TV is strangling the game to death

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Hoofhearted, Aug 31, 2014.

1. big hit!

big hit! Bench

what do you mean by 'fan friendly'? tv fan or attending fan?

many folks seem to want total live coverage of footy but that's what affects attendances the most.

the AFL have realised what comprehensive and live coverage of games on television is having on their attendance. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realise that if you give the punter the option to stay at home to watch the game as it happens, many will take it. Ch 7 have only recently (last couple of years) started broadcasting the friday night match live into Melbourne and its effect on the gate is evident.

in contrast, the NFL and EPL protect their live attendance with blackout, delayed coverage, and simultaneous kick-off policies. Most importantly, most games in the round are scheduled during the day. They seem to do ok.

2. big hit!

big hit! Bench

awesome, eh?

wish I could've attended the match instead.

3. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

I personally would support delayed coverage of a few of the FTA games; so a 7:30 kickoff would mean an 8:30 start on tv. (as long as they werent stuffed with ads as delayed ones are now.)

It would just ad a bit to the prestige of attending a game; you get to see the match and know the result before the lazy tv watchers.
    Tv can show it at the better rating hour without messing with kickoff time.
    etc...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2014
  4. ram raid

ram raid Bench

Works fine for me with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 and $89 p/year NRL subscription.

But yeah I agree with the OP; NRL has sold it's soul to TV. But the opposite equation could be just as bad so I don't really know what the solution is.

5. thorson1987

thorson1987 Coach

With the advent of social media, you don't need to wait for the delayed coverage to know the score.

6. t-ba

t-ba Immortal

Delay the games and there'll be even more ads on FTA.

The next TV deal needs to include some kind of content quota per FTA game for advertisements and a maximum kick off delay time.

7. AlwaysGreen

AlwaysGreen Immortal

FMD. One minute people complain about delayed games, nek minnet they want delayed kick offs to get bigger crowds. :crazy:

8. t-ba

t-ba Immortal

I don't want delayed kick offs. I want a contractual clause barring Channel 9 from delaying games excessively so they can stuff more ads in like they have been the last few weeks.

9. pHyR3

pHyR3 Juniors

you new around these parts??