What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trial v Eels @ Rotorua

ozbash

Referee
Auckland, New Zealand, February 8, 2011 – Brothers Sam and Steve Rapira are set to play together for the Vodafone Warriors for the first time after being selected in the club’s 22-man squad for Saturday’s NRL trial against the Parramatta Eels at Rotorua’s International Stadium.
Sam (23) and Steve (22) have previously played together for the Junior Kiwis in 2005 and also teamed up on numerous occasions for the Waicoa Bay in the old Bartercard Cup. But they’ve never played together for the Vodafone Warriors despite being together at the club before Steve had two years with the North Queensland Cowboys in 2009 and 2010.
The closest they came was in an NRL trial against Newcastle at North Harbour Stadium in 2008 when Steve was named on an enlarged interchange bench but never made it onto the field. Head coach Ivan Cleary said he expected the brothers would have time on the field together at some stage in Saturday’s trial. “It’s exciting for them. They’re really looking forward to it,” he said. The younger Rapira, who was in the club’s first NYC side in 2008, played his first match for the NRL side in last Saturday’s 22-22 draw with the Knights in Greymouth but Sam was rested for that match. Steve said having the chance to play alongside his older brother was a key factor in returning to the club.

Three sets of brothers have played together for the Vodafone Warriors in official first-grade matches in the past. Tea and Iva Ropati did so during Iva’s seven-game first-grade career in 1996-1997 as did Vinnie and Louis Anderson in 2004 (before Vinnie headed to England). Current NYC manager and 132-game Vodafone Warriors veteran Jerry Seuseu had his brother Anthony alongside him in his only NRL game against Brisbane in 2001. Ironically the Rapira brothers never ended up playing against each other in the Vodafone Warriors’ two regular season matches when Steve was with the Cowboys in 2009 and 2010.

Sam Rapira, now entering his sixth NRL season, is one of several of the Vodafone Warriors’ established NRL players named to make their first trial appearances of the year on Saturday. Joining him are winger Manu Vatuvei, centre Jerome Ropati, standoff James Maloney, hooker Aaron Heremaia and front rowers Ben Matulino and Russell Packer. “We’ve got four matches to look at different players and combinations and this week helps more in that regard,” said Cleary. “While last week’s game was very much about the occasion, there were aspects of the performance which weren’t so pleasing, especially the way we finished the game.”

With the exception of Feleti Mateo and Joel Moon (on All Stars duty in Australia), the Vodafone Warriors will again take a full squad on the road as they did in Greymouth last week. They arrive in Rotorua on Friday, holding a public training session at the International Stadium at 5.00pm followed by a signing session. A group of players will also be involved in a kids’ carnival at Puketewhero Park from 10.00am-12.00pm on Saturday.
Apart from Mateo and Moon other frontline players not named to play against the Eels are captain Simon Mannering, fullback Lance Hohaia, halfback Brett Seymour and utility Shaun Berrigan. NRL players backing up after last week’s outing are Kevin Locke, Krisnan Inu (lining up against his old club), Alehana Mara, Jacob Lillyman, Jeremy Latimore, Lewis Brown, Steve Rapira, Ukuma Ta’ai, Sione Lousi and Micheal Luck – again the captain – as well as younger players Glen Fisiiahi, Elijah Taylor, Pita Godinet, Matt Robinson and Vodafone Junior Warriors captain Ben Henry.

The trial will be Parramatta’s first of the season and also a debut outing as head coach for Kiwi coach Stephen Kearney. They’ll be without captain Nathan Hindmarsh, who’s with the NRL All Stars for their clash against the Indigenous All Stars in Robina on Saturday night. After the Rotorua trial, the Vodafone Warriors take on Queensland Cup side Burleigh in Whangarei (February 19) and Manly at North Harbour Stadium in Albany (February 26) to complete their trials programme. The NYC premiership-winning Vodafone Junior Warriors will be on the same bill as their NRL counterparts this Saturday, playing the curtain raiser against the Wellington Schoolboys. They began their campaign with a 32-20 win against the Wellington Orcas last Sunday, a match which attracted a crowd of 3000 at Porirua Park.

FULL SQUAD FOR ROTORUA TRIAL

International Stadium, Rotorua

5.00pm, Saturday, February 12

LEWIS BROWN
GLEN FISIIAHI
PITA GODINET
BEN HENRY
AARON HEREMAIA
KRISNAN INU
JEREMY LATIMORE
JACOB LILLYMAN
KEVIN LOCKE
SIONE LOUSI
MICHEAL LUCK (c)
JAMES MALONEY
ALEHANA MARA
BEN MATULINO
RUSSELL PACKER
SAM RAPIRA
STEVE RAPIRA
MATT ROBINSON
JEROME ROPATI
UKUMA TA’AI
ELIJAH TAYLOR
MANU VATUVEI

COACH: IVAN CLEARY

Last edited:

hitman82

Bench
Looks like Pita is getting a full game at 7 in this trial - good on him. Playing for a full time contract presumably.
And without knowing the full thinking process behind trials, I assume the lack of Moon means he (along with the others rested) is pretty much assured of a spot in our "probable first grade" side which will be used in the later pre season games.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Looks like Pita is getting a full game at 7 in this trial - good on him. Playing for a full time contract presumably.
And without knowing the full thinking process behind trials, I assume the lack of Moon means he (along with the others rested) is pretty much assured of a spot in our "probable first grade" side which will be used in the later pre season games.

Moon & Mateo are playing in the All Stars game. But yeah, I imagine Moon will get one of the centre spots for the start of the season.

Izz

Bench
Here's hoping he can put in a good backup performance.
Moon's off with the Indigenous All-Stars. I know, i was surprised too... :D

hitman82

Bench
I suppose Moon does look a bit indigenous. Didn't hear this until now though - good on him!!
...still pretty sure he's a certain for centre though haha.

Anyone know if
A) Isaac John is injured
B) where Shaun Johnson is at

hitman82

Bench
Cheers. Hopefully they are ready for the next one.

Taylor looks promising, and is pretty versatile from what I have seen. He was close to debuting at centre once from memory? The others I am not fussed about

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
Taylor looks the best option of the three so far
Robinson is no chance at the mo
Henry is still NYC, so has time to mature

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
Taylor looks the best option of the three so far
Robinson is no chance at the mo
Henry is still NYC, so has time to mature

devoid

Juniors
Isaac John is still recovering from his ACL injury last season, and Shaun Johnson is injured; both are doubtful to be fit by round one - so no trials either.

ozbash

Referee
oh, ok..

tanolan@xtra.co.nz

Its an e-mail...

from Dan Burton, Warriors media.

Its the same one I/we forwarded to Tim who does the news on LU.

If I had copied it from somewhere then I would have linked it, but it was sent to us..

Been down this road before..

I demand a full, public and very heartfelt apology from the Twizzman :)

ozbash

Referee
anybloodyway....

Eels name their team

Shane Shackleton to make his return in Eels' first trial

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels have announced their 20-man squad heading to New Zealand to play the Warriors in their first trial match of 2011 on Saturday night at Rotorua International Stadium, kicking off at 5.30pm NZ Time.

Eels forward Shane Shackleton makes his long-awaited return to the rugby league field after spending almost all of 2010 recovering from a horrific hamstring injury that occurred in Round 1.

New recruits Chris Walker, Paul Whatuira and Chris Hicks will play in the blue and gold for the first time while Casey McGuire plays his first game for the Eels in more than 12 years.

Coach Stephen Kearney will also be coaching the Parramatta Eels for the first time and is excited about the new faces in the squad.

“I'm looking forward to seeing the results from the structures we have put in place for the past three months,” he says.

“We have a number of new and young players who will be playing for the Club for the first time and that is the most important aspect for me.”

Pirtek Parramatta Eels trial squad v Warriors, Saturday 12 February, 5.30pm

PAKI AFU

MITCHELL ALLGOOD

RORY BRIEN

LUKE BURT

BEN FALCONE

CHRIS HICKS

JUSTIN HORO

TANIELA LASALO

JACOB LOKO

MANASE MANUOKAFOA

CASEY McGUIRE