What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turnaround

grandorient

Bench
Hello Broncos Fans,

What do you attribute your amazing turnaround too.

Is ir Henjak coming into some form, or the team or both. Are certain players individually lifting to another level, or indeed their former level.

The way you guys are playing at the moment, its really quite a fairy tale; from knowhere to making the finals (just about) Once there, your going to give the final series a real shakeup.

Congrats on last night and a belated congrats on the Dragons game. I hope we don't meet you too soon in the finals.

Any thoughts on your turnaround, I would indeed be interested to hear.

GO

Broncodr01d

Juniors
What has lead to our turn around?

Simple: attitude in defence. From there we've always had the attacking quality to resemble a team that will/can instill fear in to our oppostion. Attitude in defence is what we've lacked when struggling this season (apart from a couple other issues).

grandorient

Bench
Hello Bronco,

What has changed that then. Is it Henjaks influence, or the team as a whole, or has Ivan brought in some super dooper Psyche. (is that spelt correctly)

Don't forget, you guys have Israel to come back into your side, who in my humble opinion, will add heaps to an already good side.

Funny, isn't it, teams like the Broncos and Eels are currently having a huge upsurge in performance, while the Dragons are on a downward spiral. What I am trying to say is, the differences in the 3 teams from worst to best is nothing short of remarkable.

Cheers
GO

Broncos93

Juniors
Ivan came out and said it was attitude in defence. Although I think getting a lot of key players back from injury has helped us gain some confidence. It happens every year, we have the post-origin slump, then regain some form coming into the finals. I think this year though we've picked up some really good momentum which could help us shake up the finals, I'll be suprised if we don't make it to at least preliminary finals.

bfoord

Juniors
I think that dropping Michaels was the first step Henjak had to take. also i think the Raiders humiliation was a massive wakeup call to the players and i liked Henjak's move of bringing the old Broncos players back into training for a session, to tell them about what it means to be a Broncos player. since then we haven't lost a game and our attitude(especially in defence) has been 1000 times better than what it was.

whatever the reason for the turnaround i am just glad the managed to do it in time to save their season and make the finals for the 18th straight year.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Hello Bronco,

What has changed that then. Is it Henjaks influence, or the team as a whole, or has Ivan brought in some super dooper Psyche. (is that spelt correctly)

Don't forget, you guys have Israel to come back into your side, who in my humble opinion, will add heaps to an already good side.

Funny, isn't it, teams like the Broncos and Eels are currently having a huge upsurge in performance, while the Dragons are on a downward spiral. What I am trying to say is, the differences in the 3 teams from worst to best is nothing short of remarkable.

Cheers
GO

I think there was a number of influences in our resurgence. The main one as stated already is attitude in defence. Defence wins competitions. We've also been historically weak thru the middle of the ruck which we've been better at that in recent games. After the embarrassing loss to canberra a couple players on our bench like Teo had a hard look at themselves. The bench (teo sims and setu) have been playing the house down since that game.The move of taylor to a wide running forward has been a jet in our attack. The removal of Michaels who was given a lot of time to perform and has the potential but is a defensive turnstile or door mat.The old boys turning up to training and giving the boys support in their darkest moment who would discount them. They drew inspiration and understanding of the winning culture the broncos have always had from Renouf, Carne, Cann, Gee, Plath, too many to mention. Having the best players all onboard has also helped. The form of lockyer, wallace, maccullough and hunt in the key postions.Yow yeh playing himself into the right wing position. I could go on for days cause evrything has come together at the right time for us. The old adage one game at a time has been there and will be there until we go as far as we can. The finals is like a different comp altogether and after last years disappointment we just want to play the full 80 and see what can do this year.

grandorient

Bench
These are all interesting and well thought through replies.

For mine, I am sincerely pleased to see the Broncos performing at this stage of the comp and making it to the finals. (as long as you don't knock us out) Unless I'm mistaken, Ivan will be there at least until the end of 2010, or has his contract been extended? By the way, when is Israel expected back?

Must have been difficult for Ivan to come in after the master, but in my opinion he just needed a little time; perhaps he has found that already.

The final series wouldn't have been the same without the Broncos there, pleased you made it and good luck.

Also pleasing to see the Eels going so well, just a shame Souths aren't there, but you can't have everything. Now for Wayne to weave some magic and perhaps the Saints may well come good.

Cheers
GO

DeeJ

Bench
Henjak had his contract renewed a few weeks ago at the start of that losing streak. He had a one year extension and will be there till 2011.

Israel is expected back last night :p

Mr Saab

Referee
The turnaround...Steve Michaels not playing. I believe his team mates lost total confidence in him.

TD09

Juniors
The guy who I think deserves a lot of wraps is Nick Kenny. Guys like Lockyer, Hodges, Hunt, Wallace are the big names who will always get mentioned, but since the return of Nick Kenny and other factors as well such as the flogging by Canberra, the forwards have really stepped up. It is becoming more and more apparent to me that Kenny is the forward leader we need, not Clinton.

Thats not to say I don't want Clinton if he get some form back, but I just dont think he is a leader of a forward pack.

DeeJ

Bench
Clinton's form this season has been great TD09.

I agree with you that its great to see Kenny improving and improving. Next year he could have a bench spot for the Maroons.

TD09

Juniors
Clinton's form this season has been great TD09.

I agree with you that its great to see Kenny improving and improving. Next year he could have a bench spot for the Maroons.

Yes i do agree with you on Clinton improving this year, before his injury he was getting good metres per game. My point was more that Nick Kenny seems like a guy who is a good leader, even though he is very underrated by the media

DeeJ

Bench
Nick Kenny is on a Smiths NRL tazo this year, I don't think the media underrates him at all!

hellteam

First Grade
Well the Raiders game was just a massive wake up call.

But I think we got really lucky that the game straight after the Raiders loss was the Sharks. We didn't play well and a decent team might have towelled us... But winning the game got the confidence up a bit and we went on from there.

Dazzat

First Grade
I don't think Henjak was prepared for the impact of Origin on the side - even though he's been assistant coach. He didn't know how to lead the side through that time. Bennett took years to understand how to bring a team through the rep season ... and is still learning.

I think Lockyer has helped in that regard ... and bringing Tunza back (no one's mentioned that here). Not so much for his play (which has been good in short doses), but his presence in the team of so many young forwards. I think he brought a bit of fun back in the team.

Getting over Origin and bringing back Tunza ... two big contributors to the turnaround.

Over the past 4 weeks, there's a few things I've noticed change. First thing is the forwards, they're running hard, hitting hard and tackling hard. They've definitely seized control of the ruck and made it their own. The first thing is stopping the points, because if you're stopping the other team scoring all it takes is for a Yow Yeh or a Taylor to jag you a try and you're well on your way.

Secondly, Darren is attacking the line. Before the Canberra game, he was content to throw the pass from deeper and hope.

Also, we've had a big step up from the likes of Te'o, Taylor, Sims and Setu. These guys were passengers most of the year until they had the fire lit under them.

Also Thaiday put together a video of the guys and what they were doing wrong, and they all had a bit of a discussion about it and what it was to wear the shirt.

So yeah, a variety of things really.

Dazzat

First Grade
To sum up ... the team's trying as opposed to not.

That's OK ... it's the not the first time people have ceased to do anything useful when in Canberra.

grandorient

Bench
To sum up ... the team's trying as opposed to not.

That's OK ... it's the not the first time people have ceased to do anything useful when in Canberra.

Well said Dazzat, well said. :D

Thanks guys for the interesting thread. One thing I did find interesting, is you can't put it down to one or two options, its more a variety of things that have happenned to lift the team; well its good news anyway.

Well if the Saints have a form reversal this Friday and into the finals, I hope you guys don't ask me a similar question, because quite frankly, I would not have a clue. I'll say that now even before the match. A sharp form reversal after the last 3 weeks is beyond imagination. Even so, call me one eyed, but I believe the Saints can win this one against Parra.

Good luck guys and thanks.

GO

lynx000

Juniors
I hope so too GO, Saints deserve to go in with some degree of momentum after being so good all year. It will be hard for them if they have another bad loss against Parra. I can't remember too many sides going into the finals on the back of four losses and going on to win it. Plus, I would really like to see someone stop Parra :crazy: