What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuiaki the Tigers' everywhere man

gong_eagle

First Grade
Tuiaki the Tigers' everywhere man

August 9, 2007

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Tuiaki-the-Tigers-everywhere-man/2007/08/09/1186530524098.html

Wests Tigers utility Taniela Tuiaki may be quiet off the field, but the Kiwi giant is making plenty of noise on it.
The 107kg powerhouse of Tongan heritage has become a key player in the Tigers push for the finals, his robust running and devastating fend accentuated by his ability to bob up in a multitude of positions.
Tigers coach Tim Sheens has named the 25-year-old on the wing for Friday night's crunch game against the Sydney Roosters at Telstra Stadium, but the tri-colours can also expect to see Tuiaki running at them in the centres, second row and front row in a bid to take advantage of his awesome power.
"It's rare that you can get a player that can fill second row, front row, wing, centre - he's real pivotal to us playing some good footy this year," Tigers skipper Brett Hodgson said.
"I don't know whether there's a player that runs as tough as him and is as hard to tackle as he is - I'm so glad he's not coming up to me at fullback."
While Hodgson may have been spared the task of trying to stop Tuiaki, the same can't be said for equally diminutive Gold Coast fullback Preston Campbell.
Twice the Titans No.1 was brushed aside as Tuiaki made his way to the tryline last Saturday night, Campbell one of four Gold Coast defenders Tuiaki left lying in his wake in a scintillating run down the touchline in the first half.
"It reminded me of the old Eric Grothe try that we always see the highlights of," said Hodgson, who is unlikely to take on the Roosters due to a corked knee.
"Palm one off and then just his leg strength to get through another two or three players is unbelievable."
It was this sort of running which saw him catch the eye of Tigers assistant coach Royce Simmons at the Pacific Nations Cup in 2004.
At the time Tuiaki was playing park football on Sydney's northern beaches with some mates - after walking out on the Manly rugby union club disillusioned with his future in the 15-man game.
"I couldn't crack first grade (at Manly)," the softly-spoken Tuiaki said.
"I don't know if the coach didn't like me or (if I was) too useless to make first grade.
"I was mostly playing second grade and third so I thought I'll get out of here and I went and played local club league with some of my mates down at North Curl Curl.
"I got picked up by Royce Simmons out at the Pacific Cup, I was playing for Tonga, and he asked me if I wanted to come sign up with the Tigers and I said `yeah why not.'
"This is my third year here at the Tigers now and I'm happy."
Not so happy are the Roosters, who will have to find a way to stop the man-mountain.
Their task hasn't been made any easier with skipper Craig Fitzgibbon to miss the match with an ankle injury, Nate Myles coming into the starting line-up in his place.
Coach Brad Fittler has also made a late change to his side, dropping winger John Williams to Premier League.
Iosia Soliola will start the game in the centres with Joel Monaghan moving onto the wing, backrower Mickey Paea the new man on the bench.
© 2007 AAP

tiger_nick

Bench
gee im glad we've got this guy signed for next year. who seriously wouldnt want him in their team?

would love to see him terroising the aussies at the end of the year.

Tom Shines

First Grade
tiger_nick said:
gee im glad we've got this guy signed for next year. who seriously wouldnt want him in their team?

Not me. I love the bloke.
Even before the bandwagon started.

Epalahame Lauaki is a real Beast. In my opinion he is the best impact foward off the bench in the NRL. Cant wait untill Sonny Fai gets a run with the Warriors ....... Geepers !

D

Deleted member 10972

This Friday, Soliola v Tuiaki.

It is going to be HUGE, can you imagine some of the collisions between those two monsters?

petetheileet

First Grade
The Mack said:
This Friday, Soliola v Tuiaki.

It is going to be HUGE, can you imagine some of the collisions between those two monsters?

Soliola???

Tuiaki will roll him!

hutch

First Grade
tiger_nick said:

he may get the chance next year at the world cup as he will be representing tonga.

westie

Bench
Top quality player. So often the big quick blokes have horrible hand, can't read in defence, are susceptible to the high ball... Tuiaki is safe as houses out wide. Best winger in the comp???

Just don't play him in the middle... he defends like a winger under the sticks leaving massive holes.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
kia ora storm said:
Soliola ???...way smaller than Tuiaki

Not really...that article says Tuiaki is 107kg (although I thought he was listed 105kg), Soliola is listed 100kg and is probably at least that much. And Soliola is a big hitter (if not actually a great defender...)

Daily Telegraph also has a piece on Chewy.

Classic stuff from Jim Dymock along the lines on how the Tongan boys can beat everyone but "The Colonel" in regards to the amount of crap junk food they are renoun for eating.

Chewy lives with Fui - and apparently the latter is the bigger KFC bandit.

the Lock8

Juniors
I think he is a good player, and breaks a lot of tackles, but the one thing that annoys me is that the refs aren't supposed to be giving penalties just because someone is kicking and squirming in atackle, yet when Tuiaki does it, he gets a penalty almost every time. No consistency again.

tiger_nick

Bench
the Lock8 said:
I think he is a good player, and breaks a lot of tackles, but the one thing that annoys me is that the refs aren't supposed to be giving penalties just because someone is kicking and squirming in atackle, yet when Tuiaki does it, he gets a penalty almost every time. No consistency again.

yeah ive noticed that, he gets a lot of penalties. however he is rarely tackled dominently and often ends up ontop of the defender, making it difficult for them to get out of the tackle. michael hancock was the same, he would struggle and struggle and get a lot of penalties from it.

the Lock8

Juniors
You're right T_N, I had forgotten about Hancock. I thought in the last few weeks though, the refs had said they weren't going to give penalties for that, and for the first week they didn't appear to, but now we've gone back to it. I shouldn't be surprised though when you consider the sham of a " Benefit of the doubt" rule.