What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial Form , Confusing

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Sure it should not be confusing as players are rested and many new players enter the frey. BUT it is still amazing that teams like the Raiders could be losing to a tongan team, and just manage to scrape home, then they come up against a bulldogs lineup, with a A1 side, and are getting hammered 30- 0 with only 2 late tries giving them some credibility.

Then you have the roosters who fielded a strong lineup Minus fitler, Wing and Morley with 7 internationals and they come up against the reserve grade side of Newcastle, and manage to scrape home.

At the Dragons, we never use the excuse, it was just a trial game. We always use 30 players in trials, but we also compete in those games. Mainly due to a good defensive structure in all grades.

The trial games can give the team a negative feeling going into the first couple of rounds. Especially if a full strength team, or near enough to is used, in comparison to the opposing team.

We play the raiders in round 1, and they are a Gun side IMHO, but Im hoping that their trial form continues onto round 1. :lol: :lol:

Roosterphin

Juniors
In the Roosters game they were in control so ran on alot of the Flegg and Reserve grade players. So I find it difficult to read anything into it

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Roosterphin said:
In the Roosters game they were in control so ran on alot of the Flegg and Reserve grade players. So I find it difficult to read anything into it

U may not read anything into it But I and others do read something. Maybe the hodges affair still Lingers !!!

Chook

First Grade
LMFAO @ Stgillaman :lol: :lol:

You read something into it do you? This is going to be good...please do tell, exactly what do you "read into it"

I'm dying to hear!!!

Chook.

Macca

Coach
Trials results mean nothing. Anyone who thinks the can read something into it is kidding themselves.

Chook

First Grade
No no, Stgillaman can read something into our trial result? Can't wait for this!

Chook.

TRANSLATION

Juniors
Chook said:
No no, Stgillaman can read something into our trial result? Can't wait for this!

Chook.

had you won comfortably, I would not be saying a thing. Nor for the Radiers. But that's not what occured, and that's what the topic is about, if you want to get your feathers ruffled, that's your perogative.

Personally, it aint that big a deal, just interesting.

antonius

Coach
A trial is exactly that "a trial" The knights loss doesn't particually bother me, we got to run some of the buys, and I'd say Hages was happy with what he saw. The Goosters ran some of their new guys and I'd say they were more interested in how they went than the result. from all reports Finch will have his work cut out to keep Dorn out of his spot.

Chook

First Grade
You said you were "being able to read something into it". 'It' being our trial result, yet now it's "just interesting" in the space of one post?

Can you read something into it or are you just talking out your arse again?

Chook.

thickos

First Grade
you can't read anything into trial form. Teams have 13 man benches - give me an NRL game where that happens! Bringing on fresh men all the time certainly changes the dynamic of the game completely.

Chook

First Grade
thickos said:
you can't read anything into trial form. Teams have 13 man benches - give me an NRL game where that happens! Bringing on fresh men all the time certainly changes the dynamic of the game completely.

Absolutely agree 100%. But it seems Stgillaman can read something into trial form, I'm just waiting for him to ellaborate or admit to talking out his arse...again.

Chook.

skeepe

Immortal
Stgillaman, while I don't believe you can read much into trial results, if you feel you must read something into our results against Tonga let me give you a few background facts.

The match was, in fact, two 40 minute matches that went as follows:
20 minutes Raiders vs USA
20 minutes Raiders vs Tonga
20 minutes Raiders vs USA
20 minutes Raiders vs Tonga

Therefore it logically follows that the Tongans would have been much fresher for their second 20 minutes, which they did in fact win 10-8. The Raiders were not taking kicks at conversion for many of their tries. It was also played in 35 degree heat, so it would be understandable that maybe the Raiders were a little tired after 80 minutes. Even so, the scores were:

Raiders 48-0 USA
Raiders 28-16 Tonga

So, Stgillaman, read into it what you will. I will take heart in the fact that, despite last weekends loss to the Bulldogs, the Raiders will be primed and ready to go in season 2004.

melon....

Coach
Stgillaman said:
Roosterphin said:

U may not read anything into it But I and others do read something. Maybe the hodges affair still Lingers !!!
For someone that knows nothing about my club, you sure do like to stir the pot with unfounded innuendo.

Easts were in control on Saturday night and the most game time their first graders got was 27 minutes. As Phin writes, several Flegg and reserve graders had a go, as did the Newcastle boys. It was a trial match and the fact that Easts didnt get out of second gear dosnt mean much in the long term. Just be greatful that no players ended up like Pat Richards with a broken leg and out for the season.

Some positives. Newcastle played well with a lot of feeling in the game between players turning these 2 into traditional rivals in no time. Cross is huge and has regained his speed. Walker toyed with the opoosition running them ragged. Crocker lifted the game to another level when on and Dorn was outstanding in his first hitout for the Roosters. David Shillington one of the monsters of the NRL at 21, 196cm and 115kilos, scored a try and got through the game minus his usual hamstring problems. Hodges returned from injury setting up the first try with a trademark dont argue bust and deft chip to put Crocker in undewr the posts. Stuart Webb, Paea, and a couple of new boys had a run and went well. One of the new foirwards whos name escapes me played out of his skin and was still jumping in excitement after the game at the rsl club after being told he had earnt a contract.
Mick Crocker and The Brain led the charge to the bar.

Newcastle showcased a good bunch of youth and they seem to be sorting out their depth department with good allround performances.

An entertaining game by accounts, but in the washup only a trial.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
About the only time I read much into trial results is when a side gets thrashed in every trial a la the Rabbitohs last year, that seems to be an indicator that they're going to have a pretty poor season. However the odd big loss or several close losses are nothing to worry about as teams play around with combinations a lot in trials.

PB

Bench
Agree Space Monkey results arent so important, but things like only scoring 10 points against the Rabbits, would have to be a concern for Tigers fans.

Chook

First Grade
Still waiting for your ability to "read something into it" Stgillaman?

Unless you'd care to admit that your talking out your anti-rooster arse again?

Chook.