What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK

roboshark

Coach
Help..I'm sure this has been asked before but looking to do Scotland England and Ireland. Only have 3 weeks. What is the best way. Was looking at a week in each. Should I hire a car. Should I just do day trips from london

Have Googled a bit but having never been it is a bit confusing. Anyone help

Incorrect

Coach
Help..I'm sure this has been asked before but looking to do Scotland England and Ireland. Only have 3 weeks. What is the best way. Was looking at a week in each. Should I hire a car. Should I just do day trips from london

If you're planning on staying in London you obviously don't need a car and could probably do some day trips like you mentioned.

From London you can get a cheap flight to Edinburgh or Glasgow and hire a car from there and make your way around Scotland. Years ago I flew in to Edinburgh and hired a car then drove north to Perth and Aberdeen and then over to Inverness, Isle of Skye and then back to Glasgow ( lots of places in between of course). Then went to Stranraer and caught a ferry over to Belfast and then hired a car there and did Ireland. Not sure but you might be able to take a car over on that ferry now.

From Belfast, you can drive north to Portrush and over to the Giant's Causeway. Then continue in to the republic and make your way to the Wild Atlantic Way tourist drive. That will take you south along the West coast and you'll see some killer scenery. All the way down to Cork and eventually make your way back east over to Dublin... I love Scotland and Ireland (I have heaps of family in Ireland so have been there many times).

Depends what exactly you're in to of course, if you're a young'un and looking for nightclub action etc then my itinerary above won't be for you. But if you want to see some beautiful sights and experience some authentic Scottish highland and Irish culture it'd be a good start.... Might need more than 2 weeks though I'd reckon.... Enjoy!!!

roboshark

Coach
If you're planning on staying in London you obviously don't need a car and could probably do some day trips like you mentioned.

From London you can get a cheap flight to Edinburgh or Glasgow and hire a car from there and make your way around Scotland. Years ago I flew in to Edinburgh and hired a car then drove north to Perth and Aberdeen and then over to Inverness, Isle of Skye and then back to Glasgow ( lots of places in between of course). Then went to Stranraer and caught a ferry over to Belfast and then hired a car there and did Ireland. Not sure but you might be able to take a car over on that ferry now.

From Belfast, you can drive north to Portrush and over to the Giant's Causeway. Then continue in to the republic and make your way to the Wild Atlantic Way tourist drive. That will take you south along the West coast and you'll see some killer scenery. All the way down to Cork and eventually make your way back east over to Dublin... I love Scotland and Ireland (I have heaps of family in Ireland so have been there many times).

Depends what exactly you're in to of course, if you're a young'un and looking for nightclub action etc then my itinerary above won't be for you. But if you want to see some beautiful sights and experience some authentic Scottish highland and Irish culture it'd be a good start.... Might need more than 2 weeks though I'd reckon.... Enjoy!!!
Cool thanks mate. Big help

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I want you to enjoy it.

But really last place on earth I would go too, well not true, Afghanistan, North Korea.

But still...I do not see the attraction.

Each to thier own, enjoy it, your going in winter, enjoy the rain.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Pretty much what Incorrect said, London very easy to get around and no need for a car there and also you can do day trips from there also.

Was heading to the UK in 2020 before Covid scuttled the trip , was spending time in Brighton and London , also planned to go to Scotland which i hadn't been to since 1993 and also over to Ireland which i had never been to, you need a car to drive around Scotland and from memory it was beautiful. An Irish mate of ours who lives in Brighton was going to come to Ireland with us and hire a car and show us some of his homeland, Just hope we get the chance to do it sometime in the not to distant future.

Have been to London quite a few times and i never get sick of it, love Brighton also and could easily spend a few months there by itself. So much to do in London so and only having a week there make sure you do as much as you can, you will have no trouble filling the dots in there.

roboshark

Coach
I want you to enjoy it.

But really last place on earth I would go too, well not true, Afghanistan, North Korea.

But still...I do not see the attraction.

Each to thier own, enjoy it, your going in winter, enjoy the rain.
Why

mongoose

Coach
if you're going in the middle of winter be prepared for sun down at 3:30pm and sun rise at 8am.... London is awesome and the pub culture in the UK and Ireland is the best

Willow

Assistant Moderator

How was the trip?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I leave a week Sunday. Been a long time coming mate
Have a great trip. Usually an excellent time of year to go to London.
If you get a chance, go the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley. It's on in about two weeks from now. Every August I say this to someone. lol.
It is without a doubt a great experience, the fans really love the history and heritage of the game and sing loud and long, a completely different feel to here. Fanstastic stadium.
Get along to the Green Man pub beforehand to meet the locals. You'll see thousands of Rugby League supporters in soccer heartland. Check out the RL statue at the stadium.
Take the tube, the RL fans in England are more chatty than here.

Indian food - Ravi Shankars in Drummond Street.

Notting Hill Carnival is also on every August, but it's getting ridiculously crowded so be prepared.

And this may sound a little corny, but the London Big Bus tour is actually quite good. I normally avoid that touristy stuff but it was educational, and you could get off and on the various double decker busses as often as you like. Handy if you see a good pub. It was a good time out and easy going.

roboshark

Coach
Have a great trip. Usually an excellent time of year to go to London.
If you get a chance, go the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley. It's on in about two weeks from now. Every August I say this to someone. lol.
It is without a doubt a great experience, the fans really love the history and heritage of the game and sing loud and long, a completely different feel to here. Fanstastic stadium.
Get along to the Green Man pub beforehand to meet the locals. You'll see thousands of Rugby League supporters in soccer heartland. Check out the RL statue at the stadium.
Take the tube, the RL fans in England are more chatty than here.

Indian food - Ravi Shankars in Drummond Street.

Notting Hill Carnival is also on every August, but it's getting ridiculously crowded so be prepared.

And this may sound a little corny, but the London Big Bus tour is actually quite good. I normally avoid that touristy stuff but it was educational, and you could get off and on the various double decker busses as often as you like. Handy if you see a good pub. It was a good time out and easy going.
Yeah great tips thanks. I will be back when notting hill carnival is on this year. Will look into the challenge cup

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah great tips thanks. I will be back when notting hill carnival is on this year. Will look into the challenge cup
Def go if you’re there, it’s a great experience for any RL fan.
Get tickets in the Hull KR end, it will be very loud and if we win it will go off big time!
we went to Sherlock homes pub before the game for a decent lunch then tube to Wembley

if you’ve got time a bus day trip to bath and Cotswolds is worth it.
if you’re a Harry Potter fan the day trip to Harry Potter experience is amazing!

roboshark

Coach
Def go if you’re there, it’s a great experience for any RL fan.
Get tickets in the Hull KR end, it will be very loud and if we win it will go off big time!
we went to Sherlock homes pub before the game for a decent lunch then tube to Wembley

if you’ve got time a bus day trip to bath and Cotswolds is worth it.
if you’re a Harry Potter fan the day trip to Harry Potter experience is amazing!
Yep booked to go to bath and Cotswolds. Also a day trip up to york

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
16 year old me had a wild time at Carnival. Wandering around in the sun buying cans of beer off street side sellers and getting shit faced

Brian potter

Bench
Im obviously biased but no trip to the UK can be done without visiting the jewel in the crown of British tourism the Lake District.

probably best to visit the Lake District from Scotland if flying to Glasgow or if your driving to pass through it on your way to Scotland.

you won’t regret it.

Latest posts