What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turner Stuck in the Middle

da mad maori

Juniors
STEVE Turner has implored the warring Gold Coast Titans and Melbourne Storm to find a resolution, admitting their bitter and protracted fight for his services is sending him broke.

With the 2007 season kick-off just nine weeks away, Turner says he is sick of the dispute and "devastated'' at the prospect of being sidelined for at least 12 months.

The winger has resorted to training alone in a Melbourne gym as the Gold Coast and Storm attempt to thrash out an agreement that would allow Turner to remain with the 2006 grand finalists. The fiasco has now spanned 145 days.

Turner revealed he has not seen a cent from either party in the past two months, despite reports the Titans were paying the winger a salary, minus deductions for every training session he missed.

"Apparently I've been getting payments from the Gold Coast but I haven't got any payment from anyone. I'm living on what I've saved up,'' said Turner, who returned to Melbourne on Wednesday after holidaying on the Sunshine Coast.

"I've gone a couple of months without pay so I'm living off my savings, but I've spent a fair bit already and I can't live off my savings forever.

"It's been tough. To be honest, I'm sick of the whole thing but the fact is I've put myself in this situation. The hardest thing is the uncertainty. I still don't know where I stand and I just wish the clubs would come to some agreement that would allow me to stay where I am.''

The 22-year-old was a notable absentee when Melbourne players returned to Princes Park for training on Thursday.

Instead, Turner outlays up to $50 a week working out in solitude in a suburban gym, hopeful he will be cleared to play in the Storm's season opener against Wests Tigers on March 16.

"It's $10 a visit and I've been going five days a week, so it's getting expensive,'' he said.

"I don't mind training on my own but, ideally, it's not what I want. I miss the team environment and you feel like a bit of an outcast when you know the guys are back training and you're doing your own stuff in a private gym.

"At this stage, I'm assuming I'll play in the NRL this season. I don't even want to think about the legal side. I'm sure nobody, not the clubs or NRL, want to go down that path. I just want to play football again.''

At the height of the saga in October, it was suggested Turner wanted to remain in Melbourne due to personal issues relating to his partner Kate Novak.

But Turner said: "That's not an issue at all. Kate's happy to do what I want to do. She's handled it really well. There was never a hint of her keeping me here, she has said she'll support whatever decision I make.''

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron has held fresh talks with NRL boss David Gallop. But the NRL, which is refusing to register Turner's Melbourne contract, is unlikely to alter its stance.

Turner's agent, David Riolo, will meet Titans managing director Michael Searle tomorrow.
"The only way this can be resolved is by the clubs,'' NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley said. "Our position is quite clear. While there is a dispute, we have no intention of registering his contract with the Storm

SOURCE: http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,21020582-5006066,00.html

juanfarkall

Coach
da mad maori said:
"To be honest, I'm sick of the whole thing but the fact is I've put myself in this situation. ''

At last, Turner takes a step towards accepting responsibility for his actions.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I'm a bit short this month... dipping into my savings. Should be front page news. lol

Helen

Juniors
juanfarkall said:
At last, Turner takes a step towards accepting responsibility for his actions.

He also debunks the 'personal issues' reason.

At the height of the saga in October, it was suggested Turner wanted to remain in Melbourne due to personal issues relating to his partner Kate Novak.

But Turner said: "That's not an issue at all. Kate's happy to do what I want to do. She's handled it really well. There was never a hint of her keeping me here, she has said she'll support whatever decision I make.''

Helen

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Yep... add that one the list of contradictions. The Turner / Storm camp need to get their stories straight.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Turncoat, QLD cup reserve grade is where I would put him or the sidelines.

No way he would be playing first grade.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Mr Angry said:
Turncoat, QLD cup reserve grade is where I would put him or the sidelines.

No way he would be playing first grade.
I used to think that too. But the Qld Cup is a good comp and probably doesn't deserve such stuff. I think the Group 1 comp is in the Gold Coast footprint, and I'm pretty sure the Kyogle Turkeys could do with the publicity.

bender

Juniors
da mad maori said:
"Apparently I've been getting payments from the Gold Coast but I haven't got any payment from anyone. I'm living on what I've saved up,'' said Turner, who returned to Melbourne on Wednesday after holidaying on the Sunshine Coast.

"I've gone a couple of months without pay so I'm living off my savings, but I've spent a fair bit already and I can't live off my savings forever.

"It's been tough.
:lol: It must be tough, the first thing i usually do is head up to the sunshine coast for a holiday when the purse strings are a little tight:crazy:

I hope the titans stick strong and dont play him until they are really desperate or he has been in tremendous form, because he is just trying to play them for fools.

Helen

Juniors
bender said:
:lol: It must be tough, the first thing i usually do is head up to the sunshine coast for a holiday when the purse strings are a little tight:crazy:

I hope the titans stick strong and dont play him until they are really desperate or he has been in tremendous form, because he is just trying to play them for fools.

Don't we *cough*(Insert sarcasm icon) all do that... Go on holidays when we are doing it tough.

I hope the Titans stick tough as well. Not only for themselves but for other clubs as well.

Helen

bender

Juniors
Helen said:
Don't we *cough*(Insert sarcasm icon) all do that... Go on holidays when we are doing it tough.

I hope the Titans stick tough as well. Not only for themselves but for other clubs as well.

Helen

And how about the nerve of the club, he hasnt seen a cent from the titans yet... and after all the hard work he has put in for them :lol:

Ryan

Juniors
If he stays in Melbourne, who out of:-

01. Billy Slater
02. Anthony Quinn
03. Matt King
04. Greg Inglis
05. Matt Geyer

is he going to dethrone? He'll be backup again, and that's it.

His hopes are better at The Titans, but even then he may have to get passed:-

01. Richie Mathers
02. Brian Carney
03. Jake Webster
04. Matt Rogers
05. Sideshow Petersen

So he may not get a chance there either....

Eelectrica

Referee
My advice to Turner would be to call Michael Searle, apologise for whats gone on to this point and say he's ready to honour the commitment he made to the Titans.
I don't know what Searles reaction would be, but it might be a start to getting this mess cleaned up.

Latest posts