What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Union Hypocrisy Strikes

mono_mal

Juniors
Union Hypocrisy Strikes
Rugby Union is currently crying foul over claims by rugby league fans that they claim are attempting to downgrade their World Cup.
It seems the union bosses and fans alike who continuously criticised our own World Cup in 2000 cannot accept that their code faces similar problems on an international level.
At the time of our World Cup league constantly faced criticism from ‘rugby’ particularly directed at the over usage of the grandparents rule and residency rules, also used by the IRB, and the lack of competition apart from the 3 powerhouse nations, Australia, New Zealand and England.
The union world cup can only boast 5 sides at most capable of winning their showpiece event and has failed to provide viewers with an upset throughout the competition as yet. On top of this only one close contest has been provided. This coming from a game between Fiji and the United States of America, a side whose backline includes Phillip Eloff (South Africa), Riann Van Zyl (South Africa), Mike Hercus (Australia), Jason Keyter (South Africa/England), and Mose Timoteo (Samoa).
Apart from the make up of the Eagles team the Scottish and Japanese team also boast New Zealand imports amongst others so perhaps before the supposed ‘World’ game of union criticises the state of international league perhaps they should look in their own backyard.
Rugby League’s World Cup suprisingly offered a number of upsets by the likes of the Cook Islands and Samoa and all contests not involving the likes of Australia, New Zealand and England were relatively close and entertaining.
Whilst admittingly at a stronger position than league on an international level the clear gaps between the top five and those under them is growing larger at a rapid rate. Many international union bodies are also facing financial problems as rugby league continues to make inroads in traditionally rugby union dominated areas such as the likes of New Zealand, the south of England, Wales and New Caledonia. Rugby League also continues to improve in France following the appalling treatment directed at our game by the rugby union influenced governments which attempted to destroy rugby league following its rapid rise in the country and the threat it posed to the insecure rugby authorities.
John O’Neil has also criticised the ARL for scheduling their Kangaroo Tour to coincide with the Union World Cup, an unreasonable claim as the correlating seasons of the English and Australian domestic seasons leaves little alternatives available. The Kangaroo tours are also traditionally played at the conclusion of the Australian domestic competition so there is no reason there would be a difference in scheduling now.
Interestingly O’Neill has not criticised the AFL for scheduling their International Rules fixtures against Ireland during the World Cup nor Baseball who are currently holding their World Series tournament.
So to all the union supporters crying foul of criticism faced from rugby league’s legion of fans all I can say is ‘good riddance’.

Ben Cheeseman

dimitri

First Grade
john oneill typifies all rugby yawnion supporters

in my opinion

they all talk a load of crap

JasonE

Bench
They brag about how many countrys play the game of RU but if Namibia is in the top 15 or 20, how bad are the rest ?

Tidus_Raider

Bench
142-0. From a team ranked 4th in the world and currently third favourites to win the comp. Not only that but it was the Wannabees second string side.

The Partisan

Funny, but I don't remember any scorelines like 20-25 goals to nil in the soccer (football !) world cup of 2002 AND that was the top 32 teams .

In-goal

Bench
Kangaroos win buy 50 a farce
Wannabies win buy 142 outstanding effort?????
i don't understand

ali

Bench
The Partisan said:
Funny, but I don't remember any scorelines like 20-25 goals to nil in the soccer (football !) world cup of 2002 AND that was the top 32 teams .

Quite frankly that's because football is an absolute genuine world game where you could find 70 or so nations who would be at least competitive in a World Cup. Union may be played by over 90 countries, but 75 them only play social rugby union and a few others are nations so small they would never have a hope of winning the thing.

bayrep

Juniors
And yet league fans have just as short a momory. TO make up the LWC we had to have a NZ B side (Moari), NZ C (Samoa), Aus B (Lebanon), Eng B (Wales) and yet we tried to state that internaional league was a world wide growing sport. You do not think that we need to get our own house in order before mouthing off at what a farce this UWC is ? Union has far more growth than league does yet some league fans are very quick to jump on the bandwagon and claim otherwise. Also Namibia is 25th in the world and have few resources to compete with the likes of Aus and atleast Nambia has a team from Nambia not like Lebanon who didnt even know what league was pre to the LWC. Also union has a policy that once you compete for a country you are not allowed to compete for another. Yet league is allowed to jump ship every year. Some of you have short mems when it comes to the negatives on league.

And before you all jump on me about union, I thought the Aus - Nambia game was a joke and switched over after only 10mins. I am glade that I wasnt the idiot that forked out money to go to the game.

dimitri

First Grade
you fail to mention many other factors
but lebanon certainly isnt an aus b side as uyou put it

and wales now has more local players playing for them than ever before

most the lebanese were born there and they now have a successful domestic competition

the worst score at our world cup was 110-4

which was between the world champs and a pure russian team who have been playing the game for a few years

In-goal

Bench
Our competition is not the LWC it is infact the Rugby World Cup.
Rugby a 13 a side game played buy modern Gladiators.

JasonE

Bench
Bayrep what upsets me and I think I talk for most League fans is that here in Australia, the Rugby Union fraternity took great delight in bashing the hell out of the 2000 Rugby League World Cup, pointing out several one-sided scorelines and the fact that players like Ricketson represented his grand parents home nation.

Now that the RU WC has had many more one-sided blowouts and we see several nations being represented by blowins we are supposed to ignore that and hear how wonderful it all is.

eg: as similiar to what In-Goal said in another post,

RL: Australia 58 bt Fiji 12 = FARCE

RU: All Blacks 90 bt Tonga 7 = WONDERFUL

bayrep

Juniors
JasonE said:
Bayrep what upsets me and I think I talk for most League fans is that here in Australia, the Rugby Union fraternity took great delight in bashing the hell out of the 2000 Rugby League World Cup, pointing out several one-sided scorelines and the fact that players like Ricketson represented his grand parents home nation.

Now that the RU WC has had many more one-sided blowouts and we see several nations being represented by blowins we are supposed to ignore that and hear how wonderful it all is.

eg: as similiar to what In-Goal said in another post,

RL: Australia 58 bt Fiji 12 = FARCE

RU: All Blacks 90 bt Tonga 7 = WONDERFUL

And I agree, but some of you are just as quick to throw stones as these back pocket union Media types and some of their fans. As for being more blow outs well there were more teams for a start which means more minows more blow outs. Also take into account the the B and C sides from the stronger League nations which helped reduce the blow outs in League.

As for Dims 110 - 4 justifications that was just as bad as this 142 - 0, stop trying to hold this up as a shining light to say that league is better. To say that league has moved on with more Welsh players a better cup comp in Lebanon etc is all fine now but 3 years ago it was just as much a farce as these minows are if not worse as league had to make up the teams from the 3 only strong nations at the comp.

In goal - pleasssse matie just a little rich.

I am not trying to defend the Union blow outs just trying to get some balance. The more one sided some of these post goes the worse they get. I agree I think the media that is obviously in the back pocket of the union league is spouting crap but that doesnt mean that league has to spout as much crap to compensate. Union media reports are a laugh by themselves with out having to pull the rest of us down.

In-goal

Bench
So it's alright for Onion to abuse Rugby but when the shoe is on the other foot we must stay quiet.

Try reading an older post titled with something like" Wondering about the quality of French teams latley"

Then try and ask me to be fair again.

legend

Coach
If we stay quiet we will become and easier target than we already are. We have to act like upstarts to get some respect from a bunch of chardonnay sipping, pretentious, elitist wankers.

The RWC is a farce. It has nothing on Soccer. How many purely professional teams are playing the "world cup"? Less than half which pretty much dispels any myth about this so called "world cup".

bayrep

Juniors
Im not saying stay quiet at all. What I am saying is that base your quips on fact rather than exaggeration or we will feel the full brunt of it the next time. We are already seeing the the union media types hanging them selves with some of the crap they have come out with, most people are not blind or stupid. Go back and read some of the posts, they are not based on fact just a chance to have a dig at something they do not know all the facts on.

Razor

Coach
bayrep said:
Also take into account the the B and C sides from the stronger League nations which helped reduce the blow outs in League.

You talk about the B & C sides that played for the top sides in the RLWC? But completely ignore the fact that the same thing is happening in the RUWC, if not more - just like that 2nd string Aussie side which won 142-0 - When Australia beat Russia, it was virtually a top Aussie side. Lockyer, Rogers, Fittler were the only guys who didn't play that match.

bayrep

Juniors
Razor said:
bayrep said:
Also take into account the the B and C sides from the stronger League nations which helped reduce the blow outs in League.

You talk about the B & C sides that played for the top sides in the RLWC? But completely ignore the fact that the same thing is happening in the RUWC, if not more - just like that 2nd string Aussie side which won 142-0 - When Australia beat Russia, it was virtually a top Aussie side. Lockyer, Rogers, Fittler were the only guys who didn't play that match.

:lol: wrong end of the stick Razor I meant NZ Moari, Samoa, Wales and Lebanon.

eastsrule

Bench
Samoa vs ENgland - Good Game
Ireland vs Argentina - Good Game
Japan vs USA - Decent Game

How many years had the RLWC been going for? This is the 5th RWC (Rugby Union IS Rugby), of course there will be blow out scores. The soccer world cup has developed into a more even playing field, and watch as the minnows benefit from playing in the RWC.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Did anyone watch The Back Page on Fox Sports last night?

FitzSimons's once again harped praise on the RUWC and it seemd the only one he convinced was himself. Fair dinkum that bloke has zero cred with me.