What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrell Sloan

Changa

Juniors
Matra of the club in the coming years should be to buy experience forwards and blood local backs. If you look at the current talent pool, it seems to be going that way which is positive.

Our issue looks to be recruitment. We're one quality middle and one edge forward away from turning things around imo. Even if Ford and Kerr and the likes improve dramatically in 21', we still won't match Easts, Canberra or Storm packs without bringing in some grunt.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Matra of the club in the coming years should be to buy experience forwards and blood local backs. If you look at the current talent pool, it seems to be going that way which is positive.

Our issue looks to be recruitment. We're one quality middle and one edge forward away from turning things around imo. Even if Ford and Kerr and the likes improve dramatically in 21', we still won't match Easts, Canberra or Storm packs without bringing in some grunt.
We need to get Angus Crichton still young enough to around when this young crop come through and will attract talent.

possm

Coach

Middle Forward = De Belin
Edge Forward = Bird

So if De Belin becomes available and Bird becomes match fit, we are there and should make the top 4.

I expect the likes of Vaughan, Hunt and Norman to improve drematically under Hook.

I also expect our fast, enthusiastic young outside backs to seize their chances in attack and defend resolutely. No more hogging the ball or throwing wayward passes. No more running up out of the line in defence only to be grabbing fresh air.

The difference that McCullough will make to our game management will be the base of our success. He will control the game around the ruck.

Dufty is the player I will be keeping my eye on. Let's hope he starts the season full of confidence and is stout in defence.

George Dragon

Juniors

‘I want to break the cycle’: The story driving Dragons debutant fullback Tyrell Sloan​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

The first person Tyrell Sloan rang after learning he would be making his NRL debut was his grandmother Colleen.
“She is my rock. She raised me ever since I was two months old,” Tyrell said.

“She had to fight [for custody] through DOCS [Department of Community Services, now Family and Community Services] because my parents were in and out of jail. [My parents] are not really in the picture. I just don’t have that connection with [my mum] that I’d like. Dad’s still in and out of jail.
“I call my Nan ‘Ma’. She’s played both those roles, it’s just crazy what she’s done for me.
Advertisement

“Honestly, I don’t know how she did it. Obviously now I get paid with footy and I still struggle a bit with the money and I get more than she did.
St George Illawarra debutant Tyrell Sloan with his grandmother, Colleen.

“I just leave [my parents] alone and try to do it for my Nan and my brother.”
Some St George Illawarra fans feel aggrieved after Matt Dufty was informed he isn’t part of the club’s plans moving forward. They will get their first look at the succession strategy when Sloan makes his anticipated NRL debut at fullback against Canberra on Saturday.
It has not been an easy journey. The 19-year-old has grown up without his parents, Colleen taking their roles with some assistance from big brother Ashley. They will be at the forefront of his thoughts when he fulfils a lifelong dream at WIN Stadium on Saturday . Sloan sees it as a chance to honour them and provide inspiration to other Indigenous youngsters emerging from challenging childhoods.
Advertisement

“Growing up, my dad was 16 when he and my mum had me,” Sloan told the Herald. ”Just young and dumb, they were involved with drugs and stuff.
“Dad just went back in [to jail]. I just let them do their thing, they had their chance to be around me if they wanted to. I just leave them alone and try to do it for my Nan and my brother.
“Me, I’ve never had a sip of alcohol or drugs because I’ve seen what it does to people in my circle, those who have been around me.
“That’s one of the reasons why I don’t do any of that. I want to be a role model for the next generation, for the younger kids coming through.
“I’ve only turned 19. I’ve learnt to grow up a lot quicker than most other people my age because I’ve seen a lot of stuff that a lot of kids haven’t seen.
Advertisement

“Me not having those silver spoons that some kids do have – not that it’s any problem – but it’s the way I’ve been raised.
“Even with my [four] little brothers or sisters, whenever it is pay week I always take them out and make sure they’re sweet with everything like school clothes and that.
St George Illawarra fullback Tyrell Sloan is ready to make his mark.

“I just want to get them out of that environment because I was raised in Koonawarra, which is in Dapto. It’s not the best place, I guess, for people to make it out of.
“If I can get them out of that environment and support them, be that older brother, that father figure or strong Indigenous person that I never had, I always try to give back.”

Dragons officials have had their eye on Sloan for some time. The Dapto Canaries junior was part of the 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning team alongside current Dragons Jayden Sullivan and best mate Talatau Junior Amone.
Sloan will be given time to grow into his new role in every sense. His quest to bulk up beyond his current 84-kilogram frame was hindered by a broken jaw suffered early in the year, preventing him from eating solids for several weeks.
“They put some pins in me because it was my chin and my jaw, I broke it in two places,” he said.
Larger obstacles have been overcome to make him the man and player he is now. Watch Sloan’s highlights video on Youtube and it’s clear why there are already comparisons with Sharks great David Peachey.
“I’ve never watched any of his games, I was too young, but I watched his highlights lately,” he said. “I do see a bit of resemblance, but I’m nowhere near as good as him.
Advertisement

“I love the way he plays; that long, lanky Aboriginal boy. I think that’s why there are comparisons.”
Sloan’s nickname, however, comes from his admiration of, and friendship with, Josh Addo-Carr. Sloan met the Storm star at a Koori knockout carnival and the pair have kept in touch.
“He’s always been open arms, helping me out,” Sloan said. “The boys are calling me ‘Foxy’ in training.”
Like Peachey and Addo-Carr, Sloan hopes that he too can one day be an inspiration to Indigenous youth.

“I’m a Wiradjuri boy, the family is from out west, Condobolin way,” he said.
“That’s what keeps me going, I want to do it for the next generation. I want to make it out of a place where not many people make it out of.
“I want to make a name; my last name is not one of the best names about good things happening. I just want to break that cycle and be a role model for the next generation coming up.”

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade

‘I want to break the cycle’: The story driving Dragons debutant fullback Tyrell Sloan​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

The first person Tyrell Sloan rang after learning he would be making his NRL debut was his grandmother Colleen.
https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/javascript:void(0);

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/javascript:void(0);
“She had to fight [for custody] through DOCS [Department of Community Services, now Family and Community Services] because my parents were in and out of jail. [My parents] are not really in the picture. I just don’t have that connection with [my mum] that I’d like. Dad’s still in and out of jail.
“I call my Nan ‘Ma’. She’s played both those roles, it’s just crazy what she’s done for me.
Advertisement

“Honestly, I don’t know how she did it. Obviously now I get paid with footy and I still struggle a bit with the money and I get more than she did.

Some St George Illawarra fans feel aggrieved after Matt Dufty was informed he isn’t part of the club’s plans moving forward. They will get their first look at the succession strategy when Sloan makes his anticipated NRL debut at fullback against Canberra on Saturday.
It has not been an easy journey. The 19-year-old has grown up without his parents, Colleen taking their roles with some assistance from big brother Ashley. They will be at the forefront of his thoughts when he fulfils a lifelong dream at WIN Stadium on Saturday . Sloan sees it as a chance to honour them and provide inspiration to other Indigenous youngsters emerging from challenging childhoods.
Advertisement

“Growing up, my dad was 16 when he and my mum had me,” Sloan told the Herald. ”Just young and dumb, they were involved with drugs and stuff.
“Dad just went back in [to jail]. I just let them do their thing, they had their chance to be around me if they wanted to. I just leave them alone and try to do it for my Nan and my brother.
“Me, I’ve never had a sip of alcohol or drugs because I’ve seen what it does to people in my circle, those who have been around me.
“That’s one of the reasons why I don’t do any of that. I want to be a role model for the next generation, for the younger kids coming through.
“I’ve only turned 19. I’ve learnt to grow up a lot quicker than most other people my age because I’ve seen a lot of stuff that a lot of kids haven’t seen.
Advertisement

“Me not having those silver spoons that some kids do have – not that it’s any problem – but it’s the way I’ve been raised.
“Even with my [four] little brothers or sisters, whenever it is pay week I always take them out and make sure they’re sweet with everything like school clothes and that.

“I just want to get them out of that environment because I was raised in Koonawarra, which is in Dapto. It’s not the best place, I guess, for people to make it out of.
“If I can get them out of that environment and support them, be that older brother, that father figure or strong Indigenous person that I never had, I always try to give back.”

Dragons officials have had their eye on Sloan for some time. The Dapto Canaries junior was part of the 2019 SG Ball premiership-winning team alongside current Dragons Jayden Sullivan and best mate Talatau Junior Amone.
Sloan will be given time to grow into his new role in every sense. His quest to bulk up beyond his current 84-kilogram frame was hindered by a broken jaw suffered early in the year, preventing him from eating solids for several weeks.
“They put some pins in me because it was my chin and my jaw, I broke it in two places,” he said.
Larger obstacles have been overcome to make him the man and player he is now. Watch Sloan’s highlights video on Youtube and it’s clear why there are already comparisons with Sharks great David Peachey.
“I’ve never watched any of his games, I was too young, but I watched his highlights lately,” he said. “I do see a bit of resemblance, but I’m nowhere near as good as him.
Advertisement

“I love the way he plays; that long, lanky Aboriginal boy. I think that’s why there are comparisons.”
Sloan’s nickname, however, comes from his admiration of, and friendship with, Josh Addo-Carr. Sloan met the Storm star at a Koori knockout carnival and the pair have kept in touch.
“He’s always been open arms, helping me out,” Sloan said. “The boys are calling me ‘Foxy’ in training.”
Like Peachey and Addo-Carr, Sloan hopes that he too can one day be an inspiration to Indigenous youth.

“That’s what keeps me going, I want to do it for the next generation. I want to make it out of a place where not many people make it out of.
“I want to make a name; my last name is not one of the best names about good things happening. I just want to break that cycle and be a role model for the next generation coming up.”

Such a great story to read. It could end up being a movie blockbuster. If he shows that much determination and effort on the field as he has throughout his life in unpleasant circumstances, he will kill it in the NRL - hopefully long term with us and not a Saab snub. Thank goodness his Nan, Colleen, has been such a wonderful lady to help him grow up with the right attitude to life and thinking of his generation and what he wants to achieve for the new generation.

Sloan, Sullivan, Amone, Schiller and several young forwards will be our future.

I honestly hope that he acquits himself to the best of his ability today and we show due respect no matter what the result. All of our younger brigade of players need time to be first grade savvy and this will ensure their futures are taken care of.

mickeylane

Bench
Would be nice to go at Crichton and Pangai Junior which would cost around $1.5m a season to add to Debellin, Sims, Mcguire, Molo, Vaughan, Fuimaono...still need a 6 though as I think Bud is more a 7 than a 6.. so maybe a Mbye for 2 years w Amone as his understudy would be feasible and w Hunt maybe he moves to 9 in his final year so Bud moves to 7 in 2023... so all up we need to have $2M spare in the cap somewhere to make these types of moves in 2022.....def $1.2M available w Norman, Pereira and Dufty gone..

getsmarty

Immortal

"I want to break the cycle’: The story driving Dragons debutant fullback Tyrell Sloan​

Adrian Proszenko

By Adrian Proszenko

June 19, 2021 — 5.00am

Leave a comment

P.S Thankyou @Efresh

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
Go get them young man ..... Hope he comes through no injuries and has a sound game ..... Need to give the kid a chance to settle in , mistakes will happen but will be a learning platform for him ..... Hoping he remains at fullback if thats were he is playing for the rest of the season. .... Then ready for next year .....

Great debut given the conditions

Tremendous potential

Didn’t drop his head at any time.

Was constantly backing up waiting for an offload.

Very happy to see him chip and chase.

His tackle on Chriss who is very robust was a joy to watch.

Had speed and appears elusive.

Welcome to first grade Tyrell!

mickeylane

Bench
Great debut given the conditions

Tremendous potential

Didn’t drop his head at any time.

Was constantly backing up waiting for an offload.

Very happy to see him chip and chase.

His tackle on Chriss who is very robust was a joy to watch.

Had speed and appears elusive.

Welcome to first grade Tyrell!
He’s rough around the edges but he has something about him - tries things and has natural ability in abundance plus he instinctively hunts through the middle ..