What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Understanding the 2021 World Cup Qualifiers

Springs09

Juniors
I'm confused. Why do Philippines waltz in ahead of Cook Islands??

Because the Philippines are currently ranked 24th while the Cook Islands are ranked 30th, and according to that graphic the play-off for the 16th World Cup spot will include the Americas runner-up, the highest ranked Asia-Pacific team and the highest ranked Middle-East Africa team.

adamkungl

Immortal
And for good measure, Philippines will be playing at least 3 matches for ENWC which will increase their ranking, and Cook Islands have 0 scheduled matches.

langpark

First Grade
I think you'll find 'highest ranked' has nothing to do with world rankings. I believe it means, whoever wins the matches in that region. Of course, nothing has been announced yet, but hopefully soon.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think you'll find 'highest ranked' has nothing to do with world rankings. I believe it means, whoever wins the matches in that region. Of course, nothing has been announced yet, but hopefully soon.

I very much hope you are correct, but until proven otherwise I'm gonna assume "ranked" means "ranked". My hopes can only take so much crushing.

Springs09

Juniors

Then they need to change the wording. I mean for Middle-East/Africa, do South Africa even have anyone to play that fits WC Qualifying requirements?

I'd be very surprised if the Cook Islands play anyone other than maybe a Pacific Test next year.

langpark

First Grade
Agree, it's poorly worded. Rankings have never been used as a means to qualification (and rightly so) so I don't see why they'd start now.

latingringo101

Juniors
The only surprising obmision from the qualifiers are the Cooks,Hong Kong and Philippines. Everyone else involved (except maybe Scotland) deserve a place in the qualifiers.

Robert B

Juniors
Plot Twist...I just read an English article that said Philippines are only Observer status and are not eligible to participate in World Cup Qualifiers.

Springs09

Juniors
Plot Twist...I just read an English article that said Philippines are only Observer status and are not eligible to participate in World Cup Qualifiers.

So what they mean by 'highest ranked Asia-Pacific' and 'highest ranked Middle-East/Africa' is Cook Islands and South Africa, aka the only eligible nations in those regions.

adamkungl

Immortal
That would appear to be the case actually.
The RLIF website has Cook Islands as full members and all others in Asia-Pacific as Observers.
The same goes for South Africa within MEA.

In which case... why arse about with ambiguous wording for the qualifiers? Just say Cook Islands and South Africa if that's what they mean.

Robert B

Juniors
That would appear to be the case actually.
The RLIF website has Cook Islands as full members and all others in Asia-Pacific as Observers.
The same goes for South Africa within MEA.

In which case... why arse about with ambiguous wording for the qualifiers? Just say Cook Islands and South Africa if that's what they mean.
Unless other countries still have time to achieve Affiliate membership??

adamkungl

Immortal
Unless other countries still have time to achieve Affiliate membership??

Unless their mid-processing now I don't think it will be possible.

We may as well start talking about whether the 2nd best American team can beat Cook Islands.
Hard to see South Africa making a dent unfortunately.

Force

Juniors
I hope with Scotland being allowed to qualify for the WC, it means they are getting their shite sorted.

adamkungl

Immortal
I hope with Scotland being allowed to qualify for the WC, it means they are getting their shite sorted.

More likely it means that the RLIF/RLEF are very, very unwilling to revoke memberships. Booting someone like Scotland would be a worse look for the game than letting them play and only a few nerds on the internet caring about the rules.

deluded pom?

Coach
More likely it means that the RLIF/RLEF are very, very unwilling to revoke memberships. Booting someone like Scotland would be a worse look for the game than letting them play and only a few nerds on the internet caring about the rules.
But rools is rools adam.

adamkungl

Immortal
The qualifiers have officially kicked off with Czechia recording a 20-12 win over Norway.
Norway now need a big win over Germany to keep their hopes alive...

Next up is Malta v Ukraine, in Malta, on June 30.

Taking a look forward at the set up for the final European qualifiers for 2019:
Featuring Italy, the bottom 2 A levels, the top 2 B levels, and the top C level nation.

The best set up would be to seed it like this:

Group 1: Italy - A4 - B2
Group 2: A3 - B1 - C1

As you can see, it prevents repeat matches between the A and B teams, and it gives a slightly easier qualification route for nations that place higher in the previous tournaments.