What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV Rights Battle Continues...

Rustay

Juniors
Nine bid may bring extra $15m
By Damien Barrett
December 15, 2005

CHANNEL 9's bid to continue broadcasting AFL matches could be as much as $15 million a year higher than its rivals.

While Nine, in partnership with Foxtel and News Limited, is yet to officially submit an offer for the football rights beyond 2006, it is understood its bid will be significantly nearer the $140 million per annum asking price set by the AFL.

An alliance of Channels 7 and 10, which owns the crucial rights to bid last, has told the AFL it is prepared to spend up to $120 million a year for all eight weekly matches.

The AFL is hopeful of finalising the post-2006 TV deals next week.

Its greatest challenge is weighing the financially lucrative Nine bid against the ability of the rival consortium to televise the game at more suitable times into New South Wales and Queensland, and other key regional areas.

The Nine-Foxtel alliance is pushing for four matches on both free-to-air and pay-TV each week.

Its proposal seems dependent on the AFL agreeing to Friday night matches being broadcast in NSW and Queensland on Foxtel, as Nine has commitments to National Rugby League double-headers in the northern states on those nights.

The preference for Seven and Ten is to share five free-to-air matches a week, leaving three for pay-TV.

However, Seven and Ten have told the AFL they will broadcast all eight games if necessary.
In its first rights document sent to Channels 7 and 10 in October, the AFL requested $140 million - cash - per year for the next rights period.

The duration of the next deal is dependent on the successful bidder. Seven and Ten are pushing for a six-year commitment, in order to evenly split finals, while Nine and Foxtel are understood to be satisfied with five.

I must say that i hope that Nine wins the battle for the rights, as i seriously dislike Channel 7. I really like the way that Nine covers the footy (bar Eddie) and is definately better than having Sandy Roberts and Bruce back, with probably Joanna Griggs hosting (like everything else). Channel 10's coverage is not too bad, but seeing they sided with 7, ill still be hoping for 9 to win it.

CyberKev

Staff member
Disagree strongly...

Give me a 7 & 10 combo over the beastly Channel Kerry operation any day!

The fact that a 7 & 10 partnership would ensure ALL games were shown every week free-to-air only further reinforces this view.

9 is a bastard station and has always treated sport telecasts (outside of summer cricket) with contempt.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Disagree strongly...

For once, I agree with you strongly.

9 posessing the rights serves no purpose other than to allow McChins to promote his club at the expense of all others.

I for 1 am sick of Collingwood.

incomparable

Juniors
meltiger said:
For once, I agree with you strongly.

9 posessing the rights serves no purpose other than to allow McChins to promote his club at the expense of all others.

I for 1 am sick of Collingwood.

You sick of eddie after 4 years of magpie dribble?????
Let shope that this season is the last of it.

meltiger

First Grade
5 more years of McGuire using all coverage avenues to promote Collingwood and further it's causes. They should have been stripped of the rights the moment the Channel 9 tried to get on board in the "Poach Jonathon Brown" bid.

f**k.

The AFL truely are stupid. So much for a fair, even competition.

Cricketer

Juniors
$780,000,000 over 5 years. All 8 FTA games to 9, with a clause allowing them to sell 4 of those to either Pay TV or another FTA channel. Now it's up to 7/10 to match it. Rumour has it SBS will take the Friday night game at 7.30pm in NSW/QLD if 9 hang on.

Just watched the Press Conference on Fox Footy. Cards are pretty close to the chest due to the 14 day period for 7/10 to reply.

meltiger

First Grade
156 a year, 7/10 won't match that.

Let's just hope there's a clause written into the contract stopping employees of Channel 9 using the national broadcaster to further the causes of their particular clubs.

AFL accepts $780m rights deal

ABC said:
The AFL has accepted a television rights deal from Channel Nine worth $780 million over five years.

Kerry Packer's Publishing and Broadcasting Limited, owner of Channel Nine, has tabled an offer to show the matches from 2007.

Channels Seven and Ten have 14 days to respond to Nine's bid.

AFL chief executive officer Andrew Demetriou said the offer was a boost for the league.

"We'll have better coverage than we've ever had before," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/sport/content/200512/s1537309.htm

Razor

Coach
Cricketer said:
$780,000,000 over 5 years. All 8 FTA games to 9, with a clause allowing them to sell 4 of those to either Pay TV or another FTA channel. Now it's up to 7/10 to match it. Rumour has it SBS will take the Friday night game at 7.30pm in NSW/QLD if 9 hang on.

SBS has said that unless the Lions are playing they won't be showing any matches in QLD. It was in an interview several days ago. They pointed out that this year when Ten was showing the AFL unless the Lions were playing, the program that the SBS had on was rating higher than the match.

So it'll be on Fox Footy in QLD

Not sure about NSW.

meltiger

First Grade
Razor said:
SBS has said that unless the Lions are playing they won't be showing any matches in QLD. It was in an interview several days ago. They pointed out that this year when Ten was showing the AFL unless the Lions were playing, the program that the SBS had on was rating higher than the match.

So it'll be on Fox Footy in QLD

Not sure about NSW.

I'd say it'd be the same mate.

Down here until yesterday all reports had Fox Footy listed as the FNF broadcaster in the Northern States.

Not great, most sports fans in the Northern States would be RL fans ... Why would they watch the AFL FNF when they can also watch the NRL FNF?

meltiger

First Grade
According to reports over the last few days we are still rocking and it's not all over yet. This morning's media is repotring 7 & 10 will match the offer today.

The AFL will then find a loophole (Contra) to choose Channel 9 anyway and prepare to fight 7 & 10 in court.

chileman

Coach
meltiger said:
According to reports over the last few days we are still rocking and it's not all over yet. This morning's media is repotring 7 & 10 will match the offer today.

The AFL will then find a loophole (Contra) to choose Channel 9 anyway and prepare to fight 7 & 10 in court.
They're not just matching it by the sounds of it amigo......their offer sounds alot more although the Friday night pay tv issue still hasn't been resolved! Watch the news on channel 7 and 10 tonight, reckon they will be celebrasting even though it's not over yet.......lets see if any more punches are thrown!

meltiger

First Grade
chileman said:
They're not just matching it by the sounds of it amigo......their offer sounds alot more although the Friday night pay tv issue still hasn't been resolved! Watch the news on channel 7 and 10 tonight, reckon they will be celebrasting even though it's not over yet.......lets see if any more punches are thrown!

Don't know how much higher it will be ... People are kidding themselves if they don't think Foxtel will buy some of the games. The AFL is highly important for their marketing in the Southern States.

Will be an interesting 24 hours. The AFL should be all rights go with the 7-10 consortium. However they won't. Footy will be on Channel 9 next year.

meltiger

First Grade
Although this gives me some heart on the AFL Site....

Seven/Ten secure rights
1:40:39 PM Thu 5 January, 2006
Jason Phelan
Sportal for afl.com.au
The Seven/Ten network alliance has trumped Channel Nine in its bid to continue broadcasting AFL matches by matching Nine's $780 million offer.

Both Seven and Ten made formal announcements to the Australian Stock Exchange on Thursday stating that they had matched Nine's bid to acquire the television rights when the current agreement lapses at the end of 2006.

Channel Seven paid for the right to match any offer made by Nine in the last round of negotiations and has done so after analysing the bid put forward by the rival consortium on December 23 of last year.

A statement released by Seven executive chairman Kerry Stokes said: "We are pleased to be back in football. We have made great advances in news and public affairs, breakfast television and primetime over the past eighteen months and can’t wait for football to be back on Seven in 2007."

Executive chairman of Network Ten, Nick Falloon, said in a prepared statement: "Since acquiring the rights in 2001, AFL has become an important feature of TEN's schedule. We are excited about continuing our successful AFL relationship for seasons 2007-2011."

Seven also announced it will cease Federal Court action against Ten with regard to the negotiation process for AFL television rights.

The AFL is expected to respond later this afternoon

Go Seven go go go, get McGuire off my footy coverage!!

CyberKev

Staff member
meltiger said:
Go Seven go go go, get McGuire off my footy coverage!!

Merry (belated) Christmas, war is effin over, young man!!!

Nine has suffered a richly deserved defeat today, with the AFL announcing that networks 7 & 10 have won the rights to broadcast AFL for the years 2007-2011 (inclusive).

ALL games to be shown free-to-air!!!

Its a triumph for the game and for the fans! :thumb :C:

Rustay

Juniors
God help us if Carey and McAvaney commentate together...;-) Wont need to be Wayne "king" Carey anymore.

meltiger

First Grade
CyberKev said:
Merry (belated) Christmas, war is effin over, young man!!!

Nine has suffered a richly deserved defeat today, with the AFL announcing that networks 7 & 10 have won the rights to broadcast AFL for the years 2007-2011 (inclusive).

ALL games to be shown free-to-air!!!

Its a triumph for the game and for the fans! :thumb :C:

YES! :)

I cannot wait for Sports Tonight and vision of that North Melbourne rat who runs our game crying ;-) ;-)

Whats the feeling like in BigFooty land Kev? Positive or Negative?

(I got banned for trolling the Geelong board lol)

((Yes, Otten's finger lol))

Latest posts