What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV Coverage...

Knightmare

Coach
Why is it that in Queensland on the ABC you can watch the Qld Cup games, yet in NSW they don't show the Premier League match of the round? I think this would be a great way to promote the second tier competition, and surely more people would watch it than Sydney Club Rugby? Being able to watch Newtown play Souths at Henson Park, for instance, would be mad.

Coastbloke

Bench
I think it's simply a contractural arrangment between the NRL and Ch9....

ABC wanted to show Premier League, but 9 vetoed it because of the amount of NRL contracted players in the comp....

So the NRL rolled over...

Interestingly, NRL contracted players also are dropped to QLD cup, but apparently not in sufficient enough number to make Ch9 cry...

Bluebag

Juniors
That was the case but no longer, I was chasing this up and contacted the ABC sports director who said they were interested in showing PL only as their policy is the states highest level of competition. They needed the league to come and ask .
I organised a petition of interest from supporters and sent it on to the league but no answer and even less action.
I also sent an email off to Matthew Rodwell in regard to getting support from the players union to push the league to get more coverage saying more money in the game is better for all his members. His reply was I wish you well but they would not help. So much for helping all members of the union it is only for the big names, so stuff them.
Send Geoff Carr an email and ask why this has not happened at all, they have the number and the contact but no action.
The quicker there is one governing body the better.
9 have no say in this otherwise Storm, broncos and Cowboys players would not be allowed to play in the QLD cup.

Jonelle

Juniors
2 True Blues said:
They seem to be in the pocess of crushing the current P/L, why would they promote it ????

Exactly and there's your answer.

Next year it will just be Jim Beam Cup and Under 21s etc and no more PL

Nfed

Juniors
Jonelle said:
Exactly and there's your answer.

Next year it will just be Jim Beam Cup and Under 21s etc and no more PL

Not true. There will still be another comp which may be called Premier League or NSW Cup or whatever. Teams like Mounties, Bulls, Windsor and Shellharbour will play bolstered with players from the NRL squads of Parra, Bulldogs, Penrith and St George. Balmain, Newtown, Norths, wests, Auckland and some NRL clubs will continue in this grade.

The Bulls intend to put a second team in the JBC and since Mounties and Shellharbour have signed a 3 year agreement with the NSWRL I would expect them to do the same.