What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union claiming hayne?

roughyedspud

Coach
As far as america knows hayne was a "rugby" star....thats how hes described by us tv folk..

In general americans probably have no idea theres two codes...

Fox sports are currently running a radio ad,i heard it on triple m today,where a american "announcer" uses NFL terms to try and promote the union world cup on foxtel...

Thats a clear reference to hayne & the 49ers imo...

I think hayne needs to start making it clear which code he came from and how league is a far better sport than union.....or else union will just claim him..

Perth Red

Post Whore
95% of the world don't know their are two codes of Rugby. That's what happens when you give up on the international game and have no plan to grow the sport. The promotion vp for the RUWC in England is massive at the moment, every pub and street corner has something promoting on. No wonder the great unwashed think there is just one Rugby.

TheDalek079

Bench
cool-story-bro.jpg

RoosTah

Juniors
As far as america knows hayne was a "rugby" star....thats how hes described by us tv folk..

Fox sports are currently running a radio ad,i heard it on triple m today,where a american "announcer" uses NFL terms to try and promote the union world cup on foxtel...

I think hayne needs to start making it clear which code he came from and how league is a far better sport than union.....or else union will just claim him..

Yeah, the Wallabies were trying to piggy back off him too. Didn't work - crowd at Soldier Field Chicago was far from the sell out last year for the All Blacks.

That said, Hayne IS educating the U.S. press on the difference between League and Union and it IS trickling down slowly:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ugby-league-star-jarryd-hayne-makes-the-49ers

Last Week

Bench

He doesn't need to do shit. He's not a Rugby League player any more.

Brutus

Referee
Let's get rid of the name rugby league.

Change it to 'the greatest game of all'.

Wilson1

Juniors
LOL at anyone who thinks that Hayne is going to go over there and worry about inane code wars. He has moved well past that.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
All I am seeing in American articles is 'NRL' and 'National Rugby League'.

What is the problem here? This is what is going to be google searched in homes across the Bay Area and the rest of the U.S.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Eh, Unionites have no shame. They already try and claim Touch Football & use influence in governments to have RL comps and their assets handed over the local RU comps.

The IRB could claim Tom Brady was a junior but it wouldn't attract any Americans because Union is a boring mess of a sport.

Last Week

Bench
Graph of Google trends over last 12 months in the US.

Graph%201_zps0q67g7vv.jpg

For comparison, I've removed State of Origin and added "Rugby" to this one.

Graph%202_zpsef5dewtu.png

For those curious, you can do your own searches and comparisons for google searches here.

https://www.google.com/trends

Over the last 2 months (where before and after Hayne made his pre season debut for the 49ers) searches for "NRL" and "Rugby League" has increased ever so slightly.

Last edited:

DiegoNT

First Grade
It's quite simple really, they're will be minor interest in hayne but not enough to see a huge uptake /interest in either code of rugby, so union claiming hayne does nothing in America . But the advert trying to claim hayne as one of their own and saying 'our best player is Israel Folau, a rugby league convert' ( who by the way was probably outside the top 30 players in the nrl by the time he left ) just shows everyone in Australia how pathetic the ARU and gives us a something to have a good hardy Lol@ARU over.

CC_Roosters

First Grade

NFL and ESPN America have been clear on where he came from as far as everything I have seen. The NRL has been tagged in the official NFL facebook sites posts about Hayne and he has been labelled a rugby league player in ESPN and NFL articles I have read

Parra

Referee
All I am seeing in American articles is 'NRL' and 'National Rugby League'.

What is the problem here? This is what is going to be google searched in homes across the Bay Area and the rest of the U.S.

That is what any rational person sees. Doesn't fit the agenda for ratbags so they just make up what they want.

Brutus

Referee
Just seen a Fox Sports USA story on Hayne and they interviewed a USA rugby union coach about the transition from 'rugby' to NFL.

The coach talked as though Hayne was a rugby union star.

Union appears to be taking the credit for this.

Latest posts