What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two things we could learn off the world game...

Moffo

Referee
Tell me one good thing about golden point? Above anything it's unfair

Offside rule works in football. Tell me how it doesn't? The ten metro rule is bloody confusing

fourplay

Juniors
I LOVE golden point.

It turns what would otherwise have been boring draws into epic thrillers.

Golden point is where the elite players stand up and take control of the game. Every play is make or break football. The golden point time period is always edge of the seat finger nail biting stuff.

Eels Dude

Coach
To the golden try fans - what happens if a team scores 5 field goals, then the other team scores a try? the team that scored a try still lose?

That's precisely the reason why Gallop and the NRL have ruled out golden try. Even though that scenario is never ever in a million years going to happen... the NRL veto golden try based on the fact that the 'losing' side can potentially score more points than the 'winning' side.

Loudstrat

Coach
If anything Soccer should learn off rugby league. Golden Goal would be a perfect idea for their game. Suits it a lot better than it does League. Given how difficult it is to score a goal in the first place, a team that actually manages to put one into the nets in an extra time situation should thoroughly deserve to win the game instead of running around for another 25 minutes just in case the opposition happens to nail one back in that period.

Should be golden try, not golden point. No kicking for goal either.

Two great posts. Lets have players slog it out for 4 hours extra time - and the telecast abruptly stopped for the news. Brilliant.

That'd be like Wilt Chamberlain learning how to have sex off Stephen Hawking
Soccer is bigger therefore better? Some of those referees decisions would make Gomersall look decent ffs!

Even the NFL has changed their Overtime rule. When the first team scores, the 2nd team gets one more possession (I think thats it). It used to be basically golden point.

yeah thats bullsh*t

all because manning didnt get the ball vs san diego a couple of years ago. bitches. they should have won in regular time.

your Defense plays too. they should get the right to...

ah i cant go on anymore

Eels Dude

Coach
I'll ask again, how is golden point fair?

It wasn't introduced to be fair. It's also unfair if a side loses a game in the 79th minute because the opposition milked a penalty undeservedly and took the 2 points. It's unfair in soccer if one team is wrongly penalised in the box and the other side are gifted a penalty kick.

Personally I think if two rugby league sides are neck and neck after 80 minutes still then why shouldn't we let it end in a draw. Both teams deserve to be rewarded. Obviously in finals and origin this isn't viable as you need a winner, but in regular week to week club matches there is no need for golden anything.

But the NRL went down this road to make the game more exciting, and changing it to golden try doesn't really solve anything because the objective of golden point isn't to be 'fair'.

mattystans000

Juniors
During the regular season if teams can't be separated after 80 minutes then both teams deserve a point out of it. In finals football or Origin if teams were equal after 80 minutes I'd give them a further 10 mintues (5 minutes for each side going eachway) that would be played regardless of how many points were scored. Then and only then if teams were still equal I would use golden point.

This exact quote is entirely how I wish the games was played too. And FYI its how they do it in Superleague, where the clubs and coaches don't constantly "review" the rules with the aim of boosting ratings or covering for the shortfalls of the state of coaching and/or refereeing. (Although they have recently implemented it in the Challange Cup competion, and i'm not entirely sure on how they now decide drawn finals games, but they do allow for draws during the regular season.)

(VictoryFC addressed this as the reactionary nature of the NRL, which is entirely true. And the NRL should never have implemented golden point in the first place, let alone consider changing it to Golden Try)

And how can anyone consider a draw boring, it might not leave fans or players with the elated feeling of a win, but it is a fair result for two teams who proved to be just as good as eachother in 80 minutes of rugby league.

And if anything, the 5 minutes before fulltime where a team may be chasing a final score to force a draw, or win it with the conversion goal, or where both teams may be defending a draw, or gunning for the field goal to win it, I would say are far more exciting than having to put up with some absolutley abysmal attempts at field goals repeatedly in golden point, how is this situation even close to elite football?

And no, Golden Try is not the solution to this, as it is not a question of what the golden score is, but rather that winning by a single scoring play of any type and that ending the extra time portion of a game is entirely unfair. And you can't have one set of rules for 80 minutes and an entirely different set of rule with regards to scoring and penalties just for extra time.

Given that both teams were just as good as eachother for 80 minutes, and just like the 90 odd years before Golden Point, and the 115 years and counting in England, they both deserve a point after 80 minutes. And please, no one suggest a competition point each and an extra point for the the golden point winner, thats just silly and wrong.

(Raidersrawesome post was also a great point on the reality of the situation, however I would prefer the draw to Golden Point, but don't continually keep trying to change everything!)

I honestly just don't understand how the systems and rules rugby league has had in place for the past 115 years (for the most part) are just tossed aside at the mere suggestion of some truly stupid ideas (thinks of 11-a-side toyota cup games, golden point killing draws, and dominant/surrender killing voluntary tackle penalties, to name a few). Oh but wait, Australia just MUST do everything it possibly can to maximise channel 9's ratings, even thougfh they do a good enough job of degrading the Rugby League "product", even without the NRL constantly changing the rules of the game each and every year.

Dr.J

Juniors
Reason why Golden Try wouldn't work is that if players knew that the opposition couldn't win with a penalty goal, they would be offside the whole time, would hold players down for 10 seconds, basically obstruct scoring because the penalty wouldn't hurt them. Referees are going to struggle to send players to the bin in extra time as it would decide the game if they put a team down to 10 men.

Haynzy

First Grade
The NRL should try drop offs like in touch.
Every 2mins each team loses a player until someone scores a point :sarcasm:

Or maybe we could just have field goal shootouts, you have to win by 2... Imagine, it's Parra v Souths, Dave Taylor missed his field goal so it's 56 -55 and Fuifui is kicking for the match :lol:

mattystans000

Juniors
Or maybe we could just have field goal shootouts, you have to win by 2... Imagine, it's Parra v Souths, Dave Taylor missed his field goal so it's 56 -55 and Fuifui is kicking for the match :lol:

To see just how seriously some people take that suggestion, see this Heineken Cup Semi Final decided by a Penalty Goal Shootout. Mind you, even though I know you weren't being serious about it, I wouldn't mind seeing this being used in matches that required a result (eg. finals games), but only as the absolute final deciding factor.

Here's how they eventually decide drawn finals games in the Heineken Cup:
ERCRugby said:
1(b) Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Final
(ii) in the event of a tie at full-time in the Quarter-Finals, Semi-Finals and Final, extra time of 20 minutes (10 minutes each way) will be played.
(iii) if the result is still unresolved the winner will be decided by the following criteria:
(a) the Club which has scored the most tries in that match, including extra time.
(b) place-kick competition to determine the winner.

In Rugby League, i'd like to see (only for finals games, and origins, etc):
(i) 20mins extra time (10mins each way)
(ii) if still unresolved; 10mins golden point extra time (5mins each way)
(iii) if still unresolved; penalty goal shootout
(iv) if its a grand final; a replay to be played instead of penalty goal shootout
(v) if its a replay grand final; (i) through (iii) as normal.

But really, what are the chances of getting all the way to (iii), even Wenty finally managed to beat Newtown after 103 minutes in the NSW Cup Grand Final, remember!

Tom Shines

First Grade
Here's one:

10 minutes extra time, Golden Try.
Field goals still count, but a try ends the game.
All penalties must be kicked for touch or tapped. No goal attempts.

Quidgybo

Bench
Should be golden try, not golden point. No kicking for goal either.
Almost, not golden try specially but first to score four points - ie. a try would win it instantly but two penalty goals or one penalty and two field goals would also win it. If no one has scored four points by the end of the extra time periods then whoever is in front wins or if still a draw then call it a draw. So the normal rules of the game persist into extra time. The referee can still give penalties in front of the posts without fear of deciding the match (unless you're stupid enough to give away two in front of your posts), and teams can kick field goals to get in front but it generally doesn't win the game immediately. But if a try is scored, that's it, game over. The try is golden.

Reason why Golden Try wouldn't work is that if players knew that the opposition couldn't win with a penalty goal, they would be offside the whole time, would hold players down for 10 seconds, basically obstruct scoring because the penalty wouldn't hurt them. Referees are going to struggle to send players to the bin in extra time as it would decide the game if they put a team down to 10 men.
First to four overcomes these problems. You can still have penalty goals scored against you and lose by being behind at the end of extra time. Give two penalty goals away and it's all over anyway. What first to four does is ensure that you can only lose on a single score if it is a try. Otherwise you get the right of reply while time remains.

Leigh

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Almost, not golden try specially but first to score four points - ie. a try would win it instantly but two penalty goals or one penalty and two field goals would also win it. If no one has scored four points by the end of the extra time periods then whoever is in front wins or if still a draw then call it a draw. So the normal rules of the game persist into extra time. The referee can still give penalties in front of the posts without fear of deciding the match (unless you're stupid enough to give away two in front of your posts), and teams can kick field goals to get in front but it generally doesn't win the game immediately. But if a try is scored, that's it, game over. The try is golden.

First to four overcomes these problems. You can still have penalty goals scored against you and lose by being behind at the end of extra time. Give two penalty goals away and it's all over anyway. What first to four does is ensure that you can only lose on a single score if it is a try. Otherwise you get the right of reply while time remains.

Leigh

Meh. If you're going to do this, why not play a full extra time to begin with?

My preference:

1) Draw after 80 minutes. Never should have changed. That said, I don't have any real problem with

2) Golden point, OR extra time. Doesn't bother me. I just slightly prefer the draw.

Under no circumstances should 'golden try' be implemented. Terrible terrible idea, and I'm utterly shocked that people keep suggesting it.

Quidgybo

Bench
Under no circumstances should 'golden try' be implemented. Terrible terrible idea, and I'm utterly shocked that people keep suggesting it.
The suggestion that the only way to win would be golden try with kicks at goal being useless or banned would of course result in a totally different game. But then I wasn't suggesting Golden Try, I was suggesting first to four. Of course the effect would be that a try would be golden but the rules of the game would continue as normal with all points counting towards winning the game.

Leigh.

hellteam

First Grade
I reckon a draw should be a draw.

BUT if golden point continues, there should be no golden try. That's a stupid idea, field goals are a legitimate way of scoring points in rugby league, why should they not count? It's exciting to get to see players use drop kicking skills, which are pretty rare to see actually.

One change I would like to see though is to give a losing team some points in a match that went to golden point. This could be done by allocating points for:

3 points - WIN
2 points - GOLDEN POINT WIN
1 point - GOLDEN POINT LOSS
0 points - LOSS

I don't like that sides play extra time then get no reward out of it. By doing what I said above, 3 points are decided every game, and teams get rewarded for at least drawing with the other team after 80 mins.

simmo1

First Grade
I would have 10min extra time each way. If its still drawn, then keep playing 10min periods until someone comes out in front. OR keep golden point as it is with a team still gaining a competition point for a golden point loss.

With regards to the offside rule - I didn't realise there was a problem with how it is at the moment.

Moffo

Referee
nothing lately but there have been some howlers not given in the past. could be a better rule put in there

Latest posts