What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV is strangling the game to death

big hit!

Bench
People seem to always forget that the last TV deal wasnt entirely about the money...

The NRL also got rid of the "first and last rights" clause that News had for another 15 years.

The next deal will be more fan friendly.

The NRL had to bend over the last time, but at least they manage to extract the maximum for whoring themselves out

what do you mean by 'fan friendly'? tv fan or attending fan?

many folks seem to want total live coverage of footy but that's what affects attendances the most.

the AFL have realised what comprehensive and live coverage of games on television is having on their attendance. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that if you give the punter the option to stay at home to watch the game as it happens, many will take it. Ch 7 have only recently (last couple of years) started broadcasting the friday night match live into Melbourne and its effect on the gate is evident.

in contrast, the NFL and EPL protect their live attendance with blackout, delayed coverage, and simultaneous kick-off policies. Most importantly, most games in the round are scheduled during the day. They seem to do ok.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
what do you mean by 'fan friendly'? tv fan or attending fan?

many folks seem to want total live coverage of footy but that's what affects attendances the most.

the AFL have realised what comprehensive and live coverage of games on television is having on their attendance. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that if you give the punter the option to stay at home to watch the game as it happens, many will take it. Ch 7 have only recently (last couple of years) started broadcasting the friday night match live into Melbourne and its effect on the gate is evident.

in contrast, the NFL and EPL protect their live attendance with blackout, delayed coverage, and simultaneous kick-off policies. Most importantly, most games in the round are scheduled during the day. They seem to do ok.

I personally would support delayed coverage of a few of the FTA games; so a 7:30 kickoff would mean an 8:30 start on tv. (as long as they werent stuffed with ads as delayed ones are now.)

It would just ad a bit to the prestige of attending a game; you get to see the match and know the result before the lazy tv watchers.
Tv can show it at the better rating hour without messing with kickoff time.
etc...

Last edited:

ram raid

Bench
Works fine for me with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and $89 p/year NRL subscription.

But yeah I agree with the OP; NRL has sold it's soul to TV. But the opposite equation could be just as bad so I don't really know what the solution is.

thorson1987

Coach
I personally would support delayed coverage of a few of the FTA games; so a 7:30 kickoff would mean an 8:30 start on tv. (as long as they werent stuffed with ads as delayed ones are now.)

It would just ad a bit to the prestige of attending a game; you get to see the match and know the result before the lazy tv watchers.
Tv can show it at the better rating hour without messing with kickoff time.
etc...

With the advent of social media, you don't need to wait for the delayed coverage to know the score.

t-ba

Post Whore
Delay the games and there'll be even more ads on FTA.

The next TV deal needs to include some kind of content quota per FTA game for advertisements and a maximum kick off delay time.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
FMD. One minute people complain about delayed games, nek minnet they want delayed kick offs to get bigger crowds. :crazy:

t-ba

Post Whore
FMD. One minute people complain about delayed games, nek minnet they want delayed kick offs to get bigger crowds. :crazy:

I don't want delayed kick offs. I want a contractual clause barring Channel 9 from delaying games excessively so they can stuff more ads in like they have been the last few weeks.

pHyR3

Juniors
I don't want delayed kick offs. I want a contractual clause barring Channel 9 from delaying games excessively so they can stuff more ads in like they have been the last few weeks.

you new around these parts??

Latest posts