What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tri-Series Doomed to Fail?

aussie_londoner

Juniors
well i bought my tickets to the aus v nz game to be held in london on the 23rd of october today. im going to be going with a group of about 20, roughly even on kiwis to aussies and its gunna be great, never had much interest in international footy, but now i live near a stadium where i cn go and watch it, i cant wait.

Nugby

Juniors
Broncodroid, I think the way I'm looking at this that's different from yours is that where you see careers cut short, I see the game getting harder and faster, as is likely to happen in any sport. Sure, our heroes like Webcke and Fitzgibbon may not get to play into their mid-thirties at the top level, but that's the way the game is, now. Barring slow the game down (how?) players are going to need to be at their peak in order to play and those legends who continue to make the grade like Tallis, into their 30's, are legends. As well as this, if an elite player cannot handle the burdeh, they always have the option of quitting rep football. For all my respect and admiration for Shaun Timmins, he looks as though he will acknowledge this, as have Tallis Ryan Girdler, etc, in the past.

As for City Country, I will continue to back that Test to the hilt but you have made clear you don't want to argue it just yet. There's always next year

Marty

Juniors
griff,

If we used yourlogic that watching three teams play every year would get boring...how do you feel about State of Orgin watching 2 teams play each other 3 every year.

For the record I think the tri nations are to be played every 2nd year.

Ray

Juniors
Tri-Nations won't get boring. Because with the exception of the odd Anzac Test, this will be the only International League tournment.

Stevo_G

Juniors
my only problem with the tri-series is that it is being held in the u.k for 3 years in a row thats a f**kn joke

maybe in 2005 they need to bring the tri-series to nz but that won't happen

griff

Bench
Ray said:
Tri-Nations won't get boring. Because with the exception of the odd Anzac Test, this will be the only International League tournment.

That's the problem, it will be the only International Rugby League tournament.

Rather than the Ashes, the Baskiville Shield, the Bill Kelly Trophy, etc etc the Tri-Nations is the be all and end all.

Obviously the Tri-Nations may throw up some good games that aren't in any way boring. But the competition will get stale because there will be such a lack of variety in the International Rugby League on offer.

Boring was perhaps too strong a word because that implies the games will be boring, which isn't necessarily the case. But in future years it will have a lack of specialness due to being held too often. They should be keeping things special by not having them too often.

It's pretty basic sports marketing to make people perceive the event to be a special event to watch. If you watch what Union does, they do this very well, and this proposal ensures league will continue to lag behind.

Ray

Juniors
The Pacific Team would be one of the strongest teams in the world.

Just look at the number of players in both the NZ and AUS team that has Islander blood in them.

nickdraperfto

Juniors
Belly in Brisvegas said:
BuffaloRules said:
Hopefully NZ and GB will improve with more games against the Aussies.

You would think that in a couple of years, the Kiwis will have an excellent side....

I think that day is closer than what you think.

Whilst we SHOULD win the tri-nations, don't be surprised if we finish 3rd.

Look at the rugby...who would have thought the kiwis would have finished 3rd after all sides won their home and aways.

The Poms will be itching for another crack at us after last years disappointment, the kiwis whilst light on in the halves have a bloody good side.

We do look to have too much class for them though but it will be very interesting to see how this pans out.

I couldn't agree more with your comments!!! The aussies shoudl win but could finish 3rd...this is now a REAL competition and will grow international rugby on an annual basis. How can you dispute its importance? We have been crying out for these nations to be competitve for years. The only reason international League is in a poor state is becuase we (GB) were soooooo poor for so long!