as well recognising the fact that we are over burdening the best players in the competition.

DIEHARD

----
I think you underestimate how truely competitive fully fit Great Britain and New Zealand would be. They could both beat Australia.

Unfortunately there are alot of injuries and pull outs on those sides. But the tournament will still be fantastic.

Ray

Juniors
Greenblooded said:
I think Great Britain might go alright, Kiwis have no halves at at all at the moment.

Robbie Paul, Thomas Leuluai, Motu Tony will do.

carlnz

Bench
Broncodroid said:
1. Danny Buderus: Is asked to play 26 rounds with Newcastle, 3 for NSW, 1 ANZAC Day Test plus whatever comes up with the Tri-Series. Danny is playing at least 30+ games and that is not including the finals. This brings me to...

Get over it, they get paid loads of cash to do what they love...they can say no...i would give my right arm to have talent like them....and play for my country.....

carlnz

Bench
DIEHARD said:
I think you underestimate how truely competitive fully fit Great Britain and New Zealand would be. They could both beat Australia.

Unfortunately there are alot of injuries and pull outs on those sides. But the tournament will still be fantastic.

Liek darren Lockyer said last year, the british have improved alot....and Wayne said he cant wait to get over thier....GB on their home groun in front of 25,000+ no easy task...

Kiwis in fron of 20,000+ no easy task!!

When was the last time Aussie smashed the kiwis in NZ?? Ithink you guys are very tuff to beat home (52-0 2000) but away from home..aussie are very beatable.

I think GB could win the Tri Nations...and it will return a major profit...which can only help the International game

griff

Bench
ucantseeme said:
I have heard that the TRI-Series between AU,GB & NZ is to be an annual event with this years to be held in England and next years to be held here.

Does anyone else think this is asking a bit much.

I think having the same competition between the same three teams year in and year out is too much. It is not just because Australia are the raging hot favourites, it is because there will be too many matches in GB, a complete lack of variety, and it devalues the World Cup which is the most important tool for making rugby league more truly international.

No matter how good the games are, people will get bored of the same teams playing in the same comp all the time. And GB fans will have too many home test matches so that they aren't special anymore.

When a Kangaroo Tour or a Lions Tour was only every four years they were something rare and special, and thousands packed into places like Wembley. Now Australia play in Great Britain way too often and we congratulate ourselves if we can sell out the JJB.

We need to have a regular cycle of tours and a World Cup so that when the international events roll around they are rare, historical and special.