What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuqiri Bitter

I heard that the Aussie Rugby Union have released a new world cup beer called Tuqiri Bitter...a strong taste that results in late nights and may cause havoc with meeting team obligations the next day ???..

Has anyone heard this ???.:cool:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Not having Tuquri is good anyway as there is no way he should be one of our starting wingers on form. Iaone, Shephard, and Mitchell all had better Super 14 seasons!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he is by far our best Winger but he wont be playing till the world cup

Tuqiri misses medical, Tri-Nations

By Adrian Warren
July 03, 2007

AUSTRALIA wing Lote Tuqiri will consider a lifestyle change after he was banned for the remainder of Australia's pre-Rugby World Cup Tests in the latest chapter of a turbulent year.

Tuqiri, 27, was suspended for the coming Tri-Nations Tests against South Africa and New Zealand, and fined $20,000, following his failure to attend a team medical yesterday and a subsequent recovery session.

He was breath tested at 1.30pm yesterday afternoon, at the request of team management because he looked "a bit shattered", and his reading of .05 was above the team limit.

The team disciplinary committee of coach John Connolly, manager Phil Thompson and players Scott Staniforth and Daniel Vickerman originally decided to suspend Tuqiri for one match and impose a $20,000 fine, but their decision was referred to the Australian Rugby Union.

ARU chief executive John O'Neill decided after consulting senior management to invoke the two-match suspended sentence slapped on Tuqiri after an incident in Cape Town on July 21, 2005, when he was involved in a scuffle with teammate Matt Henjak in a nightclub.

The ban marks one of the first significant decisions made by O'Neill since he commenced his second term of office last Thursday.

O'Neill said he would have sent out a bad message if he had not applied the suspended sentence.

"For consistency's sake, application of the two-match suspended sentence had to be invoked," O'Neill said.

The final financial penalty for Tuqiri is likely to be in excess of $40,000, given that he will miss two $11,500 match fees.

The 53 Test back said he had misread his diary after having "a few quiet drinks" with some teammates and friends on Sunday evening.

"It was just a bad read by me," he said.

"I didn't read my diary properly and we've got certain standards and I failed to turn up at a timed session and I thought that it was what I'd done the day before."

Connolly said he was "comfortable" with the decision to invoke the two-game suspension, and he was adamant it wouldn't disrupt Tuqiri's Rugby World Cup preparations.

Connolly said there had been no discussion about whether Tuqiri should get match fitness in the inaugural Australian Rugby Championship starting next month.

He doubted that scenario would eventuate, but he didn't rule it out totally.

The punishment handed out today added to a catalogue of woes suffered by Tuqiri this season.

In the first week of the year, he was sent home from a Wallabies training camp after failing a fitness test.

In March, he shoved New South Wales teammate Sam Norton-Knight and verbally abused him for an on-field mistake. Tuqiri later issued a public apology to his teammate.

Tuqiri was in hot water again in May, when he broadcast on his phone loudspeaker a personal conversation with Wallabies selector Michael O'Connor fabout NSW teammate Peter Hewat. Tuqiri again had to issue a public apology.

And he missed the Tests against Wales in Sydney and Brisbane when team management had the wing working on his speed ahead of the Rugby World Cup.

"It's been a tough season, but I've got to keep my head up," Tuqiri said.

Tuqiri admitted he might have to change his lifestyle.

"It's just something I will have to look at," he said.

"There are other issues, too.

"I've got time-management issues as well."

Connolly said that Mark Gerrard would replace Tuqiri against South Africa in Sydney on Saturday, with Drew Mitchell called up to the bench.

"I feel bad," Tuqiri said.

"I've let down the fans and supporters going to (Saturday's) game.

"I'm a bit sheepish, my family, letting them down as well."

Connolly emphasised that the Wallabies had a strong senior playing group and off-field culture.

O'Neill said he had every confidence in Tuqiri bouncing back.

"These circumstances are always disappointing," O'Neill said.

"We've worked very hard to get standards of behaviour on and off the field."

Another player breath tested in the camp reported a zero reading.

Tuqiri accepted full responsibility for missing the scheduled commitments, and he was philosophical about not being reminded of them by any of his teammates.

"It comes back to me," he said.

"I take full responsibility.

"It shouldn't be in someone else hands to do something for me."

Asked whether Tuqiri had signed his new contract to remain in rugby, O'Neill said "the ink may not be dry, (but) the agreement in principal is in place".

AAP

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22010743-23217,00.html

lockyno1

Post Whore
How is he our best winger ON FORM though Twiz? You telling Me Shephard, Mitchell and Iaone did not have better seasons?

Tom Shines

First Grade
Notice how Gordon Bray gets a boner everytime he touches the ball?
"Gregan, and now to... LOTE!!!!!!11!!1! now he's tackled..."

The bloke (Lote) has the best test-to-try ratio in ARU history.

Form is temporary.

As for Gerrard the bloke can be a liability at the back.

Mitchell is massively suss in defence and Iaone isn't ready yet.

JJ

Immortal
Tuquiri does seem pretty slow - Rokokoko seems tp be able to give him a few metres start and run him down with ease

lockyno1

Post Whore
skeepe said:
Agreed.

Gerrard is a far better prospect.

I'd rather Iaone or Mitchell, but I agree Tuquiri is fairly average. For what they make him out to be he is very average!

Iafeta

Referee
Tuqiri is good for bringing them through the gates, that's about it. His attitude seems contemptuous, there was no more important time for the Wallabies to show unity and fortitude and build on a commendable win, now he just seems to have upstaged his team mates in the media with weak commitment.

I agree with others, the likes of Mark Gerard are more deserving of test jerseys. Lote is massively over rated and a pure union under achiever. I don't think he wants to be there just quietly.

Wheelsy said:
Notice how Gordon Bray gets a boner everytime he touches the ball?
"Gregan, and now to... LOTE!!!!!!11!!1! now he's tackled..."

LMAO...so true !!!. Bray is the most biased rugby commentator ever anyway...

Iafeta said:
Tuqiri is good for bringing them through the gates, that's about it. His attitude seems contemptuous, there was no more important time for the Wallabies to show unity and fortitude and build on a commendable win, now he just seems to have upstaged his team mates in the media with weak commitment.

I agree with others, the likes of Mark Gerard are more deserving of test jerseys. Lote is massively over rated and a pure union under achiever. I don't think he wants to be there just quietly.

He is good in a 1 on 1 situation but has absolutely no kicking skill and is pretty much the pin up boy for Oz because of the exorbitant cash he is earning.

He has never chipped and chased and really has no asset apart from power..

skeepe

Immortal
kia ora storm said:
He has never chipped and chased and really has no asset apart from power..

Petulance is probably his strongest characteristic. I can't believe the ARU think he's worth $1.2 million a season.

rugbynotsoccer

Juniors
+very strong defence physically and vision
+good leg drive
+high ball safe
+good at returning the ball when tackled
+strength
+palm
+can hit the line hard

- lacking his confidence
- lacks speed/accelleration (lost a bit of confidence but also a lot of these runners are getting faster"
- doesn't break the line as much
- Gets hammered more often when he hits the line hard
-doesn't get that much ball in space like before
- attitiude / STOP THE f**kING WINKING if his mental state was same like the vs ENG game vs varndell after he embarassed lote he would be one of the best wingers in the world top 5.
- before he could "shuffle" faster keep the defence second guessing and set up tries.

I would select Digby
+strong physically defence / attack, great leg drive
+young and ethusiastic
+very Fast
+the best step in Australia
+breaks the line

-handling could be better
-High ball
-experience

Latest posts