What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tyrone Peachey

lets not forget we lost Bakuya how many years did we develop him for through his injuries then we lose him end of last year.

So in basically 12 months we have lost Peachey, Bakuya, Lichaa all players that are attacking players and are better then the incumbents we have.

Bakuya could have played centre this year and been more value then Ayshford, or he plays back row
Peachey over Prior or Holdsworth
Lichaa over De Gois

Big Mick

Referee
Gould publishes an article about over paid juniors but signed Peachey and the young Souths hooker.

Except the fact both Peachey and Api have played first grade.

Gus is talking about guys in Under 20's who haven't sniffed a first grade game.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
You cannot keep them all, I still wish Tyrone all the best and think he will be good player.

I would have loved to have kept him and Lichaa, but hey others want to pay overs to invest, fair game.

For mine I would prefer Peachey to others in our side, but as Gould says unsustainable prices are being paid, his team joins the fun.

Big Mick

Referee
You cannot keep them all, I still wish Tyrone all the best and think he will be good player.

I would have loved to have kept him and Lichaa, but hey others want to pay overs to invest, fair game.

For mine I would prefer Peachey to others in our side, but as Gould says unsustainable prices are being paid, his team joins the fun.

What makes u think an unsustainable price was paid for Peachey?

Whatever makes you feel better...but it wasn't.

Penrith have already lost 3-4 good young prospects for next season and a few others are leaving too.

Nature of the business. As you say...can't keep them all.

But think Gus is talking about guys graduating from SG ball and playing NYC and demanding big $ based on potential. i.e. a Lichaa getting $300k for instance.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
What makes u think an unsustainable price was paid for Peachey?
We did not match it.

As said, sometimes you make an investment, both Peachey an Lichaa will prove worth it IMO.

I am simply agreeing with Gus, clubs are paying overs, for what they have actually done.

This overall is unsustainable.

What will make me feel better is seeing Tyrone and Michael succeed prove the investment worth it and play great against QLD.

We could not afford it, glad someone toOk the risk.

cheese

Bench
300k is the equiv of 200k in 09

There would have been countess hacks in our squad earning more than that at that time.

It's neither overs, nor unsustainable. Its the market price for promising juniours. If brown & holmes debut & perform semi decent, its the price we're gonna have to pay to keep them.

Lets hope they don't go too well, because then we'll be paying milford & tedesco type salaries.

Anyway, back to hibernation.

newman

First Grade
There is one important factor that is being left out of this discussion. The sharks never had the opportunity to match penriths counter offer.

We gave Peach a sensible offer. Penrith upped it, he signed there, thank you ball boys, thank you linesmen. No more discussion. End of the section. The club wanted to keep him. They wanted to at least match the pennies offer.

Griffoshark66

First Grade
If that's true, and I'm sure it is, it is a sad sign for our club. I'm not close to the club, but I don't feel that the culture there is healthy. I knew a few blokes who went through in the early 90's and they were busting their balls to play first grade for Cronulla. They didn't see it as a launching pad to other clubs, but they f**king loved being part of the system and wanted to play for US. Do the 20's have that desire or do they just want to f**k off and play for the most coin? I know the game has changed, but surely there are still some of them who want to be sharks for life.

Big Mick

Referee
Didnt know that Newman - maybe our offer was way low & he was pissed with us?

ding ding ding.

Penrith were guilty of the same thing when you'd signed Wade Graham.

We'd offered something stupid and then Sharks came in with pretty much double that. If you are the kid what you meant to do? lol.

Penrith offered Graham something around $150k at the time after a handful of FG games. It was a stupid low-balled offer that had a spiral effect because if meant the backlash of Leary was SO bad....that he then signed Coote, Jennings, Grant, Lewis, McKendry on stupid contracts to save his ass....which ultimately set Penrith back 5 years.

From what I heard the Sharks offer for Peachey was low-balled given the Salary Cap total and the games he had played and Penrith came in with some on top and he took it. People will come here and say "no it wasn't it was a fair offer blah blah" but I'll trust my source on this...can take it or leave it...it's fine.

Having said that, IMO the Sharks will be fine. They have a good core. I have a big soft spot for Cronulla as I played Junior Footy there and have a lot of mates there. The team just need to get healthy and they've moved to lock in a few of their brightest prospects so it is good times ahead at Cronulla IMO...just need to get Flanagan back because Sharp isn't a coach's asshole.

Last edited:

Since 73

First Grade
There is one important factor that is being left out of this discussion. The sharks never had the opportunity to match penriths counter offer.

We gave Peach a sensible offer. Penrith upped it, he signed there, thank you ball boys, thank you linesmen. No more discussion. End of the section. The club wanted to keep him. They wanted to at least match the pennies offer.

I totally believe that.
As l said before this kid wanted to play first grade.

It wasnt about money.

He's not an idiot - he's not going to play for nothing but at the Pennies meeting Gus told him what he knew....... He is a first grader and will play there in 2014.

Why would he talk to Flanno again? He knew the moron wouldnt start him.

Game over.

Big Mick

Referee
I totally believe that.
As l said before this kid wanted to play first grade.

It wasnt about money.

He's not an idiot - he's not going to play for nothing but at the Pennies meeting Gus told him what he knew....... He is a first grader and will play there in 2014.

Why would he talk to Flanno again? He knew the moron wouldnt start him.

Game over.

Yep exactly.

Just like Graham will never speak with Elliot again pretty much.

Guy just refused to play him.