What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV Rights to the WC in Australia

The more I think about it, the more I think it is a collosal f**k up from the ARL/RLIF to not have forced Nine, or whoever was broadcasting, to take ALL the games, and show them ALL live.

I mean think about it, Nine basically forced the Super Pool structure on us. I have come to like it actually, but at the very least our response should of been "ok, but you show all the games".

Instead in classic RL pissweak administration we allow the network to dictate terms to us, cherry pick the best games and then leave a pile of sh*t (i know it isn't, but that is how it will be viewed) for someone else to broadcast. At this point there are no takers. Even if it gets on foxtel, we will be left with a very small audience watching the games in pools 2 and 3.

What is the effect of this? Well instead of showcasing all the awesome progress our game has made internationally with cracking matches such as France v Fiji and Tonga v Samoa, all people will see on FTA TV (which will still make up the majority of the viewing audience around Australia) is a glorified Trinations and a truncated finals series. Most people won't see a developing nation until the semi finals! That simply isn't good enough. As I said earlier, the whole point of the WC is to encourage a rebirth of our code internationally and to finally get it into people's heads, especially league fans, that the game is played by more than 3 nations.

Bravo ARL. You've done it again.

The saddest part is, I actually have some faith in their ability to market and promote the event. I think it is going to be a big success with great games, marketing and structure. However not showcasing the other nations on FTA TV...I think it really erodes a lot of the potential progress that can be made here.

Thoughts?

linny

Juniors
International RL said:
The saddest part is, I actually have some faith in their ability to market and promote the event. I think it is going to be a big success with great games, marketing and structure. However not showcasing the other nations on FTA TV...I think it really erodes a lot of the potential progress that can be made here.

Thoughts?

Yep this is the sad reality. Any turn around they have for the terrible excuse for marketing they have attempted in the past is going to be basicly meaningless in bringing the international game forward. The most likely situation is that people are going to watch Australia perhaps lose a game in the pool matches to nz/england, then probably win in a close final. Its the same old story unfortunetely. People won't appreciate how good the Australian team is, but how far behind everyone else is. You don't get to see the players from developing countries that are actually playing in local competitions compete against the best in the world. The one chance to reveal that Rugby League is played in other places besides the east coast of australia nz and the north of england is going to fall on deaf ears.

How can you market the 2nd pool's game credibility and increase the public image of international rugby league? You can't when the ARL completely ignores one whole side of the competition in its TV negotiations. Ok so at best your going to get 10-15 thousand to a developing nations game. Alot of these people are already rugby league fans, so if they see a good spectacle, they might tell 5 friends. But from there, no wider audience gets to see 15 thousand people watching and being passionate about International Rugby League and realising that when you see Australia v NZ that you are watching an amazing sporting event that actually is the pinnacle of a wider sporting culture.

Unfortunetely this seems to be an all too familar situation for Rugby League. So much potential, yet perenially finding itself in sub-ideal situations which is usually the doing of an incompetent administration

***MH***

Bench
All the other games will be shown live and free to air on BigPondTV if that makes it any better for you

Copa

Bench
I still come across RL fans who don't know the WC is coming here to Oz.

Surely the WC falls within the SBS charter...

griff

Bench
true, we miss out on what for me was the whole point of the WC (even more important than making money for the RLIF), demonstrating the truly international nature of the sport by exposing people to nations and players not from Aus/Eng/NZ.

The small plus side of it I guess is that we get to hide the poor games and the small crowds where no-one will see them except people who are hard-core fans anyway.

griff said:
true, we miss out on what for me was the whole point of the WC (even more important than making money for the RLIF), demonstrating the truly international nature of the sport by exposing people to nations and players not from Aus/Eng/NZ.

The small plus side of it I guess is that we get to hide the poor games and the small crowds where no-one will see them except people who are hard-core fans anyway.

That's thinking small in my eyes. We shuld back the quality of matches such as Fiji v France and Samoa v Tonga. They have the potential to exite with a differing style of rugby league many NRL fans aren't used to. Plus with only 18 games we should be looking at selling out every match. I think that is easily achievable given the spread of venues.

Billythekid

First Grade
I agree 100%. I wonder if there is anyway for these games to get onto SBS? Seriously i think that would be the best option now. The ARL should be pushing hard for this. We only get this chance every 4 years so we should make the most of it.

shaggy

Juniors
its not just rugby leauge, thats the way sport is heading, with only selected matches of the last rugby union and cricket world cups and im assuming the next soccer world cup being shown on free to air tv with the rest being shown on pay tv

shaggy said:
its not just rugby leauge, thats the way sport is heading, with only selected matches of the last rugby union and cricket world cups and im assuming the next soccer world cup being shown on free to air tv with the rest being shown on pay tv

Not when it is held in our own time zone and we are hosting the bloody thing!

shaggy

Juniors
probally will when we host the next soccer and cricket world cups, channel 9 are not even showing the cricket today (tuesday) on 9 with it only being on fo

roughyedspud

Coach
nine are'nt showing the cricket?? i'm watching it now on sky sports and the nine logo is in the top corner...

Sin Bin Laden

Juniors
Will it be on Sky in England?
We should rite to the BBC NOW to make sure it is all on BBC or ITV / Channel4
The ratings would be a killer and show the 6nations up fo rthe rubish it is

Coastbloke

Bench
Sin Bin Laden said:
Will it be on Sky in England?
We should rite to the BBC NOW to make sure it is all on BBC or ITV / Channel4
The ratings would be a killer and show the 6nations up fo rthe rubish it is

This is SkySports schedule courtsey of RLWC08.com......

England v PNG Sat, 25 Oct 08 09:30 (Daylight Savings Time)
Scotland v France Sun, 26 Oct 08 06:00
Australia v NZ Sun, 26 Oct 08 08:30
Tonga v Ireland Mon, 27 Oct 08 07:30
Samoa v Tonga Fri, 31 Oct 08 07:30
Fiji v France Sat, 1 Nov 08 06:00
New Zealand v PNG Sat, 1 Nov 08 08:30
Australia v England Sun, 2 Nov 08 08:30
Scotland v Fiji Wed, 5 Nov 08 06:00
Ireland v Samoa Wed, 5 Nov 08 08:30
Pool 2 (Team 2) v Pool 2 (Team 3) Sat, 8 Nov 08 10:30
England v NZSat, 8 Nov 08 08:30
Pool 3 (Team 2) v Pool 3 (Team 3)Sun, 9 Nov 08 06:00
PNG v Australia Sun, 9 Nov 08 08:30
Semi-final Qualifier Pool 1 (Team 2) v Pool 1 (Team 3)Mon, 10 Nov 08 08:30
Semi Final (1)Sat, 15 Nov 08 08:30
Semi Final (2)Sun, 16 Nov 08 08:30
FINAL Sat, 22 Nov 08 08:30

roughyedspud

Coach
the BBC have live radio rights & tv highlights rights for the world cup, incidentally when the BBC show highlights of RL whether it be the ESL grand final or tri nations/international game they get more viewers than went it's live on sky..

ps,the BBC recently paid around £80 million for tv rights for the 6 nations for 4 years,we'll be lucky if they paid £800,000 for the world cup.

Sin Bin Laden

Juniors
Coastbloke said:
This is SkySports schedule courtsey of RLWC08.com......

England v PNG Sat, 25 Oct 08 09:30 (Daylight Savings Time)
Scotland v France Sun, 26 Oct 08 06:00
Australia v NZ Sun, 26 Oct 08 08:30
Tonga v Ireland Mon, 27 Oct 08 07:30
Samoa v Tonga Fri, 31 Oct 08 07:30
Fiji v France Sat, 1 Nov 08 06:00
New Zealand v PNG Sat, 1 Nov 08 08:30
Australia v England Sun, 2 Nov 08 08:30
Scotland v Fiji Wed, 5 Nov 08 06:00
Ireland v Samoa Wed, 5 Nov 08 08:30
Pool 2 (Team 2) v Pool 2 (Team 3) Sat, 8 Nov 08 10:30
England v NZSat, 8 Nov 08 08:30
Pool 3 (Team 2) v Pool 3 (Team 3)Sun, 9 Nov 08 06:00
PNG v Australia Sun, 9 Nov 08 08:30
Semi-final Qualifier Pool 1 (Team 2) v Pool 1 (Team 3)Mon, 10 Nov 08 08:30
Semi Final (1)Sat, 15 Nov 08 08:30
Semi Final (2)Sun, 16 Nov 08 08:30
FINAL Sat, 22 Nov 08 08:30

So noone with no sky gets to see any?
we need more publuc scholboys in RL

why is the onion bore cup on ITV but noone is interseted but we get more tv ratings and noone can watchit???????:evil: :evil:

Latest posts