What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

True state of RL in USA

DIOGENES

Juniors
I am only a casual visitor here so feel free to shoot me down but what is the true state of RL at the moment?
The deal with the sports promoter sounds very encouraging and there seems to be a lot of hype about BUT the AMNRL announced 2 expansion teams one of which never happened and the other can't field a team after 2weeks. It looks like ending up a 5 team competition. USARL has 8 teams but 2 of the matches this week-end had a score difference of greater than 70 and the other 2 matches were also one sided. I don't think either competition is sustainable let alone the basis for expansion. Unity is urgently required.

Western_Eel

Juniors
I am only a casual visitor here so feel free to shoot me down but what is the true state of RL at the moment?
The deal with the sports promoter sounds very encouraging and there seems to be a lot of hype about BUT the AMNRL announced 2 expansion teams one of which never happened and the other can't field a team after 2weeks. It looks like ending up a 5 team competition. USARL has 8 teams but 2 of the matches this week-end had a score difference of greater than 70 and the other 2 matches were also one sided. I don't think either competition is sustainable let alone the basis for expansion. Unity is urgently required.

You cant use the score line of a game to judge weither you can expand or not because theres not much trading going on, it mainling locals playing for a local team if the have they have enough people to field another 20 teams they should do it,

The game in the USA is a amatur game they are all there playing for fun not to entertain or make money,

Also not fielding teams is very common here in aus too, and we dont just shut The game down or stop expanding

IowaRL

Juniors
If trading was allowed, you may see more teams with the sharks, knights and axemen all having reserve teams. Nova will push on, and there are the Midwest teams as well, playing 7s and 9s just to show off the game and get people interested. Grass roots has very little money here, so we do what we can with who we can get interested. You also mention one sided games, 2 of the teams are rather new, and another the winning team has lOst by big margins themselves.

Unity will come eventually, but the best way to grow league in the Us is build interest and encourage players at this stage

Lone Ranger

Juniors
One league has been around since the mid 90's, the other is in its 2nd year. I would look at what's been accomplished in that period of time and ask the newer league if unity is even an option. My guess is they are happier under this structure where the rules are not based a single and somewhat conflicted point of view.

Western_Eel

Juniors
There is no need for the two leagues to come together if anything it's a good thing it creates a bit of competition,
The good thing is they are moving forward with different approches so we will be able to see which one works better

clarency

Juniors
I wouldn't be putting USARL down on the same level as AMNRL at all.

Criticising USARL for promoting their league? That's dumb.

You are dumb.

Fatwing15

Juniors
Rugby league in the United States is a JOKE. This is how the AMNRL can get away with having games and teams that don't exist. And the USARL can post crap about Philadelphia cheerleaders on there facebook page. WTF? I want to know about players in the league. Not the F@%king cheerleaders. What happened to Kenny Britt and Apple Pope? Where is Dawn? Whats going on with the Boston teams? What up with the CROC's and Atlanta's team? is that happening?

The issue with the AMNRL and USARL is there two cars driving down the road with clowns at the wheel. They take one step forward and two steps back.

And nothing is going to change...

I can try to answer some of your questions. I have no real knowledge of the inner workings of either league, but I do play in the States and follow both leagues as much as I can. Most of the rumors or info I get are from this forum.
Some teams have player bio pages, check them out or reach out to some for real perspective. The bios on the Shark's site are of some key young players.

I think Kenny Britt is hurt (might be a rumor I heard on here). Apple played week one, not sure about the other games. 1 game is more than most would of guessed. I heard Dawn works in TX

. The Boston team's are either average (13's) or not very good (Oneida). Crocs and Atlanta couldn't field teams.

One thing I found interesting is it looks like the Fight padded their schedule with some easy games in the beginning to tune up for a Mid Summer title run. Kind of like a College football team. While the Knights are in the meat of their season with toughest stretch of games we'll see all summer. VS Wildcats, VS Bulls, @ The Sharks on a Friday night.

If the Bulls get Britt, Pope and Dawn for the playoffs they could be scary good. Did they even bring over any foreign players?

mother rucker

Juniors
I wouldn't be putting USARL down on the same level as AMNRL at all.

Criticising USARL for promoting their league? That's dumb.

You are dumb.

LMFAO!!! With such an intelligent response such as this one would think that your either the clown driving the car or the idiot riding shot gun.

USARL, Has sat back and been slapped around by the AMNRL for over a year now. All you here is talks are on the table. What table? The one that the AMNRL doesn't show up to?

The USARL select side is the New England Immortals. That's not a league select side its a regional rep side for the teams in New England. So Jacksonville must be the USARL southern rep side? I'd like to see that match up. Of course it wouldn't be in Jacksonville it would be in Philly. Because they have more hands in the USARL cookie jar then anyone else. You can tell by reading there stories on their website or Facebook.

This weekend your gonna see how good the 13's really are. I'm guessing they're gonna take all the horse's from Onida and stack the 13's. Then send Onida of for another slaughtering. Players don't want to play for teams that get beat 60-0. just saying.

The 2 best teams in the USARL are the 2 that have there stuff together better then the rest. Philly and Jacksonville. People from both leagues should take notes.

AMNRL, Well thats really all that I have to say. The only reason anyone is still riding that dying horse's, is they have control of the National team. Which, unless you play for NY or the Philly Bulls, Or a none existent Hawaiian comp OR the new American Samoa comp. You wont be selected. We'll see if come the World Cup. Loyal Apple Pope is captain of the team and if Curtis merkinz is on the team. My guess they will all be replaced by a group of players that great granny banged a GI during WWII. Heritage my white a$$. Thats another Joke.

dummy

league13

Juniors
You seem to be well informed Mother Rucker. I am inclined to agree with Clarency that you can't compare the USARL with the AMNRL.If the AMN outfit had ran their show like the USARL then there wouldn't have been a split.Remember The AMNRL hold all the cards but there will be a big change after the WORLD CUP.Easy to be critical.

Fatwing15

Juniors
Mother Rucker, I agreed with some of your post. I have a great deal of respect for all of the players that have played for the Tomahawks, but something needs to be done regarding eligibility.

I would be disappointed if the 13's took any of Oneida's players this season, but I wouldn't doubt it. Long term they should just merge, who wants to play on a team that loses by 60 every week? Speaking of that, I am surprised the Baltimore team has any players left at all, what a brutal stretch. Just let them play a best of 3 with Oneida to rap up the season.

" USARL, Has sat back and been slapped around by the AMNRL for over a year now. All you here is talks are on the table. What table? The one that the AMNRL doesn't show up to? " Not so sure about this. I would like to know exactly what the USARL is asking for in order to make a real grand final happen. I have a feeling that it's not just the USARL taking a beating at these negotiations. If that was the case then we would of seen a resolution. (not saying it would be an ideal outcome). And we have confirmation from both parties that they are in discussions.

I agree the Fight and Axemen do have their shit together and that is why they look so strong. The Knights are also in a pretty nice position.

I think the USARL is everyones favorite child right now, and hope for "change".
Realistically you have 2 clubs in the comp that both dominate on the field and seem to dominate the decision making process. For some reason I doubt that the teams from Boston and Maryland had the same decision making power as the Fight and Axemen heads.

I think the Mid teir clubs in the AMNRL all look like they are making strides in the right direction, I dont see the same progress from the mid-teir clubs from the USARL aside from the RIR.

The flaws in the AMNRL have been clearly expressed for months, so I wont harp on them.

I Think these 2 leagues are a lot more equal then many would like to believe. Especially the talent.

gyallop

Juniors
I dont get the logic of some serial posters about the USA game. Its amateur with blokes having the balls to put their hand in their pockets as volunteeers who love the game and trying to start teams and half the posters here want to condemn them for actually doing something. Both leagues seem to be trying hard but its not NFL or NBA and the blokes trying to run the leagues have full time jobs and families so you cant expect them to find the time and cash to run the leagues to a level as most seem here to unreasonably demand of them.

Would you rather a league not try to help get a new team up. Sure some will fail but no one will ever succeed until some one tries. The AMNRL cut 2 teams that didnt have numbers but instead of recognising that thats prudent every one wants to bag them for the teams not going ahead (then have them falling over and be bagged for that) and sure the USARL seems to have only 3 decent teams but the rest are having a go.

Direct your frustration at the true culprit the RLIF who have zero for the game in the USA and not the blokes having a go!

MattyCLark

Juniors
The truth is: Owner, coaches, players and our families more then anyone sacrifice to play rugby in the USA. Now, I only know of my 1st hand experience. But what I do know it the work that Drew, Spinner and their families put in to the Axemen is 24-7 365. And at the end of the season what ever money that the team didn't make in sale's they break out their check books. They don't ask us for a dime. So its not much for them to ask me to put my body on the line to make the game at home more thrilling for the fans. They did the work getting them there. I can do my part to keep them coming back.
But my family has given up alot over the years for me to play. I've quit jobs because they need me to work Saturday. My daughters 1st birthday was at the stadium last year cause we had a playoff game. Ive has EMT's take me off my kitchen floor cause I was so dehydrated my wife had to call 911. Do you want to know if all of it is worth playing an amateur sport? Your F***ing right it is. I think in that aspect we give up more then the pros. I've played with and against some NRL players. wasn't that impressed.
Shannon Hegs, He's impressive.

Who do I thank for me being able to play?
Roxie Lovett - Wife
Cambree Kaie - Daughter
Spinner Howland - Owner/friend
Drew Slover - Owner/friend

With out them I couldn't play.

IowaRL

Juniors
Gyallop and Matty, you guys are exactly right. A lot of people put a lot on the line to play, coach and run league on America. I only hope one day people can look at the crash and say "it took effort, but they made it"

Fatwing15

Juniors
The truth is: Owner, coaches, players and our families more then anyone sacrifice to play rugby in the USA. Now, I only know of my 1st hand experience. But what I do know it the work that Drew, Spinner and their families put in to the Axemen is 24-7 365. And at the end of the season what ever money that the team didn't make in sale's they break out their check books. They don't ask us for a dime. So its not much for them to ask me to put my body on the line to make the game at home more thrilling for the fans. They did the work getting them there. I can do my part to keep them coming back.
But my family has given up alot over the years for me to play. I've quit jobs because they need me to work Saturday. My daughters 1st birthday was at the stadium last year cause we had a playoff game. Ive has EMT's take me off my kitchen floor cause I was so dehydrated my wife had to call 911. Do you want to know if all of it is worth playing an amateur sport? Your F***ing right it is. I think in that aspect we give up more then the pros. I've played with and against some NRL players. wasn't that impressed.
Shannon Hegs, He's impressive.

Who do I thank for me being able to play?
Roxie Lovett - Wife
Cambree Kaie - Daughter
Spinner Howland - Owner/friend
Drew Slover - Owner/friend

With out them I couldn't play.

You guys want to know more about the players over here? Or what its like to play here? Talk to this guy, he sums up being an American rugby player pretty well.

DIOGENES

Juniors
Thanks guys, you have answered my questions. The league is surviving through the efforts of a lot of dedicated people. Sometimes we, on this side of the Pacific, get mislead by what appears on the internet and believe that things are booming. Good luck and enjoy playing the greatest game of them all. With time surviving will become prospering.