What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven team numbers

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Just wondering if it would be a good idea to give 1 or 3 bid teams a go. An uneven number of teams would allow a bye each week without affecting the competition and reduce player fatigue.

Would this work?

docbrown

Coach
If there's strong cases from multiple bids and they meet requirements and the NRL has the money to fund them, then they should at least present those bids with a timeline for future acceptance.

That said I think we've at a place where in the next round we need a strong Perth bid, a strong Brisbane bid and get Central Coast sorted before the Bears drop out permanently.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I guess from the league's pov they might see it as diluting the talent pool/making the comp less unpredictable without the added benefit of selling another game to the tv stations.

Personally I wouldn't mind.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
But you could give teams 8 games then a rest, keeping them fresh all year without having shitty bye rounds. Just a thought anyway, I may have posted it before when the GC AFL side came in. I read a player saying it was refreshing to get regular breaks or something along those lines.

PaddyBoy

Juniors
In other words keep the standard higher because they aren't tired and can recover from injury.

docbrown

Coach
But you could give teams 8 games then a rest, keeping them fresh all year without having shitty bye rounds. Just a thought anyway, I may have posted it before when the GC AFL side came in. I read a player saying it was refreshing to get regular breaks or something along those lines.

Well the NRL looks like it will be run from first weekend in March with the Grand Final first weekend in October.

This means there's a 27 week window. With 12 home & 12 away games that's 3 byes that teams could have. Give each club 2 during the rep rounds and with Origin on Monday night that means each club only loses their players for 2 games max. Then they can get 1 bye elsewhere during the season.

It might not be a perfect 8 games then a rest, but for a lot of teams it could be something similar to -

8 games
Bye for Rep
4 games
Bye for Rep
6 games
Bye
6 games

I can see the benefit of that from the player's viewpoint. Longer season but more in-season recovery windows.

Goddo

Bench
With the big financial windfall from the TV deal, and Channel 9's valuing of a second Brisbane bid regardless of a 9th game, we might see one club in 2015 (in Brisbane) and then another in 2016 (Perth or Gosford).

The advantage of that would be the effect on the player market. It didn't work in the AFL because the clubs targeted 17 year olds and the advantages were heavily draft skewed, but would in the NRL with an open player market and no draft.

The game is in a strong position, but we still need teams over the next say 50 years in Perth, South NZ, Brisbane, Adelaide, North Brisbane/Sunshine Coast, Central Coast.

docbrown

Coach
The game is in a strong position, but we still need teams over the next say 50 years in Perth, South NZ, Brisbane, Adelaide, North Brisbane/Sunshine Coast, Central Coast.

I think we're definitely in agreement on that front. I don't view this as the final round of expansion. The NRL probably won't reach its 'definitive' form until it reaches 22-24 teams - of course that's some time away.

Goddo

Bench
Yep. But of those 6 for 2015,

North Brisbane/Sunshine Coast, South NZ, Adelaide - not ready, all 10 years away at best
Central Coast - not urgent with 10 NSW clubs already

The price is right Brisbane and Perth, come on down!

Yep. But of those 6 for 2015,

North Brisbane/Sunshine Coast, South NZ, Adelaide - not ready, all 10 years away at best
Central Coast - not urgent with 10 NSW clubs already

The price is right Brisbane and Perth, come on down!

How is the Central Coast not urgent? How clueless do you want to be?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Urgent for the Bears but Cc could, in theory, put together a different bid in years to come. Very doubtful it would be as strong as the Bears bid but in theory could happen.

Can't see them not bringing two teams in to max dollars for a weekly ninth game. Would be no advantage not to.

It's only people who have never been to the CC and seen its rugby league demographics or the passion for the game there that think it's not urgent. No club services this massive heartland, its literally like leaving a pot of gold outside your front door at night by not going there fairly soon.

bobmar28

Bench
It's only people who have never been to the CC and seen its rugby league demographics or the passion for the game there that think it's not urgent. No club services this massive heartland, its literally like leaving a pot of gold outside your front door at night by not going there fairly soon.

With 9 pots of silver inside.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But those RL demographics are not changing and will still be there in 10 years time, as long as the ARLC continues to promote the game in the region with opportunities for playing and viewing then those RL people are not just going to go and support AFL, soccer or RU. They will still be there in 10 years, still supporting, Wests, Manly,Centurions or whoever they have chosen to follow.

There will be a team on the CC at some point in time, will it be 2015? It is looking doubtful unless three teams are brought in which is the OP but I can;t see that happening.

But those RL demographics are not changing and will still be there in 10 years time, as long as the ARLC continues to promote the game in the region with opportunities for playing and viewing then those RL people are not just going to go and support AFL, soccer or RU. They will still be there in 10 years, still supporting, Wests, Manly,Centurions or whoever they have chosen to follow.

There will be a team on the CC at some point in time, will it be 2015? It is looking doubtful unless three teams are brought in which is the OP but I can;t see that happening.

Their not changing? The door has been slammed in the faces of the good people of the CC and you don't think another knock back especially with a water right bid wont change a thing? Wake up mate, ofcourse itll change and for the worse not better.

Theyre not changing? The door has been slammed in the faces of the good people of the CC and you don't think another knock back especially with a water right bid wont change a thing? Wake up mate, ofcourse itll change and for the worse not better.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No I don't think it will dramatically. I do not believe for one minute that rl Fans are so shallow or weak that they switch codes. Form attendances at games in Gosford it seems plenty are already following an existing nrl team and that won't change. I can see from the bears point of view the urgency but from Rl fans in Gosford I am not convinced. Good jnr programmes and regular nrl games will keep them from becoming mariners fans, if mariners survive.

KnightsMan90

Juniors
If CC people are going to switch codes when RL is in their DNA, they have several teams within a 60-75 minute drive of them, get several games at blue tongue every year, 3 games a week on FTA and no other code has any intention of putting a team their either then that's just sad.

And if you wanna use the soccer/mariners excuse, Its played during the summer, with little crossover between it and RL. And that's provided the Mariners don't fold soon anyway. So no excuse there.

Bro Bear

Juniors
If CC people are going to switch codes when RL is in their DNA, they have several teams within a 60-75 minute drive of them, get several games at blue tongue every year, 3 games a week on FTA and no other code has any intention of putting a team their either then that's just sad.

There maybe other teams the CC locals can travel to watch but the CC want their own team to support - the CC Bears.

The CC juniors which has one of the biggest catchments in Aust want their own team to play for. They maybe able to watch other teamsat Bluetongue but they want to play there for their own club - the CC Bears.

KnightsMan90

Juniors
There maybe other teams the CC locals can travel to watch but the CC want their own team to support - the CC Bears.

The CC juniors which has one of the biggest catchments in Aust want their own team to play for. They maybe able to watch other teamsat Bluetongue but they want to play there for their own club - the CC Bears.

And what does an of that have to do with Bears fans whinging CC RL fans will support other codes if they don't get a team.

Latest posts