What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone May

Iamback

Coach
I do think May needs to go.

Possibly.

The issue for me is why now? They could of done it when he was charged yet have re-signed him twice. They also signed a wife basher in Tetevano in that time too.

Teams are selective with their outrage. We are talking about sacking a guy for an offence almost 4 years ago.

The_Frog

First Grade
Veryone makes mistakes even big ones. It's the fact he's displayed a lack of learning and growth that is the issue for the game. The optics are a disaster for a business completely reliant on public opinion.
The last sentence was all you needed to say. It's all about "optics". Our game is owned and controlled by media interests, which mould public opinion to the point of determining our Government. Whatever is in their interests is in the game's interests. I hope the club realises what it's doing and why, and pays him out without him having to fight for it, and thereby creating a further media circus.

Last edited:

BxTom

Bench
And what about the Storm players snorting coke? Did the NRL ask for a blood test, are they being thrown out of the game or does the NRL only punish
players that put up posts in poor taste?

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
Possibly.

The issue for me is why now? They could of done it when he was charged yet have re-signed him twice. They also signed a wife basher in Tetevano in that time too.

Teams are selective with their outrage. We are talking about sacking a guy for an offence almost 4 years ago.
They're not sacking him for that. They're sacking him for posting some song lyrics that he felt had some relevance to his situation, on social media.

Iamback

Coach
They're not sacking him for that. They're sacking him for posting some song lyrics that he felt had some relevance to his situation, on social media.

So what changed? Did they put certain clauses in?

No one has changed on the board. Coach is same the majority of the playing group are fine.

Said sponsor that had issues signed on knowing he was in the team.

I get wanting to rid the team of him but the time was 2 years ago.

Iamback

Coach
And what about the Storm players snorting come? Did the NRL ask for a blood test, are they being thrown out of the game or does the NRL only punidh players that put up posts in poor taste?

Reports are the NRL didn't even ask the players about the posts. Cleary and Crichton just got fined because it was a bad look. That is all they care about what looks good but without getting their hands dirty

The_Frog

First Grade
And what about the Storm players snorting coke? Did the NRL ask for a blood test, are they being thrown out of the game or does the NRL only punish
players that put up posts in poor taste?
They couldn't prove it. Coke, like alcohol, leaves the body very quickly. Those players were also sanctioned for "bad optics", as was Mitchell Pearce with the dog, for that matter. All for displaying the game in a poor light, or as they say not in accordance with the game's values (this makes me laugh every time). The game's values are that they don't like bad media.

Last edited:

GongPanther

Referee
If May is Cleary's best friend, why is May doing no favours to Cleary, his dad, and the club he is supposed to represent? Like I mentioned last week, IMHO, May is a bad influence on Nathan. And I think the board should seriously consider in moving him on, for everyone's sake. For Nathan's, the club's, the fan's, the sponsors...and at least, less ammunition for the press.

DinkyDi

Juniors
Possibly.

Trust me, I was outraged by Tetevano signing. The thing is, May's tweet could have been taken two ways. He should have just shut up.

Pomoz

Bench
And what about the Storm players snorting come? Did the NRL ask for a blood test, are they being thrown out of the game or does the NRL only punidh players that put up posts in poor taste?
This. The fuss over May's post is ridiculous. Just ridiculous. Meanwhile, the Storm were allegedly snorting illegal substances (I have no moral issue with this, I think our drug laws are futile so my issue is not the offence itself), and hardly anything is said. The Storm players cradled the trophy like it was a baby last year and yet we get lambasted in the press for the pram. We are arrogant. The Storm? Nothing to see here.

The picture of the court case was an ill advised inclusion in an otherwise inoffensive post. May should publicly apologise to the woman for the pain this may have caused. His silence over the matter has not helped at all. He could have deflated the whole thing by saying "I am not a victim, I made a mistake and regret the hurt I caused to the victim. This post was about my journey and the people who didn't believe in me".

He can still do that. As somebody already said, nature abhors a vacuum and the media have rushed into fill it with all manner of poisonous interpretations. They certainly haven't considered how this affects the victim of the filming crime and happily dragged the whole thing up again. How does their speculative (because they don't know what May meant in his post, they guessed) media blitz help her?

The Realist

Juniors
Putting aside NRL and club politics, marketing, image etc. as a player I hope he doesn't go. He will definitely be a cheapie, one of those 180-250K players. Give how flexible he is as a player at that price he is a bargain. We already seem to have enough salary cap issues without throwing away bargain players like this.

Signing him up year by year is also smart. As soon as a more promising utility comes along we can replace Tyrone.

The_Frog

First Grade
If May is Cleary's best friend, why is May doing no favours to Cleary, his dad, and the club he is supposed to represent? Like I mentioned last week, IMHO, May is a bad influence on Nathan. And I think the board should seriously consider in moving him on, for everyone's sake. For Nathan's, the club's, the fan's, the sponsors...and at least, less ammunition for the press.
May put his head up to be kicked in support of Nathan. Nathan must be feeling like a piece of shit right now, and rightly so too. I hope he looks after his friend.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Sounds pretty good for us. Not so great for May.

I have read this a few times Alice (so not having a go at you) but the suggestion it is in May’s best interest to slink off and hide for a few years out of the public eye seems really odd to me. The guy is a professional rugby league player (well paid too) playing in the Premiership winning side that contains a lot of his mates.

The thought of May heading off to the bush/park might be good for us and the way we feel about the Panthers, but let’s not pretend we would be doing May a favour.

I've thought long and hard about this ColdWet. He needs to get out of the public eye and do it now. The constant bile and abuse that he must be coping is probably huge.
Therefore to play park footy for 12months, hold a 'proper job' with it's ensuring wage and demands is the best way forward for him, (and to be honest) probably the only way.
Personally I have real fear for his future unless something like this occurs. Needs to stay off social media, and basically fade into the background till the heat dies down.

DinkyDi

Juniors
I've thought long and hard about this ColdWet. He needs to get out of the public eye and do it now. The constant bile and abuse that he must be coping is probably huge.
Therefore to play park footy for 12months, hold a 'proper job' with it's ensuring wage and demands is the best way forward for him, (and to be honest) probably the only way.
Personally I have real fear for his future unless something like this occurs. Needs to stay off social media, and basically fade into the background till the heat dies down.

He also needs to grow up.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Bringing up another teams dickheads as a reason to ignore our teams dickhead is a really poor argument. It's like not disciplining your own child because other kids have done something bad as well...

Look, this is going to go around in circles with everyone having their own opinions and interpretations. IMO May is a dick and I'm sure we'll be just fine, if not better, without him (if it goes that way).

The_Frog

First Grade
I'm thinking he might get targeted in park football. The only good thing about media frenzy is it dies down quickly and moves onto something else.

age.s

First Grade
Bringing up another teams dickheads as a reason to ignore our teams dickhead is a really poor argument. It's like not disciplining your own child because other kids have done something bad as well...

Look, this is going to go around in circles with everyone having their own opinions and interpretations. IMO May is a dick and I'm sure we'll be just fine, if not better, without him (if it goes that way).

It's not about pointing at other clubs dickheads, it's an objection relating to the level of control the media has over the game. It's a much bigger issue than whether May is "showing contrition" or whether we'll be able to land a better player at 14 next year. It's also a bigger problem than how it pertains to a Rugby League competition, albeit one that serves to trap most people in the fake political divide.

Still the best advice about all this crap was @Smug Panther's all those pages ago. Give them nothing. Don't click any links. Don't share any links. Don't buy any papers. Don't watch any programming other than game day. Encourage others to do as you do.

Latest posts