What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U20's Today

God-King Dean

Immortal
How funny was it when Hamilton (the puncy Bulldog halfback with the worst ginger haircut) bumped into the Dragons player for knocking on from the kickoff - then does the exact same thing 3 minutes later.

They are young one of the youngest squads in the comp and honestly the Dragons have never shown alot of interest in the comp period.

Phil9496

Juniors
Surely they should have Drew Hutchison leading them around the park. At only 19 he has a few years to develop before Benji and Widdop hang up the boots. Let Shannon Crook lead the Cutters and Hutch to lead the 20's. I can see the want to blood Hutch but not the need just yet. But they are a very young side and lost some great quality from last year due to age. But get Hutch back to show and to learn a bit more of the leadership qualities needed by good half backs.
Good luck for the rest of the year boys.

TheRev

First Grade
Was a disappointing game, we were the better team for about 60mins (12 all).. there was nothing in it mostly.. some good talent out there, Host, Kavanagh, Sele I thought all played well up front.. laid a good platform... Not really sure why we didnt put more points on with the good ball control early we had..

I was a bit bummed by Dufty, I think I was expecting him to tear the game apart like he did last year, but he was being tackled relatively easily, and hes a tiny bloke.. I mean hes still elusive but he didnt look better than anyone else out there if you get me..

Also I am still waiting to see big things from our other future first-grade centre in Izaac Thompson, im not making a fair estimate because ive only seen 3 games this year and some last year, but ive never actually seen him do something special, despite his big frame.. rly hope he comes on though..

With the other comments:

anyone that watched the game able to tell me how Abraham Attallah and Dj Harris went
DJ Harris didnt play thru injury, his replacement went rly well though Carr a rangy fella played quite well with a long run down field and a well put down wingers try. Attallah was pretty good, scored 1 and I noticed him a few times.

Surely they should have Drew Hutchison leading them around the park. At only 19 he has a few years to develop before Benji and Widdop hang up the boots. Let Shannon Crook lead the Cutters and Hutch to lead the 20's. I can see the want to blood Hutch but not the need just yet. But they are a very young side and lost some great quality from last year due to age. But get Hutch back to show and to learn a bit more of the leadership qualities needed by good half backs.
Good luck for the rest of the year boys.
I think they are fast-tracking Hutchinson as the replacement for Widdop/Benji if they cop an injury... need someone... but yeah I do take ur point.. they could really use a bit of quality/direction.

Oh and they can't defend for shit.
I do find the U20's really hard to watch because they just swap tries until someone wins, but today I thought the dragons stood up and played some really gritty football, and defended well in patches, but late in the game the dogs came over the top of them.. missing a bit of size I think.. its really painful to have such a young side and I think its squad mismanagement actually, in future a blend of youth and experience is probably smarter.. cant be good for kids to be playing out of their depth each week.

Phil9496

Juniors
Was a disappointing game, we were the better team for about 60mins (12 all).. there was nothing in it mostly.. some good talent out there, Host, Kavanagh, Sele I thought all played well up front.. laid a good platform... Not really sure why we didnt put more points on with the good ball control early we had..

I was a bit bummed by Dufty, I think I was expecting him to tear the game apart like he did last year, but he was being tackled relatively easily, and hes a tiny bloke.. I mean hes still elusive but he didnt look better than anyone else out there if you get me..

Also I am still waiting to see big things from our other future first-grade centre in Izaac Thompson, im not making a fair estimate because ive only seen 3 games this year and some last year, but ive never actually seen him do something special, despite his big frame.. rly hope he comes on though..

With the other comments:

DJ Harris didnt play thru injury, his replacement went rly well though Carr a rangy fella played quite well with a long run down field and a well put down wingers try. Attallah was pretty good, scored 1 and I noticed him a few times.

I think they are fast-tracking Hutchinson as the replacement for Widdop/Benji if they cop an injury... need someone... but yeah I do take ur point.. they could really use a bit of quality/direction.

I do find the U20's really hard to watch because they just swap tries until someone wins, but today I thought the dragons stood up and played some really gritty football, and defended well in patches, but late in the game the dogs came over the top of them.. missing a bit of size I think.. its really painful to have such a young side and I think its squad mismanagement actually, in future a blend of youth and experience is probably smarter.. cant be good for kids to be playing out of their depth each week.

Well posted Rev.

Would like to get your thoughts on Shannon Crook. Message me if you like.

Host is a good young prospect, but what hope do they have with no leadership.

TheRev

First Grade
Well posted Rev.

Would like to get your thoughts on Shannon Crook. Message me if you like.

Host is a good young prospect, but what hope do they have with no leadership.
I really like Crook, I watched a game last year where he and Dufty looked like Cronk/Slater tearing a team apart.. he has a good running game too.. some speed.. but I dunno whats going on atm, he got dropped from the Cutters for Wallace (who also played rly well), then recalled when Wallace was injured... but there probably isnt room for the 3 of them to stay at the club.. so tough times ahead! Im hoping our talent coaches get it right with who they retain... =)

pjljmjjj

Juniors

With the other comments:

They are a very young side with only 6 players from last years team - Clune,Dufty,Sele,Leilula,Thompson and Host being the nucleus of team. I think all of them have another year in 20's. This does make it difficult when coming up against more experienced teams. Note Parra are also struggling and they have young team as well and made semis last year.

Having said that their attack is very pedestrian and any opposition coach could set their defensive pattern against them very easily. It is 95% of time 4 or 5 hit ups with none of the forwards looking to offload. Then usually a sweep play out back with Dufty the go to man. No options and naturally he has no chance with most defences waiting for him. But he is still the most dangerous player in team by far. Their defence is very ordinary and they seem to lack desire at times and very rarely can they holdout for two sets of 6.

saintm

Juniors
Your deduction of the U20s performance is spot on. The teams forward lack the power to make a punch and lay a platform for the backs. When the forwards do break the line they seldom offload. The sweep move that they use for Dufty has now been altered do use him as a decoy for Host or Leilua which has seen both of them score due to the defence covering Dufty.

They need to vary up their attack and let some of the creative players play more adlib. It can't hurt they are coming last. On the weekend Dufty played solid with no mistakes, good field position to cover the kicks, solid defence and hardly any quality ball in attack. I'm not sure what you want the kid to do in that situation.....

TheRev

First Grade
Your deduction of the U20s performance is spot on. The teams forward lack the power to make a punch and lay a platform for the backs. When the forwards do break the line they seldom offload. The sweep move that they use for Dufty has now been altered do use him as a decoy for Host or Leilua which has seen both of them score due to the defence covering Dufty.

They need to vary up their attack and let some of the creative players play more adlib. It can't hurt they are coming last. On the weekend Dufty played solid with no mistakes, good field position to cover the kicks, solid defence and hardly any quality ball in attack. I'm not sure what you want the kid to do in that situation.....
Totally hear you, not trying to bag the kid! Just saying that he had a few opportunities on those sweeping plays where he had a chance to razzle dazzle some opponents and maybe break the game open, but wasnt able too.. no dramas but just making the point that he didnt blow opposition defenders away this week, more as a reminder to anyone asking for him to be instantly thrown into 1st grade on the wing.. he still has a lot of development ahead of him.

Duck63

Juniors

I agree with you Saintm very hard for dufty this year,heavily marked but still very dangerous and doesn't make to many mistakes.