What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial Result - Dragons 34 Eels 20

Fathead

Bench
Disappointed Inu didnt have the best of games - he is well and truly under the pump and must make every post a winner.
I really hope Krisnan has been putting in over the summer holiday. He needs to hit the ground running or it will be off to the Warriors you go.
The eels will not have an expensive Inu sitting at Wentworthville all year.

bartman

Immortal
Cheers for the summary Carson.

Sounds like some promising stuff, plus some reality checks too.

WestCoastEel

Juniors
Good to hear KK did good...

Don't worry guys, Hayne, Moi Moi Hindy is a much bigger loss than Soward Cooper Morris.

And thy had many first graders:
Priddis
nightingale
Emmett
Fien
Goodwin
Lett

intersting keating setting up 2 tries...

But we got 20 points from 4 tries... WHO THE HELL was our goal kicker?

Inu missed the first two conversions, my grandma could've put over the first one. Humble kicked one and i'm unsure who kicked the other one. KK and Mateo did play well and I agree that once Robson went to dummy half we looked better.

carson

Juniors
Inu appeared to be trying too hard to be brilliant with every touch, jono just did his job and was great in defense.

I think Inu needs to go back to the basics. It didn't help his cause that he had a shocker with his goal kicking. Humble and Mortimer ended up taking over the goal kicking at the end.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&id=22579

Eels solid despite loss
Sunday, 14 February 2010

New recruit Shane Shackleton made a strong debut for the Pirtek Parramatta Eels, despite falling to the St George Illawarra Dragons 34-20 in their first trial match of the season, at Perth’s ME Bank Stadium.

The Eels went into halftime trailing the Dragons but pulled them back to just two points in the second half with the influence of Feleti Mateo, before a couple of late tries gave St George Illawarra a comfortable win.

Parramatta had chances on their own tryline before the Dragons scored first against the run of play. A break downfield by the Dragons’ halfback Ben Hornby left the Eels’ left-side defence bare, and a well-timed kick by Nathan Fien to Jason Nightingale on the next play handed Nick Emmett the chance to ground the rolling ball over the tryline. Hornby missed the conversion.

In the second quarter the Dragons used a slick passing game to pierce through the middle of the Eels’ defence with Luke Priddis sending Ricky Thorby over near the posts, Bronx Goodwin converted. A few minutes later Jason Nightingale pushed off three defenders to score, and brought the ball around near the posts for a simple conversion by Goodwin a 16-0 lead for the Dragons.

However, Parramatta were able to hit back just before halftime with a try to Jeff Robson. Kris Keating put a grubber into the in-goal and as players scrambled for the ball, Robson came through and grounded it just before the dead ball line.

A halftime speech by Parramatta Eels celebrity fan, boxer Danny Green, who ran the water for the team during the game, pushed the Eels to a better second half, making a break in the first minutes.

A change of personnel saw Feleti Mateo break through the Dragons’ line with his first touch of the ball, sending a pass to Kris Keating, who was brought down a metre from the line. Two minutes later a long pass from Keating caught the Dragons’ defence short and Etu Uaisele scored in the corner.

The Dragons sent the kick-off out on the full, giving the Eels more possession close to the line and the Eels almost scored again through Tim Mortimer before solid defence sent him over the sideline.

Poor defence on the Eels’ line let Jake Marketo in for a try, and the conversion by Goodwin pushed the Dragons’ lead back out to 14 points. It looked as though Krisnan Inu made the same mistake as the Dragons from the kick-off but the ball bounced just inside the dead ball line and gave the Eels another chance in opposition territory through a drop-out.

Five minutes later Kris Keating crossed for Parramatta, slipping straight between the Dragons’ defence after some quick passing with Feleti Mateo. Tom Humble converted to bring the score back to 22-14.

In the final quarter Robson scooted out of dummy half to score, and the conversion by Daniel Mortimer brought the gap to just two points.

However late tries to Nathan Fien and Michael Lett pushed the final score out to 34-20.

PARRAMATTA EELS 20 (Jeff Robson 2, Etu Uaisele, Kris Keating tries; Daniel Mortimer, Tom Humble goals) were defeated by ST GOERGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS 28 (Nick Emmett, Ricky Thorby, Jason Nightingale, Jake Marketo, Nathan Fien, Michael Lett tries; Bronx Goodwin 5 goals) Crowd: 9,450.

BissyB

Juniors
True True.
I still think they players we were missing are better than the ones dragons were missing.

Sounds like Mateo and KK had very strong games. So did Robson. Good to hear it.

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
Hello

I'm a long time parasite, now first time poster here.
I moved to Perth over a year ago now and the last game I went to was the Fathers Day massacre of the Broncos 68-22.

So it was great to see the mighty eels again today, I think overall the result bodes well for the year, I'm excited.

Parra started with a more inexperienced team than St George and the scoreboard reflected that. As Anderson slowly brought on the more experienced players Parra got back into the game to trail by only 2. A freak bounce from a kick led to the Dragons try that gave them an 8 point lead with time winding down, they then scored again when the game was pretty much over.

Shack was great, he made some crunching tackles early and later on made some good hard runs, excellent buy.

Humble handled it, he didn't look brilliant but didn't look out of place either.

Inu was just like last year, not a good sign. He didn't do anything wrong but just doesn't seem like the player he used to be, or could be.

Mateo looked good, he didn't play the first half but started in the second. He made a break and sent KK away with his first touch of the game, KK nearly scored. Parra scored later in that set anyway.

The guy who looks a bit like Moi Moi went good, I didn't have a program so there were some players that I had no clue about, but the Moi Moi clone played like a Moi Moi clone.:D Not as big an impact of Fui but runs straight and hard, not stopping at the line like Cayless.

With Poore, Moi Moi, Cayless, Moi Moi jnr., Hindy, Smith, Mannah and Shack our forwards look a lot better than I thought. With the dynamite backline we're going to have a ripper season, bring it on.

Edit- one other thing to look out for is our kick offs, some were like midfield bombs. They went high and come down in the middle, putting the Dragons under pressure to rush in and catch it. They may not do it in the proper comp but you never know.

Last edited:

NT_Eelsfan

Juniors
hey guys long time no speak, dont know if any of you would remember me but luckily i was in perth for the game today which also happened to be my first live game haha damn me living in darwin.

As for how the boys played pretty much what Carson said is spot on.
The forwards dropped off in the second half except for Pele who took just about every run off the kickoff and all in all had a good game, he even got mistaken for Fui Fui haha silly wa people...
KK also had a good game but lacked support when he took on the line, was very very solid in defence though and made some strong tackles as well as some try savers.
Jono Wright had a solid game and looked better in d as well as attack when he took on the line, actually tried to get around the man whereas Inu seemed to play rather lazy and just run straight at the man.
Etu was good as was Tim Mortimer both had good some good runs.
Tim Mannah also had an alright game as did Shack, when Shack was playing he made some strong runs.
Anthony Mitchell was quite quick off the play the ball but seems he may lack a bit in size but he had a pretty good game anyways.
Halves were okay but need to work on there kicks and organization, i dont know if it was Jeff or Kris or the forwards but they seemed to have to take the line on themselves a fair bit.

Thats all off the top of my head. I was pretty devo that Fui, Hindy, Burt, Oaky and Horo didn't play...Although i did meet Fui and Etu in town on friday night :crazy:

Cheers guys

NT_Eelsfan

Juniors
1. Tom Humble
2. Tim Mortimer
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Jono Wright
5. Etu Uaisele
6. Kris Keating
7. Jeff Robson
8. Tim Mannah
9. Anthony Mitchell
10. Tim Robinson
12. Tamiela Lasalo
13. Shane Shackleton

14. Dan Mortimer
15. Feleti Mateo
16. Was some late change, some young bloke
17. Pele Peletelese
18. Dom Nasso
19. Mitchell Allgood

Didnt care much for the dragons line up tbh

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
what were the team line ups?

To tell the truth I have no idea about most of the forwards but the ones I know of that started were.

1 Humble
2 ????? not sure, he didn't look great anyway.
3 Inu
4 Jono
5 Uaisele
6 KK
7 Robson

8 Mannah
9 Mitchell, I think
13 Shack

We didn't have Hayne, Hindy, Poore, Cayless, Grothe, Burt, Tahu, Smith, Moi Moi, MK. So it really was just a trial game for Anderson to check some players out.

Schiltzenberger

Juniors
1. Tom Humble
2. Tim Mortimer
3. Krisnan Inu
4. Jono Wright
5. Etu Uaisele
6. Kris Keating
7. Jeff Robson
8. Tim Mannah
9. Anthony Mitchell
10. Tim Robinson
12. Tamiela Lasalo
13. Shane Shackleton

14. Dan Mortimer
15. Feleti Mateo
16. Was some late change, some young bloke
17. Pele Peletelese
18. Dom Nasso
19. Mitchell Allgood

Didnt care much for the dragons line up tbh
You did better than me.
That Tim Mortimer doesn't look anything like Daniel, I saw his name on the list a few days ago but didn't see anyone resembling Daniel so assumed he didn't play.:oops:

EelsFan05

Bench
Just saw highlights on Foxsports News. It was concerning to see Mateo grabbing at his shoulder in obvious pain. I suppose it was good that he was able to play on, maybe. I wonder what the extent of the injury was?

Latest posts