What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Mafia Games at Once?

Should we run more than one mafia at a time?

• Total voters

Misanthrope

Staff member
With the increasing numbers in games and the rapid fire way in which deaths wrack up, I've noticed a distinct sense of disgruntlement among players who have become obvious day #1 targets.

And I don't just mean BunniesMan. Those of us who have enjoyed success in prior games typically don't make it past day one without some real luck.

I also notice that we have a f**king huge queue of games.

With most games killing off players at a rate of knots and plenty of games queued up, I am putting it out there that we allow two games to run at a time.

Some have said they wouldn't be able to focus on two; that's fine. Don't play in both.

What do you fine folk think?

soc123_au

Staff member
I dont have a problem with it. I have had a decent run the past couple of games but it does suck being dead night one a few times in a row.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I don't want anybody to think of this as a shot against NT or Star Wars Mafia. I wouldn't have minded if a second game ran alongside Random II once it had gotten underway.

I don't think anybody out there will be overly taxed mentally by having two whole threads to check up on and two whole roles to remember.

HowHigh

Coach
I wouldn't play in 2 at once but don't see any issue if other people do
Perhaps start the second game mid game of the first? I'm not fussed either way..

Dutchy

Immortal
Perhaps play more traditional type mafias alongside the big themed games?

Or, have the fun themes. Just 16-20 people. Enforce the no posting during night phases rules and such.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I wouldn't play in 2 at once but don't see any issue if other people do
Perhaps start the second game mid game of the first? I'm not fussed either way..

I definitely think staggered starts are a good idea. You don't want to detract too much from the fanfare of day one. By midway through a game, a lot of players are dead and ready to leap into the fray.

Dutchy

Immortal
If I stop being a lazy prick.

I could have 30 roles to go by Monday arvo.

Just means You and AFS would miss out..

afinalsin666

First Grade
Rather than definite day staggers, maybe a death quota: say as soon as 12-16 are dead, then start the next game.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I like the idea of 10 - 20 player games. I favour 10 player games as they're quick and fairly intense. They also allow a second game to run alongside a bigger game.

Its easy to whip a 10-gamer up and its easy to moderate so there's no issue from my end.

afinalsin666

First Grade
I'd be keener with only deads playing the concurrent game. Would take too much from the big themes I reckon.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I'd be keener with only deads playing the concurrent game. Would take too much from the big themes I reckon.

This seems fair. When the tally of dead hits 10, a 10 manner will kick off.

Makes sense and is also a good way for those dead to 'stave off' boredom.

Dutchy

Immortal
If people are ok with running 2 large themed games at the same time (staggered start of course).

I could have DotA good to start by Monday (after the footy)

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
While I have no issue with a staggered double mafia running, I don't really see it fixing any of the meta game issues.

The same core group of players sign up, play, and take action. Is it really going to be any more fun getting killed night 1-2 twice in the same week in two separate games?

Misanthrope

Staff member
While I have no issue with a staggered double mafia running, I don't really see it fixing any of the meta game issues.

The same core group of players sign up, play, and take action. Is it really going to be any more fun getting killed night 1-2 twice in the same week in two separate games?

Doubles your chances of getting a non-shit, easily killed role.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Probably why he didn't complain too much in Random II. Sure, he was powerless, but he was also untargettable at night.

RHCP

Bench
Staggered starts seems like the best way for it to work. If each game was smaller, say 20-25 rather than 30-35, they'd also be shorter so the overlap on each wouldn't be too massive. Start one on Monday morning, by the time the second starts on Thursday afternoon there would only be very few still going in the previous game.

Wouldn't be too hard to focus on both tbh. Might also help slow down people feeling the need to end the day quickly which can cause those with lives (unlike myself) to miss out on the lynch/any day powers.

I'm not sure about more than two though. Say I get a shite role in Mafia 1, another shite one in Mafia 2 and a great one in Mafia 3, I'm going to be a lot more inclined to just let Mafia 1 & 2 roll on without me while I pay attention to Mafia 3.