What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two ANZAC Day games

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The NRL needs to outdo the AFL here and have not one but three female servicewomen do the national anthem. Preferably at least one aboriginal service woman.

They need a gay aboriginal woman from the middle east who gave birth to baby jesus on anzac day and died for our sins and breastfed weary dunlop and gave us her placenta to fashion a football to play the game.

Only then will they top the AFL.

Imagine if we could get an Adelaide and Perth side, then alternate the game between Adelaide Oval and Perth and have another game tonight.

T-Boon

Coach
They need a gay aboriginal woman from the middle east who gave birth to baby jesus on anzac day and died for our sins and gave us her placenta to fashion a football to play the game.

Only then will they top the AFL.

Every anthem in both codes for the whole round was done by a female servicewomen. These codes should get some dignity about this whole pathetic femo point scoring thing.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The NRL needs to outdo the AFL here and have not one but three female servicewomen do the national anthem. Preferably at least one aboriginal service woman.

We could play the national anthem in quarters so there can be more ads. Greater revenue and that.......

It should be Raiders vs Warriors. Capital of Aus Vs Only team from NZ. Melbourne have not earned the right to play on ANZAC day. Nobody gives a f*ck about them, even in their own city.

___

Juniors
since 2010 the NRL has had two ANZAC Day games yet one game gets ignored more often.

FTA TV coverage on all channels, newspapers and to a lesser degree the NRL talk about the ANZAC Day game in Sydney. The Melbourne game doesn't get the press it deserves.

The Sydney game is referred to as the traditional game however it's hardly traditional when it only started in 2002.

Is this typical of a Sydney centric competition and media or is the other game less important?
Tradition has to start somewhere. While Storm vs Warriors is somewhat traditional, it is not as traditional as the Dragons vs Chooks.

moffla

Bench
I don't mind us being the secondary game for the time bring. As mentioned above, we've only had our game for 9 or so years. In Melbourne, it's our biggest game of the season and brings the crowds in, that's all I care about!

PARRA_FAN

Coach
It was 5 games, namely:

Newcastle v North Qld in Newcastle (Cowboys won 26-24, crowd 15,518);
NZ Warriors v Gold Coast at Mt Smart (Titan won 32-28, crowd 15,102);
Melbourne v Manly at AAMI Park (Manly won 12-10, crowd 13,948);
Brisbane v Parramatta at Suncorp (Broncos won 28-16, crowd 34,398); and
Sydney Roostesr v St-George Illawarra (Dragons won 14-12, crowd 35,110).

That year Anzac day fell on a Saturday.

When you look at the crowd figures, it shows not great crowds for 3/5 games, in fact they would be on par with regualr games played at other times of the season. Quite frankly I don't think it "worked" that well that year, in my opinion.

No I don't think it worked either. I would've been fine with just 3. The NRL was expecting a record total crowd for one day but didn't do enough.

The Melbourne Vs Warriors game should've been kept and maybe have the Broncos game as well.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Not all of this was always true.

It's only recently FTA coverage was guaranteed.

And sure, only started in 2002, but traditions have to start somewhere. Build it and they will come...and that's exactly what has occurred.

The Melbourne game is playing catch up and building up too.

The media has always been Sydney centric. If you have a problem with it, write your local paper a letter or start a reasonable online petition to have them improve their reporting.

If you think the media is Sydney centric, go and check out the Melbourne media they are the most insular mob going.

Pommy

Coach
I kinda miss the days when you'd be at a game and over the PA you'd get score updates from the other game/s taking place at the same time.

In the early-mid 1990s, hearing someone like Penrith had taken the lead 14-12 over Manly with 10mins to go at Brookvale, while sitting on the hill at Marathon Stadium always got a decent cheer even if ('when' in those days!) the Knights were up and playing well. I suppose with mobile phones being what they are these days, even if games were played simultaneously, any ground announcement like that wouldn't be met with the same response as everyone would know already.

I used to love that in the EPL but you correctly guessed its been ruined by mobile phones.

Absolute INSANITY that they do not play the AUS V NZ test match on ANZAC DAY.

INSANITY.

I dare why they don't is that if they did, they would have problems having a "rep round" like they currently have. Anzac day is on 25 April every year, as it moves to mid-week in the next couple of years, you then would have virtually no games on the weekend before (remember City v Country is gone after this year) that game, and the clubs would be complaining about the short turn around time for their players after the game. Hence you upset your clubs, and the broadcasters who would have little if anything to broadcast.

By locking it into a weekend fixture like they have it makes it easier to schedule and have less likelihood of those complications. It also gives the non-competing players a break and a chance to "freshen" up.

Additionally when the test was played on Anzac Day, it was not gaining any traction.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I'd argue the OP's point that it lacks exposure - 22k is a very good crowd for the Storm (particularly given the rain all day on Tuesday) and 291k viewers on Fox is good.

But whilstever 9 have the rights to only 3 games a round I can't see them foregoing a Friday or Sunday match to take this one up, unless it falls on Friday itslef.

Incorrect

Coach
So in 2018 ANZAC Day will be a Wednesday.... I'm guessing, if it's 2 games again, the 2 games will signal the beginning of the Round. It will mean that you'll probably have Dragons V Storm on the Thursday night the round prior, and Roosters V Warriors on the Friday night the round prior in order to give the teams decent rest before the ANZAC Day game (2 of the teams will get a 6 day turnaround instead, as opposed to a 5 day turnaround for the other 2)

Latest posts