What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tribute to Smithy

fish eel

Immortal
PARRA_FAN said:
Yeah 1998, how we managed to almost get there with Schifscokse, Carige, Lovell, Kelly, Whearat, is unbelievable, but I believe we got there on the back the forwards. Dean Pay, Jarrod McCracken, Jim Dymock, Jason Smith, Nathan Cayless, and I think Hindmarsh was playing back then as well.

Throw in the dynamic Nathan Barnes.........

Hurriflatch

Referee
Vella was also around in 1998 played about 10 games all off the bench and due to that was able to win the Rookie of the Year in 1999.

Hindy did make his debut during 1998 but I think he only played a handful of games.

and finally don't knock Karl Lovell

The Colonel

Immortal
I've always had a great deal of time for Smithy and as many would attest have always defended him particularly on this board. Lovely bloke who is generally interested when he talks to you. I remember talking to him at Fan Day in 2002 and he was marvelling at how a family had travelled all the way from Port Macquarie that morning just for the couple of hours. He would always take the tinme to say hello and shake your hand when he saw you.

I'll admit that the past couple of years have been difficult with Smithy at the helm and the five year deal he signed was probably not the best option that the club ever took but I will never doubt the genuine respect he had for the club, the people he worked with and particularly the fans.

The Colonel

Immortal
Hurriflatch said:
and finally don't knock Karl Lovell

I'm disappointed Karl didn't kick on. I remember him being interviewed and being asked what his favourite position was - to this point he had been playing mostly centre. Straight off the bat he said "prop" and was 100% genuine about it too.

Latest posts