What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trials 2021

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I see two things here:
  1. The defence coach Gentle had our players slowing the ruck down in the hope that we would not be dominated. But the referees decided to enforce the new rules and so the weight of possession went in the Eel's favour. No adjustment to that plan during the game. Game over.
  2. The players fitness program in preperation for season 2021 will end just prior to round one and our players will not be primed until round 1 or soon after. Thus the performance was not as slick and agile as it will be for round 1 or soon after. We may see the same problem raise it's head in the Charity Shield match.
So I am not concerned at all with the performance in the two trials. However, I do hope and expect that there will be a vast improvement by round 1, leading to even better performances by round 2-4.
I also imagine we will be at our best from round 5 on in 2021.

It's a cliche, but premierships are not won in March. The premiership is won after a 7 month ultra marathon. Bennett is a master at getting his teams to peak around semi-final time and I would think the first principle of training a team is that you can't flog them for seven months- but finding the right time to "taper" down from the strength and endurance stuff to the ballwork and speed stuff is what sets apart the really good High Performance and NRL coaches from the also rans.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
It's a cliche, but premierships are not won in March. The premiership is won after a 7 month ultra marathon. Bennett is a master at getting his teams to peak around semi-final time and I would think the first principle of training a team is that you can't flog them for seven months- but finding the right time to "taper" down from the strength and endurance stuff to the ballwork and speed stuff is what sets apart the really good High Performance and NRL coaches from the also rans.
He certainly is good at that but I would shocked if we didn't get pumped this weekend.

Dragon David

First Grade
He certainly is good at that but I would shocked if we didn't get pumped this weekend.
Looking at both squads for this weekend and its like chalk and cheese to me. Souths will be primed to score a lot of tries so I hope that our guys have refined their defensive methods especially on our try line.

If we don't get pumped, which is very much on the cards that we will, then we can hope for a good start to the premiership.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Looking at both squads for this weekend and its like chalk and cheese to me. Souths will be primed to score a lot of tries so I hope that our guys have refined their defensive methods especially on our try line.

If we don't get pumped, which is very much on the cards that we will, then we can hope for a good start to the premiership.
Very much so and I’m pumped for the game.